News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2024, 07:31:25 AMSlightly pisses me off when they call the Spanish President "PM" in Anglo media, I gotta say. It's not the language, it's just that they have to UK-ify the name of his office.
I honestly had no idea Spain had a president. I always thought it was a pretty logical rule of king=president,
pm=top guy if you've got a king, otherwise officially second in command but maybe the actual ruler depending on country.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on January 25, 2024, 06:13:04 AMIreland is a special case because of British guilt. e.g. we often reference their PM as Taoiseach but we never bother with any other PMs in the world. Nobody calls Orban Miniszterelnok, or Tusk Premier, for example.
The German PM is mostly referenced as Chancellor in English media though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2024, 09:11:25 AMI honestly had no idea Spain had a president. I always thought it was a pretty logical rule of king=president,
pm=top guy if you've got a king, otherwise officially second in command but maybe the actual ruler depending on country.
:lol: This is the republic/monarchy thing all over again. I was bamboozled when I first read a Spanish paper and saw them talking about the "presidente del gobierno".

QuoteThe German PM is mostly referenced as Chancellor in English media though.
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen an article talking about a German Prime Minister, always Chancellor.

It is worth noting that Taoiseach is the official title in Irish and English which may also be part of it (as with the Turkiye and Mumbai characteristics). With others they may just be translating the title from, say, Hungarian or Polish, while in English the head of the Irish government is the Taoiseach so it is wrong to say Prime Minister.

Even if you were to translate Taoiseach it doesn't mean Prime Minister. It means "chieftan" or "leader" - it comes from the 1937 consitution after all, so is rather of its time and also, as I say, reflecting the cultural aspect of Irish nationalism. Much like how Ireland's two main parties are the Soldiers of Destiny (which emerged from the We Ourselves party) and the Tribe of the Gaels. It's part of the Celtic revival and the importance of language in Irish nationalism - especially at that point in time.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2024, 09:11:25 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2024, 07:31:25 AMSlightly pisses me off when they call the Spanish President "PM" in Anglo media, I gotta say. It's not the language, it's just that they have to UK-ify the name of his office.
I honestly had no idea Spain had a president. I always thought it was a pretty logical rule of king=president,

Our guy presides over the govermnent - hence the name, been like that since the XIXth century. Franco was both chief of state and president of the government, as separate offices he personally held.

During the Spanish Republic we had 2 presidents: the president of the council (head of government), and the president of the Republic (chief of state). Confused me as hell when I was in school.

But in all modern Spanish history Spanish heads of government have always been presidents.

Sheilbh

Having two Presidents at once reminds me of the EU reform proposals in the Five Presidents' Report which just seems like too many Presidents. At that rate it sounds like an investment bank :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2024, 09:43:13 AMHaving two Presidents at once reminds me of the EU reform proposals in the Five Presidents' Report which just seems like too many Presidents. At that rate it sounds like an investment bank :lol:

You'll love to know that the speaker is also "president of the parliament"  :P

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2024, 09:35:17 AMEven if you were to translate Taoiseach it doesn't mean Prime Minister. It means "chieftan" or "leader"
The German equivalent of leader for the HoG went out of fashion.  :ph34r:

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2024, 09:43:13 AMHaving two Presidents at once reminds me of the EU reform proposals in the Five Presidents' Report which just seems like too many Presidents. At that rate it sounds like an investment bank :lol:

I do reckon the EU using sensible naming and different terms for the 3 heads would have been enough to sway the brekshit vote.
But then again a gust of wind would have done the same.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I bet the liability contract with that first test subject is a doozy.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Also, in other news, Elon told his Texas employees that they wouldmbe required ro make sacridices.  Like sleeping at the factory, so that their new model be delivered on time.

Thankfully. Texas is one of these paradise righ to work States, right?  So I don't see any pesky unions interfering with such bold plans toward the future of the American workforce where the entire family units, from the youngest children to the spouse will soon work at the same place and lodge in barracks hastily built by the employers.

For efficiency measures, workers could be chained to one another so they don' t get lost in factory.  the sound of a cracking whip could also help them guid themselves toward the right spot and achieve maximim efficiency.

Nothing better than a good whippin' in the morning to shake you up for the day.  a whip a day keeps coffee away!)ยก
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Texas minimum employment standards?

A quick check turns out abysmal protection for employees, which I suppose is on brand.

One interesting nugget is there is no statutory requirement to provide any breaks.  Not even time to eat lunch.  Employers let their employees go hungry at their discretion.

And the minimum wage laws are a joke. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2024, 07:17:32 AMTexas minimum employment standards?

A quick check turns out abysmal protection for employees, which I suppose is on brand.

Typical anti-Texas BS propaganda.

Texas employees have lots of rights and protections.  The right to open carry firearms in the workplace. The right to conceal carry firearms in the workplace. The right to discharge firearms in the workplace if reasonably needed for personal defense or defense of others.  Or if someone is suspected of being a Mexican invader.  You commie Canadians only wish you could have the rights Texans have.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson