News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by Syt - Today at 07:32:09 AM
From what I understand the game was always going to require a Playstation Network account (advertised on store front as well), but at launch the servers were dying, so they suspended it.

And now Sony want to enforce it. And do it in the most hamfisted way possible. :D The funniest bit is that they sold the game in countries that don't have PSN and now removed it from sale in those territories (apparently people who bought it will get refunds).

It's as if Sony saw the Escape from Tarkov devs shooting themselves in the foot and said, "Hold my Sake!"

For a summary: Escape from Tarkov had been running on the promise of never being pay to win, and that people who bought the $150 edition (which was, after years, many active players) would get all future DLC free. Then they announced a new $250 edition that would include PvE ... but it would not be part of the $150 pledge, because "it's a new game mode, not DLC." (Also, the edition includes items that will give owners a tangible advantage over players not owning them.) Which went about as well, as you'd think. There was some back and forth and semantics and the devs backtracked, promising that the $150 purchasers would also get access to the PvE mode at some point, but pointed out that they don't have server capacity for all those customers at the moment. :lol:
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 07:08:00 AM
What if it's a Transbear?  A man that transitioned into a bear.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Threviel - Today at 06:53:37 AM
OvB has a point if he can show that all muslims living in the west adhere to the most talibanish of islams. In that case demographics will make the west a caliphate in a few decades and destroy our way of life. It would be worth almost anything to not have my children live in that world.

But that is a very huge if. I for one believe that most people moving here are not trying to make the west a caliphate and in general share our common values.

Would be interesting to see some data on it.

Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 06:51:45 AM
Is Helldivers 2 dead? The developers are essentially asking people to review bomb their own game on Steam.  :lol:

Sony seems to have killed its golden goose.
Last post by Threviel - Today at 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 01:44:25 AMWhat type of bear is it? Polar bear and you'd be dead before you can register that you stumbled across one.

They do tend to start eating before killing, it might take some 20 mins or so before you die if a bear attacks. I can't really imagine many worse deaths.
Last post by Richard Hakluyt - Today at 06:26:24 AM
If its just one encounter then the bear is probably more dangerous. But we have dozens or hundreds of encounters each day with other humans. Which is why I fear them  :ph34r:
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 06:19:57 AM
A real living breathing Georgist? :lol:
That's amazing.
Taking some of their ideas on board for tax reform seems fair enough. Basing taxes heavily on land rather than what's on it- seems a good way we can encourage density, give tax breaks for gardens, etc...
But the idea that can be the only tax and based purely on land value is just hilariously insane.
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 05:20:55 AM
I forgive you.
Last post by garbon - Today at 05:12:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 05:06:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 03:16:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:41:22 AM... I guess? Perhaps more worried about the slippery slope of the defence is more accurate? It's a tik tok, so I don't care. Someone is trying to get views, good for them. I guess they get money for it?

That being said just because I don't really care I don't think someone who has a view that the trend is insidious, like say Josq, isn't  wholly without merit.

Ostensibly the point of the 'meme' is to highlight to men the danger that they pose. It isn't to educate women as they already know men are a danger. Trying to spread that recognition isn't trying to 'turn genders against each other' but rather maybe naively hoping that if men are aware, they'll do better.

That's a bit different than saying if someone did so with races. For one, presumably one would be attempting to perpetuate stereotypes about racial minorities. That's leave aside nuances of numbers and proportionality as I'm sure there are cuts that could show what we all know...white people are dangerous. ;)

I'm confused.  Do black men *not* pose a danger that they should be aware of in hopes they change, or they do but the greater good is to not perpetuate a stereotype?

I'm sorry.
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 05:06:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 03:16:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:41:22 AM... I guess? Perhaps more worried about the slippery slope of the defence is more accurate? It's a tik tok, so I don't care. Someone is trying to get views, good for them. I guess they get money for it?

That being said just because I don't really care I don't think someone who has a view that the trend is insidious, like say Josq, isn't  wholly without merit.

Ostensibly the point of the 'meme' is to highlight to men the danger that they pose. It isn't to educate women as they already know men are a danger. Trying to spread that recognition isn't trying to 'turn genders against each other' but rather maybe naively hoping that if men are aware, they'll do better.

That's a bit different than saying if someone did so with races. For one, presumably one would be attempting to perpetuate stereotypes about racial minorities. That's leave aside nuances of numbers and proportionality as I'm sure there are cuts that could show what we all know...white people are dangerous. ;)

I'm confused.  Do black men *not* pose a danger that they should be aware of in hopes they change, or they do but the greater good is to not perpetuate a stereotype?