News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2020, 05:06:21 PM
Watching TNG is always fun but not really prerequisite for Picard.
Yeah, by the 3rd season, you know everything about warp core breaches, distortion in the space time continuum, reversing the shield polarity, rotating the shields' harmonics and using the delfector array for something else than it was conceived :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2020, 06:42:35 PM
Yeah, by the 3rd season, you know everything about warp core breaches, distortion in the space time continuum, reversing the shield polarity, rotating the shields' harmonics and using the delfector array for something else than it was conceived :P

:lol:

I read once, back in the TNG days, that the writers would frequently write something like:

Riker: "What shall we do Captain?"
Picard: "Jordi?"
Jordi: "Captain I recommend we --Add Science Fiction jargon here--- so we can turn around and gain back the time we lost."
Picard: "make it so.:

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I'm not sure. My girlfriend has never seen TNG and she is struggling with Picard.

Though to be honest I am a bit too. Trying to remember if some characters that appear have been seen before or not.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2020, 02:19:22 PM
I'm not sure. My girlfriend has never seen TNG and she is struggling with Picard.

Though to be honest I am a bit too. Trying to remember if some characters that appear have been seen before or not.

Other than Data, i dont' think anyone has appeared from the TV shows. And Data's only been in dreams.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Watching some of the "easter egg" videos on Youtube...it looks like this series is drawing quite a bit not only from the last TNG movie, but also some obscure comic book series (especially some of the characters that he has an apparent history with) as well.

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 01, 2020, 04:55:25 PM

Watching some of the "easter egg" videos on Youtube...it looks like this series is drawing quite a bit not only from the last TNG movie, but also some obscure comic book series (especially some of the characters that he has an apparent history with) as well.

Makes sense.
The doctor and the black chick both seemed telegraphed as being known characters... But no.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Probably the only background that would be helpful is watching Star Trek Nemisis

dps

It kills time until the show is available other than on CBS All Access.

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2020, 11:17:35 AM

I read that the first episode should now be free on CBS All Access's Youtube channel...but after that, I doubt it.  I don't think Discovery ever has been available elsewhere (in the States anyway).

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2020, 11:17:35 AM

When the season is done, subscribe for a month, it's 6$. Also includes 2 seasons of Discovery.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Threviel

Now and again I get offers to try different services for free, usually for a month. Plenty of time to catch up on what I want to see.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 02, 2020, 11:47:59 AMI don't think Discovery ever has been available elsewhere (in the States anyway).

Hasn't the first season had a DVD release?

Josephus

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2020, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 02, 2020, 11:47:59 AMI don't think Discovery ever has been available elsewhere (in the States anyway).

Hasn't the first season had a DVD release?
Both seasons have
Civis Romanus Sum

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2020, 10:51:48 AM

Probably the only background that would be helpful is watching Star Trek Nemisis

I would (and did) also re-watch TNG S2:E9 "The Measure of a Man".  It's very relevant to the central conflict.