News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2024, 01:07:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2024, 12:53:52 PMHow are illegal immigrants going to be able to vote?

You don't have to show proof of citizenship when your register or when you vote.

That's not been true in any of the places I have registered to vote.  Everywhere I've registered has required a proof of US citizenship.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

The only place the illegals boosting the dem vote bit makes the slightest sense is the bulking up the census numbers thus power of certain states explanation.

But this is so abstract and long term that the nuts rarely bother with this one and instead stick to scatter gun easily disprovable lies.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2024, 05:52:11 AMThe only place the illegals boosting the dem vote bit makes the slightest sense is the bulking up the census numbers thus power of certain states explanation.

But this is so abstract and long term that the nuts rarely bother with this one and instead stick to scatter gun easily disprovable lies.

Isn't the key about being an illegal is that you are not showing up in any numbers anywhere? Does the US really have illegal immigrants answering census questions?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2024, 08:25:13 AMIsn't the key about being an illegal is that you are not showing up in any numbers anywhere? Does the US really have illegal immigrants answering census questions?

The Census uses estimated numbers (very controversial on the right) in an attempt to be approximately right rather than precisely wrong.  But the immigrants issue is not so much illegals (despite what the Republican fearmongers claim) but "asylum seekers" who don't and won't qualify for asylum.  US and international law requires that those claiming to seek asylum get a hearing to determine the legitimacy of their claims.  The US immigration system does not have the resources to process those claims swiftly, nor the facilities to detain the asylum claimants while they await adjudication, so the law requires that they be given an immigration court asylum adjudication court date and then be released on their own recognizance.  Something like 86% of them never show up for their hearing, and simply remain illegally (which was almost always the objective to begin with). 

So those are illegal aliens, but there are numbers for them.  My understanding is that the numbers for those are used to estimate the numbers of illegal aliens that do not even attempt to go through the asylum system, but simply sneak into the country.  The accuracy of these estimates is highly controversial, since they are used to determine the annual distribution of federal welfare money and, every ten years after the formal census, the apportionment of congressional districts. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2024, 08:25:13 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2024, 05:52:11 AMThe only place the illegals boosting the dem vote bit makes the slightest sense is the bulking up the census numbers thus power of certain states explanation.

Isn't the key about being an illegal is that you are not showing up in any numbers anywhere? Does the US really have illegal immigrants answering census questions?

I've heard illegal folk are under represented in the census as though catching them isn't the job of the census people the immigrants  obviously don't trust they won't speak to those whose job it is.
But under represented doesn't mean zero representation. And do know in many censuses where data is obviously wrong they'll estimate.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

As I understand it there was a minor (or maybe not so minor) controversy when Trump as President was trying to get citizenship added as a question to the US census.  Ultimately he failed, and thus when you take the US census you are not asked if you are a citizen.

As such, Jos has it right - non-citizens are included in the census, which means that non-citizens are counted when it comes to districting.  A state like Texas might thus get more seats in congress by counting illegals than if you only counted citizens.  But that certainly doesn't mean that illegal immigrants are eligible to vote.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2024, 09:19:23 AM

I've heard illegal folk are under represented in the census as though catching them isn't the job of the census people the immigrants  obviously don't trust they won't speak to those who do.
But under represented doesn't mean zero representation. And do know in many censuses where data is obviously wrong they'll estimate.

Over here it's similar. One of the purposes of registration (we don't do a door-to-door census, all the data is extracted from municipal registration) is knowing how many people live in X municipality, in order to better plan services, funding, and such. If they required residency cards and such, thus excluding illegal immigrants, it wouldn't serve that purpose.

Also, illegal immigrants do register quite often since it's required to access services and aid.

There are far right parties that have threatened of policing the registry and report illegal immigrants, but that would be illegal.

HVC

Super champion of free speech, musk, has terminated a contract with Don Lemon on X for asking him mean questions.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2024, 12:53:52 PMHow are illegal immigrants going to be able to vote?

You don't have to show proof of citizenship when your register or when you vote.
Places like Florida disallow ex-cons from voting.

But they can't check whether or not you are a citizen of the country?  Whether or not you are who you really say you are?  I could spend some time in Florida or Arizona, register on the electoral list as Donald Pence and no one would bother to check if I'm a legal resident of the US and I'm really Donald Pence from the address I give?

This sounds suspicious.

They would know I am a convicted felon, but they would not know I am not a US citizen?  How does that work if there's no ID, no proof of citizenship?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2024, 10:00:20 PM

Places like Florida disallow ex-cons from voting.

But they can't check whether or not you are a citizen of the country?  Whether or not you are who you really say you are?  I could spend some time in Florida or Arizona, register on the electoral list as Donald Pence and no one would bother to check if I'm a legal resident of the US and I'm really Donald Pence from the address I give?

This sounds suspicious.

They would know I am a convicted felon, but they would not know I am not a US citizen?  How does that work if there's no ID, no proof of citizenship?

Yi might be confusing municipal, possibly state, election voter requirements.  States have to require proof of citizenship to register to vote in federal elections, though not to actually vote.

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Musk hasn't reached Mars yet, but already, he's planning to reach other solar systems.

There are visionaries.  There are dreamers.  And then, there are bullshitters.

Elon Musk Says Future SpaceX Starship 'Will Travel To Other Star Systems' After Rocket's Latest Test
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Is his intent to taint the word starship so if we do one day end up making the enterprise he gets the credit?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2024, 04:14:42 PMMusk hasn't reached Mars yet, but already, he's planning to reach other solar systems.

Elon Musk Says Future SpaceX Starship 'Will Travel To Other Star Systems' After Rocket's Latest Test

To be fair, he's just arguing that a "future version of starship" will be capable of interstellar travel, not the spaceship they are currently building.  Some future spaceship version will almost certainly do so.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2024, 05:34:52 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2024, 04:14:42 PMMusk hasn't reached Mars yet, but already, he's planning to reach other solar systems.

To be fair, he's just arguing that a "future version of starship" will be capable of interstellar travel, not the spaceship they are currently building.  Some future spaceship version will almost certainly do so.

The closest star is 4.3 light years away.  So at least he got one thing right.   The starship that reaches the next solar system will need to be "a lot more advanced".