News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Just because regulations are different doesn't make them safe.

crazy canuck

Musk continues his charm offensive with advertisers by telling them to Fuck Off during a live event/conference on Wednesday.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2023, 03:30:09 PMJust because regulations are different doesn't make them safe.

Not safe, but maybe still legal.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: Zanza on December 01, 2023, 01:11:25 PMJust read that the Cybertruck apparently has no crumple zone. :lol: I feel sorry for the people inside and outside that will die for this.

I am highly skeptical of this.  Cybertruck has to pass a number of crash tests in order to be certified for sale.  Those tests pretty much necessitate a crumple zone of one sort or another in order to pass.

Now I am curious how Tesla does this, since Cybertruck was supposed to be based on it's stainless steel "exo-skeleton" rather than a traditional unibody frame.  And maybe Cybertruck will have pretty crappy crash-worthiness.  But it's not going to be a death-trap - NHTSA and other agencies won't allow it.

They'll sell it as for farm use only, and states like Texas will change their laws to allow it on their roads.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2023, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2023, 03:30:09 PMJust because regulations are different doesn't make them safe.

Not safe, but maybe still legal.

For sure, but I understood this line of conversation to be about the safety not the legality:

Quote from: Zanza on December 01, 2023, 01:11:25 PMJust read that the Cybertruck apparently has no crumple zone. :lol: I feel sorry for the people inside and outside that will die for this.

Josquius

Fingers crossed cyber truck finally prompts action against the various legal loop holes and shit safety of pickups in general?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2023, 01:29:52 PMI just can't get past how ugly it is.
Oh it's hideous. I just always think of that Simpson episode when Homer destroys his brother's car company.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2023, 04:59:15 PMMusk continues his charm offensive with advertisers by telling them to Fuck Off during a live event/conference on Wednesday.

The users are the product and the advertisers are the customers.

So...worst salesman ever?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2023, 02:10:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2023, 04:59:15 PMMusk continues his charm offensive with advertisers by telling them to Fuck Off during a live event/conference on Wednesday.

You just don't get it, he's owning those advertisers. Somehow. 4d checkers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2023, 01:59:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2023, 01:29:52 PMI just can't get past how ugly it is.
Oh it's hideous. I just always think of that Simpson episode when Homer destroys his brother's car company.

glad I'm not the only one!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2023, 10:04:36 AMYou are forgetting that he bought Twitter because he was forced into it through court proceedings he finally realized he could not win. 

I'm not forgetting - he could have settled that case out for a monetary hit far less than what he has gotten himself into.  At the time, I thought that might be his play, but in hindsight that litigation was really a failed effort to renegotiate price against a savvy board that stuck to its guns.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2023, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2023, 10:04:36 AMYou are forgetting that he bought Twitter because he was forced into it through court proceedings he finally realized he could not win. 

I'm not forgetting - he could have settled that case out for a monetary hit far less than what he has gotten himself into.  At the time, I thought that might be his play, but in hindsight that litigation was really a failed effort to renegotiate price against a savvy board that stuck to its guns.

I don't think he ever really wanted to purchase the company given how much he tried to back peddle and get out of the deal.  I don't think he realized that what he was doing would become legally binding on him, until it was too late.

Your scenario makes a lot of sense if one assumes sophisticated parties on both sides.  But I think you give Musk too much credit.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2023, 02:10:00 AM

And as a bit of an insight into how things go so wrong so fast, the CEO sent an internal communication to all Twitter employees attaching the interview telling them that it was brilliant and something they must all watch and learn from.

There is nobody in Musk's orbit who would dare tell him the emperor has no clothes.

OttoVonBismarck

My impression was he bought a large stake in Twitter because he was annoyed at being modded, and hoped the CEO would suck his dick because he had bought a lot of shares. The CEO largely refused, so then he threatened to buy the company, and his ego and impulsiveness ended up with him signing a bad deal. That he seemed to quickly manufacture a reason to get out of, then realized legally he couldn't get out and had to buy it.

The Minsky Moment

OvB and CC - the problem with that theory is that the break price was "only" $1 billion.  Although objectively a lot of money, it was peanuts compared to the drop in market value prior to closing.  So there was no financial sense in which Musk "had" to buy the company.  It would have been straightforward to cut the $1 billion check and a good deal to boot.  But it would mean acknowledging defeat.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson