Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Saw an interesting statistic:

In 2004, it took a year to build one GW new solar capacity in the world. In 2010, a month. In 2015, a week. In 2023, less than a day to build one GW of solar capacity (about 390 GW planned for 2023).

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2023, 06:07:36 AMSaw an interesting statistic:

In 2004, it took a year to build one GW new solar capacity in the world. In 2010, a month. In 2015, a week. In 2023, less than a day to build one GW of solar capacity (about 390 GW planned for 2023).

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/23/rapid-ice-melt-in-west-antarctica-now-inevitable-research-shows

Terrible news.

Mitigation is going to cost a lot.  And if you own land in coastal areas, think about moving sooner rather than later.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2023, 04:04:44 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/23/rapid-ice-melt-in-west-antarctica-now-inevitable-research-shows

Terrible news.

Mitigation is going to cost a lot.  And if you own land in coastal areas, think about moving sooner rather than later.

So... uhm... leave Vancouver?

HVC

Time the buy property just off of the coast. Beachfront on the cheap.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2023, 04:29:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2023, 04:04:44 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/23/rapid-ice-melt-in-west-antarctica-now-inevitable-research-shows

Terrible news.

So... uhm... leave Vancouver?

It will be completely transformed.  Think about Richmond and most of the farmland bordering the Fraser River.  As an example the whole of the Matsqui plain will be under water.

According to the article scientists are now reassessing the time lines.  So the question now is when, not if.

Jacob

Yeah I went to one of those interactive maps. Richmond and Delta will be completely gone at a 5 m rise.

Legbiter

Terrible news.

The west Antarctic Ice Sheet discussed in the article last melted abruptly during the Eemian interglacial period (125,000 years ago) so it's likely to melt again as part of the cyclical nature of these things. But there's a big difference whether that takes place over 600 years or 6000. :hmm: Sea levels at the height of the last interglacial were 6-9m higher than today. 

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

crazy canuck

At least for coastal areas.  Now the race is to keep warming below 1.5 to avoid other catastrophic effects.

I'm not sure that will happen. We humans tend not to think beyond the near future.

Josquius

Just when I was coming around to "I really should have moved to Holland"

What time scale are we looking at here?
I wonder if we can react in time-  Muttered before but I do increasingly think solar-shields in space are the way to go in the future as even if we stopped emitting tomorrow things are already off kilter enough.

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on October 24, 2023, 09:04:49 AMJust when I was coming around to "I really should have moved to Holland"

What time scale are we looking at here?
I wonder if we can react in time-  Muttered before but I do increasingly think solar-shields in space are the way to go in the future as even if we stopped emitting tomorrow things are already off kilter enough.

According to the article, the time scale is now being reassessed. Now that the collapse of the ice sheet is a certainty.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict