What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It'll be really interesting to see to what degree the Fox-sphere and Trumpists drive GOP supporter opinion, and to what degree it reflects and follows.

If Tucker and Trump and their proxies keep trying to slip in pro-Putin and anti-Ukraine points, will that carry a cost for them or will it move the GOP supporter opinion?

Sheilbh

I think Trump has moved from Putin's smart for doing this to how great Zelensky is.

My take is so much of Trump is just aesthetics and appearance - he doesn't care about anything beyond that whether it's a building's structural stability, a business's viability or actual political/policy achievements. I think Putin matched his view of a butch alpha strongman v weak Obama. I think he now likes Zelensky for the same reason.

On cost I don't know - the one I find interesting is vaccines because Trump keeps trying (with some justification - it's probably his administration's one genuine achievement) to take the credit for vaccines and his crowds lightly boo him for it and he backs off. Again I'm not convinced he's really a leader even in that sense.

On Fox from what I've read they're just all over the place. My own take is Murdoch will want viewers and Fox to be centre of the conversation. I think going down a pro-Putin line would not help that. That line seems to have been strongest with Carlson who's been pushing this "Christian nationalist" vision of Orban and Putin for a while - and is close to Yoram Hazony and his whole "national conservatism" conferences (which sound like they've degraded even in the two or three years they've been running :lol:), with Rod Dreher as a bit of a blunt cutting edge of that stream - I think he's more or less permanently based in Budapest now. At the minute they mainly seem to be moaning about the risk of a liberal nuclear war by supporting a no fly zone (and they're right - that is a bad idea also opposed by Biden), but I don't think backing a war of national liberation/resistance would be a challenge to their views.

There's a really specific Evangelical angle around the end of the world. They are basically as negative about Russia and as supportive of sanctions as the Amerivan average - but disapprove of Biden far more than the average American (there's probably a bit of dissonance going on). But the interesting thing is that their read on the end of the world in the Bible is that it starts with Gog and Magog launching an assault on Israel - and I think from the Cold War they've read Gog and Magog as Russia/the Soviet Union. So the Evangelical press is alive right now with whether this is the start of end times. I'm not sure where that thinking will go but it's an interesting, slightly crazy side of this situation.

The overall trend I see is that they're backing what Biden is doing in substance but still trying to find ways to distinguish themselves/attack him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2022, 02:47:47 PMMy take is so much of Trump is just aesthetics and appearance - he doesn't care about anything beyond that whether it's a building's structural stability, a business's viability or actual political/policy achievements.

You don't fucking say?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I've never claimed to be searingly original :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I see senate passed a bill to stop all this time change.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2022, 06:28:54 PMI see senate passed a bill to stop all this time change.

Finally! I hope this thing is law before October.

I guess Marco Rubio did something I liked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

I hope so, if the US does it, BC would do it the next day.

CountDeMoney

It all ends when parents figure out they're sending their kids to the school bus stop in the dark come January.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 09:30:03 AMIt all ends when parents figure out they're sending their kids to the school bus stop in the dark come January.

Rather than moving all time an hour why not just have different school hours in winter?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josquius on March 16, 2022, 11:59:01 AMRather than moving all time an hour why not just have different school hours in winter?

Because you're not on any school boards, Copernicus.

The Brain

Schoolboarding is considered cruel and unusual.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Clarence Thomas is hospitalized with flu like symptoms.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2022, 09:34:33 PMClarence Thomas is hospitalized with flu like symptoms.

Well, he's probably vaccinated against Covid. And the treatments are pretty effective, so he'll probably be okay.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2022, 09:37:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2022, 09:34:33 PMClarence Thomas is hospitalized with flu like symptoms.

Well, he's probably vaccinated against Covid. And the treatments are pretty effective, so he'll probably be okay.

Well...isn't that...great. Hope he is fine. Yep.

Berkut

I am just not going to comment on the grounds that what I would say if I were honest is pretty fucking terrible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned