News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by viper37 - Today at 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on Today at 11:26:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 10:19:15 AMYou need to have means to get to America frpk house countries, though.

I am not saying the majority of Muslims in Europe want caliphate I am sure they do not. What I am unsure about is how many of them are opposed to the thought enough to work against it, but that part shan't become an issue for many decades.

But I think it's naive to think they or their families have come to Europe because of shared values. I am pretty sure most migrants everywhere are economic ones and they settle in their new countries despite and not because of the cultural differences from their original home.

Koopman's studies point to about 40% to 50% of muslims being fundamentalist.
How many of those live here vs Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey and other shitholes?
Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by viper37 - Today at 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 01:24:34 PMWhere does that leave Sony - seemingly stuck between two stools. The PlayStation is their core platform, but it doesn't look like this gen will match PS4 sales, much less the heights of PS2.  That means hard decisions to be made on the publishing side - do they go exclusive to the console to try to flog more PS5 sales, or dual distribute on Steam for the revenue boost.  Helldivers 2 seemed to the poster child for the second strategy, but it also appears Sony is understandably scared for the long-term implications for their console if that becomes the new model.

For what it's worth, I see more and more people coming from the console space - Playstation players - coming over PC gaming, asking questions about which type of hardware they should get to play their games, dads asking questions about what kind of computer they should get for their sons at any price point, even hardware somewhat lower than PS5 sometimes.

5 years ago, it was still the opposite, young gamers wanting the overpriced console and not wanting anything to do with a PC.

If Linux manages to fix their HDR problems, it can gain even more traction.  With Steam, they are already really good as a gaming platform.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by garbon - Today at 07:17:41 PM
QuoteSo this just happened:
My doorbell rang. I opened the door to find one of the men (half my age) who delivered my furniture last week standing there saying, "I stopped to say hello & tell you how beautiful you are."
Next time I buy furniture I'm requesting it be delivered by bears
Off the Record / Re: Being a boy in 2024
Last post by Valmy - Today at 07:14:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on Today at 09:46:08 AMIf you run into a bear in the woods it won't accuse you have sexual assault.

Nobody would believe the bear anyway -_-

But seriously don't let it bother you. It isn't personal.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by viper37 - Today at 07:11:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2024, 07:53:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2024, 08:44:26 AMNot a requirement but a tradition. 

Conservatives ignoring traditions?  My, my.  What is our world going to. :hmm:
How does that work?

If you get kicked out, you've chosen to not withdraw or amend the offending statement. Is it a "sorry if anyone was offended" style apology? "Sorry for breaching the rules by calling the honourable member a wacko."

"I am sorry I overstepped the bounds of decorum for this chamber and I offer a retraction of my words".

The way it works is they get the inflammatory statement in for the clip, the president ask them to retract, they do, the clip remains for the news.

It's theater but they love it.  I wish it was different, but no one wants to change the rules, even less the Constitution.  It's a very British thing to keep the same things for 1000 years and complain the system is broken, I suppose. :P
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 06:55:18 PMI don't understand how to read that graph.
Swing to or from Tories and Labour based on the Leave % in the Brexit vote.

Basically Tories are losing more in more Leave-y areas and Labour are winning more there (which rather vindicates Starmer's strategy).

Another argument is that Labour's vote has become efficient again. Under Corbyn (and Miliband), Labour basically piled up votes in certain areas - which were very remain-y universities, graduates, public sector workers, cities - but lost them everywhere else. Now Labour are losing a few votes in those areas where they have a massive majority (to the Greens) while winning back a lot more votes in the rest of the country.

It changes the map. The stuff about Labour need 12% lead to get to a majority only really applies if you're working with a Corbyn/Miliband style coalition - if you add back in working class voters in England and Scotland then that's a lot, lot lower. They've broadened their appeal so don't need to go as high (though, at the minute, they're doing both).
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Jacob - Today at 06:55:18 PM
I don't understand how to read that graph.
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2024, 07:53:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2024, 08:44:26 AMNot a requirement but a tradition. 

Conservatives ignoring traditions?  My, my.  What is our world going to. :hmm:
How does that work?

If you get kicked out, you've chosen to not withdraw or amend the offending statement. Is it a "sorry if anyone was offended" style apology? "Sorry for breaching the rules by calling the honourable member a wacko."
Last post by Grey Fox - Today at 06:48:43 PM
No, these are wealthy people that own a 2nd property solely as an investment vehicle.

The least they can do is pay their share after profiteering from renters. Still only at a max of 67%, not 100%. The actual fair share. 

Thanks for the gift link, CC.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 06:37:43 PM
Shardlake - enjoying it.

And RIP CJ Sansom :(