News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2024, 02:33:22 PMIt was a real question, not a rhetorical one. I don't know how developed self-driving AI are for more complex traffic scenarios.
I don't know in that level of detail either.

That's why expect the breakthrough to be on highway level 4 driving. Much less complex than level 5, less safety challenges (typically no pedestrians etc.), less options (swerving with a semi is never a good idea) and a business case that is better than self-driving taxis.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2024, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2024, 02:31:51 PMI am assuming self-driving cars would be eminently doable already if all cars would be switched to such at the same time. Predictable behaviour and linked communications and voila.

That's assuming the most challenging issue is with other cars, rather than things like children and dogs running suddenly into traffic, bicyclists not behaving like cars, some idiot deciding to ride their e-scooter down a busy street etc
That's what Elon Musk's Neuralink is for.  :ph34r:

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2024, 02:43:56 PMThat's why expect the breakthrough to be on highway level 4 driving. Much less complex than level 5, less safety challenges (typically no pedestrians etc.), less options (swerving with a semi is never a good idea) and a business case that is better than self-driving taxis.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. As you said uphread - if they can keep the trucks on the road something like 22-24 hours/day that's a pretty big economic incentive.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2024, 02:14:39 PMThis  biggest problem with "defaulting to braking" I can imagine is on an highway, where perhaps the car just can't tell where it's going.  The worst thing you could do in such a situation is immediately stop.
Why would the car not be able to tell where it is going? I don't understand the situation you describe here. The car has sat nav, has exact maps, has great sensors able to "see" further and more than a human.
[/quote]

So first of all as I understand it Tesla doesn't have "great sensors" at all - it just has multiple video cameras, on the theory that if it's good enough for humans' it should be good enough for an AI.

But most other manufacturers use LIDAR if I understand it correctly - which absolutely can be faulty in snow or rain.  As for "sat nav and exact maps" - sat nav isn't that explicitly precise - it can tell you what road you're on, but not what lane etc.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Yeah I think you guys are right. Turning motorways into these things where you drive up manually, turn ElonAI on and sit back reading for a few hours while your car makes it way across the country would be pretty sweet.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2024, 04:26:45 PMYeah I think you guys are right. Turning motorways into these things where you drive up manually, turn ElonAI on and sit back reading for a few hours while your car makes it way across the country would be pretty sweet.

Oh no doubt!

I mean I like driving, but you've probably never driven across the Canadian prairies before.

For kicks I turned on the driving instructions to Winnipeg (from Edmonton).  It includes "Drive 381 km", "drive 134km", "drive 243 km" and "drive 564 km".  If I could snooze, or even just stay awake but read, that would be AWESOME.

Sheilbh

You guys are gonna go wild when you hear about trains :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2024, 04:32:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2024, 04:26:45 PMYeah I think you guys are right. Turning motorways into these things where you drive up manually, turn ElonAI on and sit back reading for a few hours while your car makes it way across the country would be pretty sweet.

Oh no doubt!

I mean I like driving, but you've probably never driven across the Canadian prairies before.

For kicks I turned on the driving instructions to Winnipeg (from Edmonton).  It includes "Drive 381 km", "drive 134km", "drive 243 km" and "drive 564 km".  If I could snooze, or even just stay awake but read, that would be AWESOME.

The deer carcasses along sask highways kept my very focused on the road :D . The random intersections on the highways were amusing too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 04:49:11 PMYou guys are gonna go wild when you hear about trains :w00t:

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 04:49:11 PMYou guys are gonna go wild when you hear about trains :w00t:

AI trains would be great. No more strikes :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2024, 05:00:02 PMAI trains would be great. No more strikes :P
Again incredible technological advancements have been made that in many ways mean AI wouldn't really be necessary for trains: tracks :P
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2024, 05:15:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2024, 05:00:02 PMAI trains would be great. No more strikes :P
Again incredible technological advancements have been made that in many ways mean AI wouldn't really be necessary for trains: tracks :P

But that doesn't alleviate strikes  :contract:

Sheilbh

No, that's true. Fair pay, benefits and conditions alleviate strikes :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

You're going to go mad when I tell you about VIA Rail... :ultra:

That same route I just told you about: Edmonton to Winnipeg - travels twice per week.  The next train departs on Saturday at 7:50 pm, arriving Sunday at 10pm.  Cost is $311 for economy, $444 for a berth (coverts to a curtained sleeping area with two stacked beds).

That's compared to $562 for a flight on Westjet the same day (could probably be cheaper if flexible on the day) and would only take 6 hours (those are all with a connection in Calgary, there are direct flights as well).

6 hours versus 25 hours (driving would only take you about 13)... :hmm: