News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:22:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 11:09:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 10:54:52 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 10, 2024, 10:46:57 AMThe Russians are attacking Kharkiv again. From the north, as has been hinted at for the past few weeks

As I said a page or two back and was shouted down.
Hopefully Ukraine was prepared enough for it. Opening new fronts does seem to be to Russia's advantage.
I guess/hope Russia are just doing this to try and grab all they can before Ukraine is fully rearmed rather than genuinely seeing serious opportunity for a breakthrough.

I'm not a military guy, but I'm not so sure.  Ukraine is the one defending, it's supply lines are short.  It's relatively easy for Ukraine to pull units from the south to the north.  Russia is attacking.  It's supply lines are long.  It's much further for them to move a unit from the south to the north.

Where do you think the Russians are drawing their supply?
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:17:59 AM
People suck just fine without straws
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Josquius - Today at 01:51:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

The American definition of city continues to enrage.
When you've two substantial settlements that have grown to butt into each other fair enough. But when you've a urbanised modern area isolated from all else  then that's the same city.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 01:48:39 AM
I've not seen it myself but I've heard there's videos floating about of a recent Ukrainian counter attack in the East using Bradleys in desert camoflague colours - which is a big hint that the US aid is reaching the front.
Though weird the US wouldn't have painted them while they waited in Europe.
Last post by Jacob - Today at 01:37:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 01:13:25 AMStraws don't suck, people suck.

... and that's why they need straws.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 01:25:53 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2024, 12:15:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 10:02:21 AMThe thing is - if this happened the Lib Dems would eventually be pretty much exactly like the Tories.

I can point to an example of this: British Columbia.  There wasa long-time "Conservative" Party that ruled the province for a number of years called the SoCreds.  SoCreds collapsed in scandal, leading to a left-wing NDP government.  With a giant void on the right side of the spectrum the provincial Liberals stepped in - but this pretty quickly made the Liberals the "Conservative" party in BC.

My understanding is that ex-SoCred folks directly took over the BC Liberal party. It's not that the BC Libs "stepped in", it's that the SoCreds continued as they were, wearing the skin of the BC Liberal party which they took over after the collapse of the SoCreds.

That's not the only place BB goes wrong. The BC social credit party included federal liberals. The coalition just moved to a new brand after the Social Credit brand became tainted.

And now the coalition party is moving to another new brand after another tainting.  Although this move has not been very smooth.  And the Conservative part of the coalition seems to be bolting for a Conservative Party.   BC might to undergoing its own Reform moment and the NDP could not be happier.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 01:21:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 03:28:36 AMI recall back in the noughties when I'd dream of a golden age where the Tories are dead and buried and the Lib Dems take their place as the other main party.
If only the Lib Dems had their shit in order then we could actually be heading there.

But yes. The Tories have a floor that is even harder to break than the Labour one.

The thing is - if this happened the Lib Dems would eventually be pretty much exactly like the Tories.

I can point to an example of this: British Columbia.  There wasa long-time "Conservative" Party that ruled the province for a number of years called the SoCreds.  SoCreds collapsed in scandal, leading to a left-wing NDP government.  With a giant void on the right side of the spectrum the provincial Liberals stepped in - but this pretty quickly made the Liberals the "Conservative" party in BC.

For readers who won't be able to spot the error, the BC Social Credit party was not a Conservative Party.  It was a coalition party of supporters of both the Federal Conservative and Liberal parties.  That coalition of supporters then went to the BC Liberal party which had no affiliation with the Federal liberals.  It went on to hold power for more than a decade.

That party continues to this day as the coalition party opposing the NDP.  Although it has undergone a name change.

TLDR, coalition parties do work, but beware the ideological purists.

Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 01:13:25 AM
Straws don't suck, people suck.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Valmy - May 10, 2024, 10:19:33 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

Seceding to preserve white supremacy? Talk about honoring your heritage.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Valmy - May 10, 2024, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 02:32:55 PMMy first introduction to Jews as a thing that actually exists in the modern west and anti - semitism was South Park.
That I'm aware of I can't remember ever meeting a Jewish person before then. They just existed as some vague thing in the history books from Ww2.
I really don't think my experience in this is too unusual.
And I grew up not too far from one of the biggest heredi communities around.

I honestly had no idea hating Jews was still a thing until the Internet. And then I realized it was fucking everywhere. But that was kind of sexism and racism in general.

Me in the 1990s: Is racism and sexism really that big a deal anymore?

Me in the 2000s: Holy shit everybody is such a racist and sexist. What are we doing?