News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gaming HQ / Re: Baldur's Gate 3 announced
Last post by Zanza - Today at 12:06:06 PM
Congrats on finishing it.

I guess if I ever play it again, I will play an evil group also trying to corrupt all the companions.
Gaming HQ / Re: News from the lovely world...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 02:25:15 AMThere are lots of examples of sponsors not just being on the sidelines.  Players wear sponsor's names, equipment is branded, fields of play are branded etc.

Yeah... though I think that stuff is already covered by the licensing? I don't know if EA could get away with showing - say - a Manchester City jersey with "United Airlines" or "Languish.org" on it instead of Etihad, and collect a fee from United or Languish for that.

Right, but my point was that advertising is already more intrusive in the real world and so it might be an unreasonable standard to say it should be less intrusive in a gaming world.
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 11:44:09 AM
The Athletic has a piece on whether Winnipeg can keep its team.  The article identifies the issues I thought, wrongly, would mean it would have a quick exit.  But goes on to say that the excitement of fans who can't really afford NHL priced tickets can only get the team so far.

Here is an excerpt

As a market, Winnipeg falls short in almost every key component. The population is too small, the per capita income is too low, and there are a dwindling number of corporations with a head office in Canada's windy city.

"But then you get to the intangibles, like passion," Hodgson said. "And Manitoba is off the chart."

Hodgson knows the psyche of the city's sports fans well. He grew up in Winnipeg and was a devoted follower of the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the other franchise that holds a deeply rooted place in the region's culture and identity.

For many, like Burnett, the NHL's return in 2011 was a miracle, faithfully prayed for.

Nostalgia and pride alone were enough to sell the team to local fans. For more than a decade, True North was viewed as a savior.

The franchise was able to operate in an "if you build it, they will come" mode, Hodgson said.

But after the pandemic, amid a wavering Canadian economy, high inflation, and growing dissatisfaction with rising prices, stringent policies and a perceived lack of appreciation from the organization, many fans decided to stay home. The magic faded. The season-ticket waiting list disappeared. And the franchise entered a new, critical era.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by HVC - Today at 11:17:13 AM
Quote from: Valmy on Today at 10:52:06 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 01:51:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

The American definition of city continues to enrage.
When you've two substantial settlements that have grown to butt into each other fair enough. But when you've a urbanised modern area isolated from all else  then that's the same city.

This is a legal definition and in any case Louisiana has a weird set of laws based on the Code Civil anyway. You shouldn't take anything that happens there as some kind of indicator of how things are done in the rest of the country.

I actually think Josq would take comfort in the fact that he can blame the French :D
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 11:13:27 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 10:57:48 AMThere's always something special about non-Jews calling Jews antisemitic.
Since DGuller is a Jew I don't know why you bring it up.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Maladict - Today at 11:10:19 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on Today at 10:22:09 AMI see Israel is one of the bookie favourites this year.  :lol:

Maybe I'll actually watch it this time, something is bound to happen.
Gaming HQ / Re: News from the lovely world...
Last post by Jacob - Today at 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 02:25:15 AMThere are lots of examples of sponsors not just being on the sidelines.  Players wear sponsor's names, equipment is branded, fields of play are branded etc.

Yeah... though I think that stuff is already covered by the licensing? I don't know if EA could get away with showing - say - a Manchester City jersey with "United Airlines" or "Languish.org" on it instead of Etihad, and collect a fee from United or Languish for that.
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 11:01:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on Today at 08:42:14 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 11:06:18 AMBy the way here's Rex's last column, filed a day before his death.  He certainly was not going gently into the night as he just blasts Trudeau for ignoring October 7th.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-trudeau-faced-an-essential-moral-test-after-oct-7-he-failed-it

What a dreadful, overblown commentary.  The idea that the West somehow "failed" because the victims were Jews completely ignores the world we live in.  Incidents far worse than October 7 have occurred across the world since 1990:  Rwanda, Darfur, and even, right now, in Sudan.  The West is simply selective in how strongly it reacts to such tales (the response to Srebrenica was stronger because closer to home).  Murphy also ignores the fact that Trudeau did on Oct 8 exactly what Murphy called on him to do:  condemn Hamas and its attack as "horrifying and shocking" and mentioning its "brutality."

Also, any time I read a columnist whose evidence is "I hear that..." I dismiss him as a ideologue.

Yeah, he really went downhill but became a darling of the Right in this country.
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by Jacob - Today at 11:00:11 AM
I haven't really read anything by Murphy since he left the CBC. I guess he went downhill?
Off the Record / Re: Quo Vadis GOP?
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 11:00:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2024, 01:17:46 AMYou joke, but there's hardly a year a tourist isn't killed in Austria by a cow after trespassing onto a meadow. :P

Don't the police arrest trespassing cows?