I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Barrister

Just wondering how everyone is making out these days, and thought I'd pollify it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I am a freelancer so I technically haven't been laid off, but all my gigs have been suspended/cancelled.

Barrister

They've cancelled a lot of court appointments, but I still need to go to court.  I can work remotely when not in court.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I'm essential...lol.

But I'm only going to the office once or twice a week. I do plan on scaling that down. WE'll see.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Iormlund

Other. I'm working till Friday, then I join the temporary layoff scheme.

merithyn

I'm working from home until at least April 20th, though the expectation is May 20th.

Which is a big win since my eldest two children have been laid off (both work in restaurants) so I'm helping them for the foreseeable future.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

I run the Receiving and Mail Services at UC Santa Cruz.  Both are considered essential.  What that means is that my team are essential to maintaining the spread of covid-19 in these times.  After a week of banging my head, I have the department on semi-curtailment.  That means we receive mail, UPS and Fedex, and freight, but we no longer deliver it.  I have instituted means for distancing if packages are picked up, and I am assured we will get more gloves and hand-sanitizer shortly (which I translate to 8-10 weeks).

I figure I will get some sort of nice sympathy card after I catch this, and having long-term bronchial problems after a couple of bouts of uninsured bronchitis in my 20s, I could be a prime test case. 

My view - we're screwed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

I am working from home until um...well...the date keeps moving out from me. I think I get to go back into the office on April 13th now.

We'll see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Oh, and nice fucking way to screw up a poll and have a "Jaron Option"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2020, 05:21:35 PM
I am working from home until um...well...the date keeps moving out from me. I think I get to go back into the office on April 13th now.

We'll see.

Naw man, you have to go back to work by April 6th. The White House called.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 05:20:59 PM
I'm working from home until at least April 20th, though the expectation is May 20th.

Which is a big win since my eldest two children have been laid off (both work in restaurants) so I'm helping them for the foreseeable future.

I hope they take some time to spend with their mom after this :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2020, 05:22:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2020, 05:21:35 PM

We'll see.

Naw man, you have to go back to work by April 6th. The White House called.

This is Texas. The President has no power here! But seriously this is a decision by the local government.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on March 24, 2020, 05:21:17 PM
I run the Receiving and Mail Services at UC Santa Cruz.  Both are considered essential.  What that means is that my team are essential to maintaining the spread of covid-19 in these times.  After a week of banging my head, I have the department on semi-curtailment.  That means we receive mail, UPS and Fedex, and freight, but we no longer deliver it.  I have instituted means for distancing if packages are picked up, and I am assured we will get more gloves and hand-sanitizer shortly (which I translate to 8-10 weeks).

I figure I will get some sort of nice sympathy card after I catch this, and having long-term bronchial problems after a couple of bouts of uninsured bronchitis in my 20s, I could be a prime test case. 

My view - we're screwed.

Yeah I noticed the USPS is still reliably delivering my junk mail every day. I sure hope at least something they are delivering is worth it.

Oexmelin

You know how it works though. Fox will start churning out the idea that we need to save America's economy. Trump will be nasty and tie compliance to all sorts of things. Republican governors will overturn the lockdowns, and they will have the support of a sizeable chunk of the population.
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2020, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 05:20:59 PM

I hope they take some time to spend with their mom after this :P

:rolleyes:

That is so not going to happen. If I get sick and end up intubated, they'll spend an hour a month with me for about six months, then forget.

I guess I should be proud that in general they're self-sufficient?  :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...