News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2022, 07:09:31 PMBig and pretty positive write up of a podcast I love - Know Your Enemy:
Just to mention this one again as I just listened to an episode with a historian who's just written a book called Mothers of Conservatism which is basically about the role of organising activist 50s housewives in the creation of modern American conservatism - it is incredible, really worth listening to.

It's really interesting both on its own terms and the fascinating gendered angle of this history - but also it's echoes with the current moment.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2022, 11:05:42 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2022, 07:09:31 PMBig and pretty positive write up of a podcast I love - Know Your Enemy:
Just to mention this one again as I just listened to an episode with a historian who's just written a book called Mothers of Conservatism which is basically about the role of organising activist 50s housewives in the creation of modern American conservatism - it is incredible, really worth listening to.

It's really interesting both on its own terms and the fascinating gendered angle of this history - but also it's echoes with the current moment.

I wonder if this has been linked in any way with groups like the "Daughters of the Confederacy", it could give an overall view on the role of women in reactionary/conservative politics in the US through the ages.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2022, 03:07:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2022, 11:05:42 AM

I wonder if this has been linked in any way with groups like the "Daughters of the Confederacy", it could give an overall view on the role of women in reactionary/conservative politics in the US through the ages.

Its got the makings of a good PhD thesis.

Sheilbh

:lol: It was one - the guest's PhD and later book:
https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691163918/mothers-of-conservatism
QuoteMothers of Conservatism tells the story of 1950s Southern Californian housewives who shaped the grassroots right in the two decades following World War II. Michelle Nickerson describes how red-hunting homemakers mobilized activist networks, institutions, and political consciousness in local education battles, and she introduces a generation of women who developed political styles and practices around their domestic routines. From the conservative movement's origins in the early fifties through the presidential election of 1964, Nickerson documents how women shaped conservatism from the bottom up, out of the fabric of their daily lives and into the agenda of the Republican Party.

A unique history of the American conservative movement, Mothers of Conservatism shows how housewives got out of the house and discovered their political capital.

Particularly interesting - how family/protecting family from interference by the state was a very important mobiliser but also open to conspiracy theories like the weird obsession with UNESCO. Or the campaign against "progressive education" which was being imposed by school district officials and getting in between parents deciding what to teach kids (and probably communism). And the absolutely wild story of the American Siberia conspiracy theory about mental health spending in Alaska (then a territory).

It's really worth a listen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Harris has Gary Kasparov on his latest Common Sense, talking about the Ukraine war. Good stuff, but nothing really that new.

But it is interesting to hear an actual Russian talking about how Russia works, and how dumb the West can be in response.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2022, 08:28:31 AMHarris has Gary Kasparov on his latest Common Sense, talking about the Ukraine war. Good stuff, but nothing really that new.

But it is interesting to hear an actual Russian talking about how Russia works, and how dumb the West can be in response.

It does always amaze me that despite the fact that the United States usually has hundreds, if not thousands, of first generation immigrants from whatever country we are dealing with and some pretty brilliant people in our state department we still never seem to have any idea what we are doing. Ah well. I imagine most countries feel frustrated with their government's foreign affairs.

Anyway I generally enjoy listening to Kasparov talk chess so this one has been on my list of things to listen to at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Oh. Sam Harris. Cool.  :x
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 07:18:41 PMOh. Sam Harris. Cool.  :x

Yeah,it is difficult to listen to Harris' view of the world.  When he has interesting guests I try, but it's often not worth it.

Berkut

Well, he is rather anti-woke, and anti-left wing virtue signalling while actually trying to accomplish things, so I can see why some people cannot handle listening to him.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

He is also a condescending ass when speaking to his wife when she was on the early podcasts.  He is also completely oblivious to the fact there are other valid points of view which he dismisses out of hand.  Typical of someone who claims they are the one applying common sense.  But I can see how it appeals to a certain close minded segment of the American public who naturally gravitate to such views.

Berkut

You clearly do not actually listen to him, since he is much more willing to engage with people who disagree with him then 95% of the people who disagree with him. He just actually argues facts instead of emotion, which infuriates the woke crowd. 

It is in fact the exact opposite of close minded, which is in fact why I like listening to him, even though I disagree with him on many details, but I don't have that emotional, anger driven response to that fact that he disagrees with me others immediately go to...The irony of you complaining about someone being closed minded is delicious when it comes to explaining how you find it "difficult to listen to".

You see the difference, right? I don't always agree with him, but I don't find my disagreement results in me getting all emotionally charged up about him the way the left wing woke crowd does - because their disagreement, unlike mine, is actually about their faith, rather then actual policy or facts.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

:huh: I said in my first post that I have listened to some of his shows.  How do you think I formed my view about him?  Your characterization of what occurs in his shows are not what I have heard.  And is why I don't listen much any more. But he certainly reflects your world views (as you have expressed them here) and so I can understand why you find him so appealing. 

Sophie Scholl

Time to try out that new "mute user" feature!  :)
edit: Niiice!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 17, 2022, 05:12:06 PMTime to try out that new "mute user" feature!  :)
edit: Niiice!
That is so perfectly aligned with exactly what I was talking about - thanks!

0 rows returned