News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Is paying with cash important?

I recently renewed my passport. Only thing I had to remember was bringing my old (still valid) passport.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 05:12:43 AMIs paying with cash important?

I recently renewed my passport. Only thing I had to remember was bringing my old (still valid) passport.

Well, you can pay cash or credit card. My bank card should technically work as credit card but didn't want to chance it. :P

If I was living in Germany I'd only need the old documents and a new picture, too. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Germany is the country which insisted on 500 euro notes being a thing.
Because reasons.
Though I recently read they were being phased out and figured Germany had modernised?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Dunno, haven't been in The Old Country in over 15 years. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2023, 05:27:24 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2023, 05:12:43 AMIs paying with cash important?

Well, you can pay cash or credit card. My bank card should technically work as credit card but didn't want to chance it. :P

If I was living in Germany I'd only need the old documents and a new picture, too. :)

Last time I renewed my Cartão the Cidadão (ID) free at the consulate or in Portugal) or passport it was credit card but cash is also accepted I think.
No need for photos, photo at the consulate and it is digitised.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on September 19, 2023, 06:01:33 AMGermany is the country which insisted on 500 euro notes being a thing.
Because reasons.
Though I recently read they were being phased out and figured Germany had modernised?

I always forget to get some cash when I go to Germany. It is improving, but most people still insist on using it and plenty of places will only take cash.
The supermarket queues are particularly horrendous.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 19, 2023, 10:13:09 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 19, 2023, 06:01:33 AMGermany is the country which insisted on 500 euro notes being a thing.
Because reasons.

I always forget to get some cash when I go to Germany. It is improving, but most people still insist on using it and plenty of places will only take cash.
The supermarket queues are particularly horrendous.

So German inefficiency vs Brit paying for stuff on the never, never.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Came across some pigs pannaging in the forest today; Autumn has definitively arrived.  :bowler:

Barrister

I have a rec league hockey game tonight.  I have a game every week, so not much of an adventure really.

But what's different is tonight game is at West Edmonton Mall.  Reportedly the biggest mall in North America.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Wiki suggests the other mall they own, Mall of America, is the largest though fewer shops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2023, 03:02:47 PMWiki suggests the other mall they own, Mall of America, is the largest though fewer shops.

When I googled "biggest mall in north america" I get half the hits saying WEM, the other half saying MOA.

I don't even like WEM and I avoid shopping there so I don't care who gets the title.  It's just a weird experience to play rec hockey in a mall.  Reportedly it has really crappy ice since the air temperature is so warm (due to it being a mall).

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 03:07:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2023, 03:02:47 PMWiki suggests the other mall they own, Mall of America, is the largest though fewer shops.

When I googled "biggest mall in north america" I get half the hits saying WEM, the other half saying MOA.

I don't even like WEM and I avoid shopping there so I don't care who gets the title.  It's just a weird experience to play rec hockey in a mall.  Reportedly it has really crappy ice since the air temperature is so warm (due to it being a mall).

Fair
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2023, 03:23:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 03:07:00 PM

Fair

On the plus side, after the game there's probably a decent chance our team goes out to grab drinks at one of the many restaurants/bars attached to the mall.  As long as they don't mind us bringing our stinky hockey gear with us.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 03:30:51 PMOn the plus side, after the game there's probably a decent chance our team goes out to grab drinks at one of the many restaurants/bars attached to the mall.  As long as they don't mind us bringing our stinky hockey gear with us.

Mall bars. :bleeding:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2023, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 03:30:51 PMOn the plus side, after the game there's probably a decent chance our team goes out to grab drinks at one of the many restaurants/bars attached to the mall.  As long as they don't mind us bringing our stinky hockey gear with us.

Mall bars. :bleeding:

I've never seen one, but can guess you're correct in all matters relating to bar quality; they sound terrible.