News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 05:15:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2024, 05:00:02 PMAI trains would be great. No more strikes :P
Again incredible technological advancements have been made that in many ways mean AI wouldn't really be necessary for trains: tracks :P
I honestly do not understand why they don't replace the human with a machine there. Probably regulatory reasons.

Barrister

You know I occasionally click on right-wing click-baity tweets on Twitter just to see what is being said, but now Twitter just feeds me more and more of those kinds of tweets.  Ugh.

Take this one for example:

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1742996668944118243

QuoteJUST IN: Elon Musk obliterates Mark Cuban, asks him when he is going to hire a 'short white/Asian woman' on the Dallas Mavericks after Cuban challenged him about DEI.

🔥🔥🔥

Cuban: "The loss of DEI-Phobic companies is my gain... Having a workforce that is diverse and representative of your stakeholders is good for business... blah blah blah."

Musk: "Cool, so when should we expect to see a short white/Asian women on the Mavs?"

Mic. Drop.

I read the entire thread - Cuban gave a very good explanation of diversity and inclusion, and to take Musk's childish one line reply as some kind of devastating comeback?  :x
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 05:20:33 PMNo, that's true. Fair pay, benefits and conditions alleviate strikes :goodboy:

Never enough!

Mostly I just get really annoyed when public service strike. Still have a hate on for the garbage collectors strike. That ended up biting them on the ass though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2024, 05:24:57 PMI honestly do not understand why they don't replace the human with a machine there. Probably regulatory reasons.

And safety concerns; we have to have fully redundant fail safe systems for everything.  If the AI failed we would need a human to drive the train.

(Although in Canada's case let's first get to track signaling before we go AI.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 04, 2024, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2024, 05:24:57 PMI honestly do not understand why they don't replace the human with a machine there. Probably regulatory reasons.

And safety concerns; we have to have fully redundant fail safe systems for everything.  If the AI failed we would need a human to drive the train.

(Although in Canada's case let's first get to track signaling before we go AI.)

Do you have two human drivers now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2024, 05:45:42 PMDo you have two human drivers now?

On all the projects I've worked on, yes, there's a full crew with multiple people capable of driving a train.  I've heard of other options like having a regular check in, or a dead man switch, so that if the conductor is incapacitated the train stops; but I've never worked with those myself.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 04, 2024, 06:04:19 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2024, 05:45:42 PMDo you have two human drivers now?

On all the projects I've worked on, yes, there's a full crew with multiple people capable of driving a train.  I've heard of other options like having a regular check in, or a dead man switch, so that if the conductor is incapacitated the train stops; but I've never worked with those myself.

AFAIK in Sweden there's only one driver.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2024, 06:14:00 PM

Damn, that driver must be pretty busy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 04, 2024, 06:18:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2024, 06:14:00 PM

Damn, that driver must be pretty busy.

Not busy enough apparently, considering the delays.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2024, 05:23:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 04:49:11 PMYou guys are gonna go wild when you hear about trains :w00t:

You're going to go mad when I tell you about VIA Rail... :ultra:

That same route I just told you about: Edmonton to Winnipeg - travels twice per week.  The next train departs on Saturday at 7:50 pm, arriving Sunday at 10pm.  Cost is $311 for economy, $444 for a berth (coverts to a curtained sleeping area with two stacked beds).

That's compared to $562 for a flight on Westjet the same day (could probably be cheaper if flexible on the day) and would only take 6 hours (those are all with a connection in Calgary, there are direct flights as well).

6 hours versus 25 hours (driving would only take you about 13)... :hmm:

I am sure another big reason people choose to drive is that want their car for local travel at their destination (and depending on the circumstances of their travel, a rental car might not be practical or affordable).  It would be cool to expand car-carrying train travel possibilities (Amtrak does this on one line on the east coast, from DC to Florida)...but that option would still be both slower, and probably even more expensive.*

*Just checked....two-week round trip would be about $900 (17-hour train trip...google estimates 12 hours by car)

Flight from DC to Orlando for the same time?  $250-ish (I won't even consider Spirit Airlines' $85 quote)

Jacob

So apparently Space X is suing the National Labour Relation Board, arguing that it's unconstitutional?

Tonitrus

Why not?  Probably a pretty good shot that this USSC will go along and axe it.

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2024, 09:05:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2024, 05:23:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 04:49:11 PMYou guys are gonna go wild when you hear about trains :w00t:

You're going to go mad when I tell you about VIA Rail... :ultra:

That same route I just told you about: Edmonton to Winnipeg - travels twice per week.  The next train departs on Saturday at 7:50 pm, arriving Sunday at 10pm.  Cost is $311 for economy, $444 for a berth (coverts to a curtained sleeping area with two stacked beds).

That's compared to $562 for a flight on Westjet the same day (could probably be cheaper if flexible on the day) and would only take 6 hours (those are all with a connection in Calgary, there are direct flights as well).

6 hours versus 25 hours (driving would only take you about 13)... :hmm:

I am sure another big reason people choose to drive is that want their car for local travel at their destination (and depending on the circumstances of their travel, a rental car might not be practical or affordable).  It would be cool to expand car-carrying train travel possibilities (Amtrak does this on one line on the east coast, from DC to Florida)...but that option would still be both slower, and probably even more expensive.*

*Just checked....two-week round trip would be about $900 (17-hour train trip...google estimates 12 hours by car)

Flight from DC to Orlando for the same time?  $250-ish (I won't even consider Spirit Airlines' $85 quote)

With trains you don't need a car to get around the destination either.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on January 05, 2024, 03:51:20 AMWith trains you don't need a car to get around the destination either.

Maybe if the destination is just a compact city centre?

Or I guess alternatively if one has endless time/patience to walk to further afield sights or figure out the local bus system (assuming one exists)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.