News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

No posts in two weeks, I can see why... the show is weird. Lots of interesting ideas and world building, pretty tacky dialogue and lame plotting.

Josephus

We're almost halfway through the season.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Per episode, nothing is happening. Last week was just 45 minutes leading to meeting 7 of 9.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2020, 08:11:52 AM
Per episode, nothing is happening. Last week was just 45 minutes leading to meeting 7 of 9.

Last week they  introduced a new character and a new sect of  Romulan culture.  We also learned the details of why Picard left Star Fleet.

Grey Fox

See! I didn't even remember anything but the last minute!

Maladict

Thanks guys. I'm planning to watch ep.3-4 tonight, which one can I skip?

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on February 19, 2020, 08:47:54 AM

None.  I have a feeling they will be important in the future.  So far, it looks like the entire season is one big pilot: identify the crew members, establish who are the ennemies.   Mix that with a those of Mass Effect while you go around picking up side quests to recruit new members.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Kind of like the first half of the last harry potter film.

A lot of getting stuff ready for the next season.

I'm being patient on this, I'm sure we will be rewarded with two excellent episodes towards the end.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

None they are good and important to the world building exercise.  I am not sure what GF is smoking

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2020, 09:43:36 AM

None they are good and important to the world building exercise.  I am not sure what GF is smoking

Yes, they were.

Grey Fox

I am just still bitter that Picard is breaking the Trek formula.

Tamas

It's boring, guys. You are allowed to say it.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2020, 10:49:29 AM

Explain
Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on February 20, 2020, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2020, 10:49:29 AM

Explain

The episodes are not self contained. There is no fun episode arc, only a season arc.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2020, 12:06:22 PM
It's boring, guys. You are allowed to say it.

Yep. My brother dislikes it and he's an ST addict. That's enough for me to steer clear.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien