Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2022, 11:05:26 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2022, 11:00:31 AMI recall reading multiple times that pot use early in life increases the risk of schizophrenia, though it's not clear whether it increases the general risk, or just accentuates the existing predisposition.  Has that link ever been discredited?

There is a well-known correlation between marijuana and schizophrenia.

But because you can't exactly do double-blind studies on marijuana, we can't necessarily attribute causation - it might be that people susceptible to schizophrenia are just more likely to use marijuana.

Surely the same holds true for alcohol in terms of studying the effects?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 24, 2022, 03:53:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2022, 11:00:31 AMI recall reading multiple times that pot use early in life increases the risk of schizophrenia, though it's not clear whether it increases the general risk, or just accentuates the existing predisposition.  Has that link ever been discredited?

But because you can't exactly do double-blind studies on marijuana, we can't necessarily attribute causation - it might be that people susceptible to schizophrenia are just more likely to use marijuana.

Surely the same holds true for alcohol in terms of studying the effects?

Because alcohol has been legal for so long it is much better studied than marijuana.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

There is a well-established correlation between erratic behavior and being Elon Musk.   Do we really need any deeper analysis?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2022, 04:15:26 PMThere is a well-established correlation between erratic behavior and being Elon Musk.   Do we really need any deeper analysis?

:hmm:   Now that I look at it, 100% of the founders of the first US all-electric-car companies in the 21st Century have gone crazy.  Correlation is not causation, but...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2022, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2022, 04:15:26 PMThere is a well-established correlation between erratic behavior and being Elon Musk.   Do we really need any deeper analysis?

:hmm:   Now that I look at it, 100% of the founders of the first US all-electric-car companies in the 21st Century have gone crazy.  Correlation is not causation, but...
There cannot be a correlation when you only have one datapoint.  :contract:

Zoupa

You can absolutely do double blind studies using THC or other cannabinoids in tablet form. That's what my Masters was about, studying potential use of cannabinoids in the treatment of diabetic heart disease.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't work. I killed hundreds of poor rats for that non-result  :(

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2022, 04:15:26 PMThere is a well-established correlation between erratic behavior and being Elon Musk.  Do we really need any deeper analysis?
Well, it's not like it's only him. :)
And less smart, less rich people can also be erratic and create more localized problem. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 25, 2022, 12:27:04 AM

You can absolutely do double blind studies using THC or other cannabinoids in tablet form. That's what my Masters was about, studying potential use of cannabinoids in the treatment of diabetic heart disease.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't work. I killed hundreds of poor rats for that non-result  :(

Here is a good study from 2020 discussing the weaknesses in many of the studies and the need for further research to determine the causation issue.  Bottom line, as BB said, there is a clear correlation, some preliminary but weak evidence for causation, and loads of confounding factors.

One of my partners did a lot of work with experts in the area to help various decision makers create polices regarding use when it became legalized here.  At that time all of the evidence seemed to boil down to - its too early to tell what, if any, causal link there may be.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7442038/

Syt

I'm not sure who wrote this but isn't this beautiful:

Twas' 24 days into the month of May,
When 19 beautiful children stormed through Heaven's gate.
Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
They were filled with such joy; they didn't know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"Where are we," asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"This is heaven," declared a small boy. "We're spending the rest of eternity at God's house."
When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
But Jesus, their Savior. The children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
Then He opened His arms and He called them one at a time by name.
And in that moment was joy, that only Heaven can bring.
Those children all flew into the arms of their King of Kings.
And as they lingered in the warmth of His great BIG embrace,
One small girl turned and looked at Jesus face to face.
And as if He could read all the questions she had,
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."
Then He looked down on Earth, at the world far below.
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow and woe.
Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!
May this country be delivered from the hands of fools.
I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
Then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"Come now my children let me show you around."
Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran;
All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Zanza

The last sentence is written in first person. Does that mean it was posted from heaven straight to Facebook? I know that Facebook has accounts of millions of dead people, but I wasn't aware that they offer their service in the afterlife as well.

Syt

To quote Red Dwarf:

Death isn't the handicap it used to be in the olden days. It doesn't screw your career up like it used to.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

So I'm 99% sure the writer of that article meant the "fools" the country needs to be delivered from is "the left", but as read it works equally as well as being gun-loving MAGA heads...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"

One wonders what the all powerful god was waiting for