Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 11:32:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2022, 11:12:56 AM

Kinda confusing...  "OUI" is French for "YES".  :P

(Maine uses Operating Under influence instead of DUI)

I was confused as well.

But this is as good a time as any for one of my pet peeves - Canada does not use the term DUI.  Our equivalent is DWI - driving while impaired.  But for short form we typically just call it "impaired".  As in - I have an impaired trial on Monday (which I do!).

Good luck!  I hope you keep your licence!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2022, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 11:32:57 AMBut for short form we typically just call it "impaired".  As in - I have an impaired trial on Monday (which I do!).

Good luck!  I hope you keep your licence!

:lmfao:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2022, 12:19:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2022, 11:12:56 AM

Kinda confusing...  "OUI" is French for "YES".  :P

(Maine uses Operating Under influence instead of DUI)

That's amazing especially as Maine traditionally had francophone towns in the border areas (not sure if it still does but even so you don't have to be fluent to get the joke)
It still has, I see articles, from time to time, in major publications about Franco Americans :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Iowa has OUI as well.  So people will say do you have any owies?

viper37

I am glad German music has evolved a little nowadays :lol:

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

From Twitter.

I kind of want to believe it's parody, but it's not easy to say these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2022, 02:07:38 PMFrom Twitter.

I kind of want to believe it's parody, but it's not easy to say these days.

It's called complementarianism - that men and women have different roles and responsibilities in life and marriage, but not that one is inherently better than than the other.

It's something I have some sympathy for, but if you start categorizing certain tasks or chores or whatever as being exclusively "male" or "female" I think you get into a lot of trouble.

That being said though... my wife has basically the same size feet as I do.  I can easily wear her shoes if say I can't find mine. :)

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2022, 02:17:09 PM.

That being said though... my wife has basically the same size feet as I do.  I can easily wear her shoes if say I can't find mine. :)

You're living life as God intended it.
Not like those other sinners.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2022, 02:17:09 PMThat being said though... my wife has basically the same size feet as I do.  I can easily wear her shoes if say I can't find mine. :)

DO you guys wear robes in court? You could get away with wearing heels without anyone noticing. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2022, 02:23:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2022, 02:17:09 PMThat being said though... my wife has basically the same size feet as I do.  I can easily wear her shoes if say I can't find mine. :)

DO you guys wear robes in court? You could get away with wearing heels without anyone noticing. :)

Barristers robes yes (only in the Court of Queen's Bench and higher though).  Problem is:

A: robes don't go to the floor so your shoes are still visible; and

B: Mrs B is self-conscious that she's taller than me by 2 inches.  I don't think I've ever seen her wear more than a slight wedge.

:(

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould