News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The AI dooooooom thread

Started by Hamilcar, April 06, 2023, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Wasn't it an attempt to keep Microsoft from buying them out by the board that backfired .CEO was in favour, and went to Microsoft, but the brain trust didn't foresee everyone following him.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I quickly saw a news site that said the scientist is concerned about applications of AI.

Why are the employees all saying they will resign if the CEO isn't reinstated?

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/18/sam-altman-fired-openai-board-ai-culture-clash
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

He's coming back. Also, somehow an ex treasury secretary is now somehow on the new board.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 22, 2023, 01:23:44 PM*Stares in Theranos*

... who had IIRC no medical experts on the board? :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2023, 01:53:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 22, 2023, 01:23:44 PM*Stares in Theranos*

... who had IIRC no medical experts on the board? :lol:

If I recall, Theranos' board was quite an all-star rogue's gallery.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Also George Shultz, Bill Frist, Sam Nunn, William Perry, Jim Martin etc...
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Again very specific to journalism - but incredible story:
https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

AI journalists writing AI content, which is garbage, but includes topics such as personal finance ("your financial status translates to your value in society") with AI bylines and bios for their "journalists".

As the article ends:
QuoteWe caught CNET and Bankrate, both owned by Red Ventures, publishing barely-disclosed AI content that was filled with factual mistakes and even plagiarism; in the ensuing storm of criticism, CNET issued corrections to more than half its AI-generated articles. G/O Media also published AI-generated material on its portfolio of sites, resulting in embarrassing bungles at Gizmodo and The A.V. Club. We caught BuzzFeed publishing slapdash AI-generated travel guides. And USA Today and other Gannett newspapers were busted publishing hilariously garbled AI-generated sports roundups that one of the company's own sports journalists described as "embarrassing," saying they "shouldn't ever" have been published.

If any media organization finds a way to engage with generative AI in a way that isn't either woefully ill-advised or actively unethical, we're all ears. In the meantime, forgive us if we don't hold our breath.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

AI is what "the Cloud" was ten years ago. A buzzword good for investor capital and getting CEOs to piss away money on it.
PDH!

Grey Fox

With cloud it was easy to see how and where money was going to be made.

Not so much with AI.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Looks like there're great AI applications for Crime-as-a-Service applications. Better scam and phishing applications that can be shared more widely at lower cost and effort looks like it'll probably provide a good RoI.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2023, 10:35:34 PMWith cloud it was easy to see how and where money was going to be made.

Not so much with AI.
If you don't easily see how money can be made with AI, I think the problem is with your imagination, not AI.  I do agree that AI used to be an empty buzzword that bullshit artists used, but since ChatGPT was released, you can make an argument that science caught up to the hype enough to legitimize the term.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2023, 12:21:28 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2023, 10:35:34 PMWith cloud it was easy to see how and where money was going to be made.

Not so much with AI.
If you don't easily see how money can be made with AI, I think the problem is with your imagination, not AI.  I do agree that AI used to be an empty buzzword that bullshit artists used, but since ChatGPT was released, you can make an argument that science caught up to the hype enough to legitimize the term.

Maybe if the hype post-ChatGPT remained on pre-ChatGPT hype levels. But the post-ChatGPT hype levels are on "Asimov novels coming true RIGHT NOW" levels, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Josquius

There are definitely valid opportunities to make money with AI.

But it's also true that it's a popular term used by bullshit artists to try and scrape some cash.

Graphic design, translation... I know people in several fields who are struggling on two fronts: seeking to figure out how to use the technology to support their skills, and swatting away nobodies with basic AI tools trying to steal a living.
██████
██████
██████