News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

But none of Lucid, Porsche, Kia, or Ford - nor any of their competitors, Chinese or otherwise - have stories coming out every month or two about their customers getting killed while using their car's AI features. Only Tesla has that.

Surely that'll push their stocks up in the long run - blood sacrifice is bound to sharpen Tesla's competitive edge.

In fact, Musk got approval to test one of his companies brain implant technologies on humans. Surely we're not far away from 40K style human brains (sourced from the desperate) providing AI for vehicles. None of Musk's competitors will be able to deliver synergies like that.

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2024, 04:38:09 PMI've been seeing them all over the road in the fancier NY suburbs, they sure look relevant
Interesting. I am not following Lucid closely, so maybe my impression is wrong.

Last year they built 8500 cars and sold 6000, at a huge loss. Also no growth compared to 2022. They laid off 20% of their workforce in 2023. Does not sound like a growth story challenging Tesla.

The latest competitors in the luxury/premium EV segment are BYD (e.g. with the U7) and Li Auto. Both profitable and quickly growing. Also the Xiaomi SU7.

HVC

Quote from: HVC on February 11, 2024, 04:08:28 AMMusk moves Neuralinks incorporation from Delaware to Nevada to protect his future malfeasance :D

SpaceX is now moved too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Oh man, I bet Delaware is really upset. That'll learn 'em.

Sheilbh

Yeah - although in my very limited experience almost all US companies I came across were either Nevada or Delaware incorporated (mainly Delaware). My understanding is they're both very good if you want to avoid tax or benefit from corporate secrecy.

I doubt it matters much, but could be wrong (and both of them like all other tax avoidance and corporate secrecy hubs should be punished <_<).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Nevada makes a bit more sense than Texas because the fiduciary standards are definitely more deferential to management.  But corporate disputes go to courts with elected judges and juries.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2024, 01:48:27 PMNevada makes a bit more sense than Texas because the fiduciary standards are definitely more deferential to management.  But corporate disputes go to courts with elected judges and juries.

Makes sense, he is counting on elected judges not wanting to upset their voting public by enforcing the law against him.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2024, 01:48:27 PMNevada makes a bit more sense than Texas because the fiduciary standards are definitely more deferential to management.  But corporate disputes go to courts with elected judges and juries.
Makes sense, he is counting on elected judges not wanting to upset their voting public by enforcing the law against him.

That's a dangerous idea for a few reasons but I'll post later to elaborate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

If the voting population of Nevada turns against Musk for whatever reason, then having to rely on elected judges might not be a good idea. I can imagine a few scenarios where it'd be popular to kick Musk to the curb.

Alternately, if an elected judge has a reason to want to make a big name for himself (do elected judges move on to other elected roles?) then torpedoing Musk would certainly be a way to become a household name.

Sheilbh

Okay - so I know nothing about cars and all I really know about Tesla is from this thread. But saw this today and was a bit surprised given what I'd read here:

So how does it tie together?

From Bloomberg report that European car manufacturers considering some form of tie-up/cooperation ("an Airbus of autos") to face US (Tesla) and Chinese (BYD) competition.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

That doesn't seem shocking, Tesla and BYD only manufacture EVs? Most of the incumbent auto manufacturers long treated EVs as a small sideline, with a few going much fuller into it only recently (VW for example is betting very heavily on them.)

Zanza

I work in the industry,so I am not surprised. What was your expectation based on this thread? Tesla doing worse?

Josquius

I guess there's an issue with most of them being stuck in the middle?

You want electric but you're not rich... You get cheap and chinese.

You're rich and want electric? Tesla is the one that somehow keeps it's prestige with those who don't pay attention.

In the middle are most of the other brands.
Expensive for what they are and will it really hit your prestige to have a byd rather than a Citroën?

If you want a flash one like BMW then you get a petrol BMW, that's the proper one that appeals to BMW buyers.

Or something like so.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on February 20, 2024, 04:41:41 PMI work in the industry,so I am not surprised. What was your expectation based on this thread? Tesla doing worse?
Yeah.

QuoteExpensive for what they are and will it really hit your prestige to have a byd rather than a Citroën?
Not until they bring back the DS :contract: :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Raw unit numbers also don't really foretell financial health, right?

Tesla is not doing terrible, but there is a reason their stock price is down (and it isn't just Musk being toxic.)

They have missed earnings estimates the last 2 quarters, they have a worse EPS ($4.99) than industry average ($7.99), their P/E is significantly higher than industry average (46 vs 13), their EPS growth TTM lags the auto industry (18% vs 36%), they have had well-advertised price-cuts to keep sales volume consistent, showing weakness in demand.