News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 10:44:08 AMHow does reincorporating work?

I'm not sure on the mechanics, that's what the transactional lawyers do. You could create a new company in Texas and merge Tesla into that company.  There could be other ways. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

So in theory shareholder value is unaffected, assuming the markets are neutral on the whole process?

crazy canuck

Texas?  Back when I first started my legal career, I was involved in a series of cases in which corporate entities tried desperately to avoid having their matters determined in Texas courts for a number of the reasons JR has explained, but primarily it was to avoid a Texas jury deciding very complex issues of corporate liability.

Those cases are still the textbook cases taught in Canadian law schools regarding conflicts of laws.

Musk obviously is much smarter than everyone else, and he sees something the rest of us have just simply missed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 10:52:32 AMSo in theory shareholder value is unaffected, assuming the markets are neutral on the whole process?

It really depends how it's done. And given that musk is in the mix, I would not assume that there would be classes of shareholders who would not be impacted negatively, and who would have a very good claim in a Texas court with a jury, who would be quite willing to provide them with a rich judgment.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 10:52:32 AMSo in theory shareholder value is unaffected, assuming the markets are neutral on the whole process?

It shouldn't.  I wouldn't ordinarily favor Texas incorporation over Delaware; Texas would be pretty far down on the list of places to incorporate.  That said the likely net impact on a company like Tesla should be marginal.  The broader concern is what this says about management stability and coherence at the company.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

I think it's not so much that it's guaranteed that shareholder value is unaffected - rather  that in order to do so you have to get shareholder consent (and quite possibly from all classes of shareholders).

I've commented before that if all parties agree you can do virtually anything, legally speaking.  Its only when disputes arise (which they do, frequently) that things get complicated.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2024, 11:47:29 AM

I think it's not so much that it's guaranteed that shareholder value is unaffected - rather  that in order to do so you have to get shareholder consent (and quite possibly from all classes of shareholders).

I've commented before that if all parties agree you can do virtually anything, legally speaking.  Its only when disputes arise (which they do, frequently) that things get complicated.

Shareholder consent does not mean 100% of shareholders agreed to the proposition.  That is why there is such a thing as shareholder oppression lawsuits.  Which, is sort of the core of his present problem.

HVC

We'll never get to mars if musk keeps focuses on these petty matters.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 01, 2024, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2024, 11:47:29 AM

Shareholder consent does not mean 100% of shareholders agreed to the proposition.  That is why there is such a thing as shareholder oppression lawsuits.  Which, is sort of the core of his present problem.

Of course.

Depending on any Shareholder agreement you may need more than 50%, or you may need to get the majority of all classes or shares, or you might need "the majority of the minority" (if for example the majority shareholder is offering to buy out the minority).  It all gets complicated and out of my depth to go over in detail.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2024, 01:56:22 PMWe'll never get to mars if musk keeps focuses on these petty matters.

COunter-argument - the more time he gets distracted by stuff like this, the less time he has to mess up SpaceX...

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2024, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2024, 01:56:22 PMWe'll never get to mars if musk keeps focuses on these petty matters.

COunter-argument - the more time he gets distracted by stuff like this, the less time he has to mess up SpaceX...

I was mostly being sarcastic, but good point.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

I think your sarcasm detector needs a little maintenance   :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2024, 02:06:06 PM

I was mostly being sarcastic, but good point.

I should kept reading  :Embarrass:

FunkMonk

If only we had 50 Musks, one for every state.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC