Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2023, 10:16:39 AMYeah it is amazing. Things have gone so much better than anybody ten years ago could have predicted for wind and solar. That is why I have a hard time not being optimistic. My expectations for how much progress we made has been blown away. Can that keep happening?

But it still isn't anywhere near enough.

The next key is energy storage. That is blowing up here in Texas, I hope it goes that way elsewhere.

It's a pity LK-99 seems to be bogus. That sort of thing could've made superconducting magnetic energy storage a reality.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 15, 2023, 02:46:16 PMIt's a pity LK-99 seems to be bogus. That sort of thing could've made superconducting magnetic energy storage a reality.

Yeah. That was disappointing. Not surprising it turned out to be bogus but yeah that would have been a game changer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I indirectly made my part for climate change.

I convinced my dad's girlfriend to buy a hybrid vehicle for a replacement to her aging Cadillac.

She didn't want to hear anything about it before, and obviously dad was against it.
She didn't want to buy from outside of town, figuring she'd have to constantly go to the garage out of town, and it took me a while, lots of trips to be finally able to buy it (worst sales service ever), but I got her a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid.

Since she does not drive in the city and my dad can't drive anymore, her most extensive trips are 80km away in each direction a few times a year, when she drives herself.  Most of the time, she just goes shopping into town, so she runs mostly on the battery.  Any extensive trip to Quebec city or elsewhere, I'm taking my car to drive them, so I figured the hybrid was perfect. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2023, 11:25:47 AMI'd be suspicious of why they're reliant on door to door salesmen. That always puts me instantly on the defence.
But worth checking out and seeing their competitors too. If at least for the fun of them trying to con you with illegal small print.

To be fair I also purchased my solar panels via door to door sales. But that is pretty common in home improvement work around here. Whenever some company is doing a project in the neighborhood they will see if any of the neighbors want something similar done so long as they are in the area.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Tim worked as an encyclopedia salesman in the Deep South. It was all on the up and up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2023, 09:32:24 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2023, 11:25:47 AMI'd be suspicious of why they're reliant on door to door salesmen. That always puts me instantly on the defence.
But worth checking out and seeing their competitors too. If at least for the fun of them trying to con you with illegal small print.

To be fair I also purchased my solar panels via door to door sales. But that is pretty common in home improvement work around here. Whenever some company is doing a project in the neighborhood they will see if any of the neighbors want something similar done so long as they are in the area.

May not have happened in your situation, but the door to door sales people who start with the line "we are in the neighourhood doing another project" are normally the scammers.

There is no cost savings if a legitimate contractor is merely in the neighbourhood. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2023, 10:27:12 AM

May not have happened in your situation, but the door to door sales people who start with the line "we are in the neighourhood doing another project" are normally the scammers.

There is no cost savings if a legitimate contractor is merely in the neighbourhood. 

Um you sure?

"We are mowing lawns in the area and wanted to know if you wanted your lawn mowed" say a bunch of dirty looking dudes with lawnmowers. I mean what are they doing to do? Mow my lawn while secretly planting fast growing grass?

In any case yes there is no cost savings. They are just selling their shit while they happen to be around. In fact with the solar door to door guy we ended up going with one of his competitors in the end but that got the process started.

Sheilbh

Only door to door I've had are fibre internet.

Also charity fundraisers and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edit: Althoygh, via my upstairs neighbour there's a handyman doing some work on the garden - who also does next door and the cafe down the road. Met him today and I recognise him. But when I asked who he was or how do we get in touch to arrange, she explained he's just "in the community" and we ask when we see him :lol:

Honestly didn't know that sort of thing existed in London - thought it was a countryside thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2023, 10:35:45 AM

Um you sure?

"We are mowing lawns in the area and wanted to know if you wanted your lawn mowed" say a bunch of dirty looking dudes with lawnmowers. I mean what are they doing to do? Mow my lawn while secretly planting fast growing grass?

In any case yes there is no cost savings. They are just selling their shit while they happen to be around. In fact with the solar door to door guy we ended up going with one of his competitors in the end but that got the process started.

Um, yes. 

It is the red flag that the BBB warns everyone about.

Cute that you shifted the goal posts from home improvement to mowing a lawn.  One requires estimation, the buying of the materials needs, often some prefab, etc.  The other I did as an 8 year old pushing my dad's lawnmower around the neighbourhood.  I hope you are able to see the distinction there.

HVC

A Texan who doesn't enjoying mowing his own lawn? King of the Hill has lead me astray :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

I turn back all door to door sales person, I operate on a I'll call you don't call me basis. I'm courteous to most of them except the lying assholes that pretend that they have a mandate from the government to inspect the entire neighborhood. Those I chase a way cursing their descendant for 12 generations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2023, 10:43:28 AMOnly door to door I've had are fibre internet.

Also charity fundraisers and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edit: Althoygh, via my upstairs neighbour there's a handyman doing some work on the garden - who also does next door and the cafe down the road. Met him today and I recognise him. But when I asked who he was or how do we get in touch to arrange, she explained he's just "in the community" and we ask when we see him :lol:

Honestly didn't know that sort of thing existed in London - thought it was a countryside thing.

Is your neighbour keeping a hobo hostage for cheap labour? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2023, 10:46:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2023, 10:35:45 AM

Um you sure?

Um, yes. 

It is the red flag that the BBB warns everyone about.

Cute that you shifted the goal posts from home improvement to mowing a lawn.  One requires estimation, the buying of the materials needs, often some prefab, etc.  The other I did as an 8 year old pushing my dad's lawnmower around the neighbourhood.  I hope you are able to see the distinction there.

Ummm you are aware that there are grown up lawn care companies. They come with big boy estimates and invoices too.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 16, 2023, 10:47:26 AMI turn back all door to door sales person, I operate on a I'll call you don't call me basis. I'm courteous to most of them except the lying assholes that pretend that they have a mandate from the government to inspect the entire neighborhood. Those I chase a way cursing their descendant for 12 generations.

The big fraud ones in this are are driveway repaving. See news report warnings every few years.