News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

:lol: or ^_^ would be more apt.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2021, 03:44:11 PM
I thought it was well put, so I laughed. Many of the things you say (well two years ago when I was here) come across as dry, understated, and true. That's kind of where my sense of humour lives.

I agree with you that the progressive left is generally not insincere. The scope of all the other things you imply you can accuse the left of is pretty darn vast. The phrase you used was pretty precise in conveying how you feel about the progressive left, which is IIRC not particularly enthusiastic.

Maybe I picked the wrong emoticon. I meant to convey: "Well put, Yi. Your epic understatement made me laugh."

Thanks. :cheers:

Malthus

The more I think of it, the more I think there simply is no real future for the GOP.

They can't reject Trumpism without splitting the party, meaning continuing election losses into the near term future. They can't *not* reject Trumpism, as it is ever more clearly associated in the mind of the average person with domestic terrorism.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

They will try to do neither of those things. They will try to stay the "Democrats are bad" party and eventually get back their corporate support while trying to ignore the Trump question. The question is will the Trump supporters let them get away with it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2021, 05:23:09 PM
They will try to do neither of those things. They will try to stay the "Democrats are bad" party and eventually get back their corporate support while trying to ignore the Trump question. The question is will the Trump supporters let them get away with it?

The problem with the 'ostrich' strategy is, as you note, that the Trumpites will not go quietly into that good night.

I expect angry and violent incident from assorted yahoos will keep people on edge for a long time to come, leaving the Republicans in an awkward position. Particularly if Trump and his family are vocally egging the Yahoos on.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Intraparty conflict is unavoidable.  The crazy wing has already branded McConnell Rafensperger et al traitors.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2021, 05:19:12 PMas it is ever more clearly associated in the mind of the average person with domestic terrorism.

I am not convinced that the "average person" thinks that yet. Certainly most Americans will disapprove with the attack on the Capitol, but they will continue to "empathize" with them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/09/most-americans-reject-attack-capitol-but-millions-empathize-with-mob/

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 11, 2021, 05:41:02 PM
I am not convinced that the "average person" thinks that yet. Certainly most Americans will disapprove with the attack on the Capitol, but they will continue to "empathize" with them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/09/most-americans-reject-attack-capitol-but-millions-empathize-with-mob/

1/3 of Trump voters is not "most Americans."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2021, 05:43:51 PM

1/3 of Trump voters is not "most Americans."

No, it's not. But disapproval isn't "domestic terrorism".
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Yeah. To me the question is to what degree the impact of this rupture will carry forward to the next set of elections (mid-terms, 2026) both locally and nationally.

It seems likely that there'll be some kerfuffles between the terrorist wing, the radical but not terrorist wing, and the not-radical-but-not-disgusted-enough-to-leave wing in the coming years. I guess it comes down to how much that weighs on the public perception compared to how much fatigue accrues to the Democrats from being in power.

Then there's the bit about whether Fox changes their tune and whether OANN (or equivalent) grows significantly. And how deep and sustained the business withdrawal from the insurrectionists is.

Lots of questions at this point.

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2021, 05:19:12 PMas it is ever more clearly associated in the mind of the average person with domestic terrorism.

Yeah, Americans would probably soon get tired of or forget the mob storming the Capitol — if it was a singular event.

The question is what will happen if, as I suspect, Trump's supporters keep assaulting government institutions once Trump is out of power. The public would, I suspect, quickly grow tired of this level of chaos being unleashed on them in support of Trump's fantasy life.

It is the continuing discord that will cause any "empathy", other than on the part of the truly deluded, to dry up. At least, that's the theory.

Admiral Yi

I do not believe Americans are going to forget the storming of the Capitol.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2021, 06:37:40 PM
I do not believe Americans are going to forget the storming of the Capitol.

Fair.

Replace "forget" with "allow the Republicans to successfully distance themselves from the event".