And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I suppose I can see why Musk has a problem with anti-fascists

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 03:25:30 PMWasn't he supposed to be a free-speech absolutist?

It's like he wants to bully brands into buying ad space on twitter lol. That's not how any of this works, buddy.

Promoting anti Semitism is free speech, but pointing out how he's promoting anti Semitism, or disagreeing with it, is beyond the pale.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 30, 2023, 04:36:07 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 03:25:30 PMWasn't he supposed to be a free-speech absolutist?

It's like he wants to bully brands into buying ad space on twitter lol. That's not how any of this works, buddy.

Promoting anti Semitism is free speech, but pointing out how he's promoting anti Semitism, or disagreeing with it, is beyond the pale.
Well yes. That's being a leftist snowflake.
PDH!

PDH

It's a good thing personal wealth equals morality or he would have a harder time with all this.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 30, 2023, 11:18:06 AMHe jumped pretty deep into a pool he knew very little about, and the results are unsurprising.

Some men at Musk's age spend ridiculous amounts of money on a sports car or some other pointless and expensive hobby.  Musk is spending about the same proportion of his wealth on his hobby as others do, it just comes out to a lot more money.  He didn't buy Twitter to get rich.  He bought it to have his own sandbox to play in, rule over his twits with a mighty hand to the delight of sycophants and the tsk-tsking of his imaginary woke adversaries.   Whether it makes any money is besides the point.  His new friend Donald can tell him all he needs to know about all the different ways you can screw corporate creditors.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2023, 09:08:26 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 30, 2023, 11:18:06 AMHe jumped pretty deep into a pool he knew very little about, and the results are unsurprising.

Some men at Musk's age spend ridiculous amounts of money on a sports car or some other pointless and expensive hobby.  Musk is spending about the same proportion of his wealth on his hobby as others do, it just comes out to a lot more money.  He didn't buy Twitter to get rich.  He bought it to have his own sandbox to play in, rule over his twits with a mighty hand to the delight of sycophants and the tsk-tsking of his imaginary woke adversaries.   Whether it makes any money is besides the point.  His new friend Donald can tell him all he needs to know about all the different ways you can screw corporate creditors.

It does make more sense with this outlook.
But its not how he presents it. And it does make for a deeply disturbing image.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2023, 09:08:26 AM

You are forgetting that he bought Twitter because he was forced into it through court proceedings he finally realized he could not win. 

Zanza

Just read that the Cybertruck apparently has no crumple zone. :lol: I feel sorry for the people inside and outside that will die for this.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on December 01, 2023, 01:11:25 PMJust read that the Cybertruck apparently has no crumple zone. :lol: I feel sorry for the people inside and outside that will die for this.

I am highly skeptical of this.  Cybertruck has to pass a number of crash tests in order to be certified for sale.  Those tests pretty much necessitate a crumple zone of one sort or another in order to pass.

Now I am curious how Tesla does this, since Cybertruck was supposed to be based on it's stainless steel "exo-skeleton" rather than a traditional unibody frame.  And maybe Cybertruck will have pretty crappy crash-worthiness.  But it's not going to be a death-trap - NHTSA and other agencies won't allow it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I just can't get past how ugly it is.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 01, 2023, 01:29:52 PMI just can't get past how ugly it is.

I still want one (although after buying a F-150 this past summer I aint getting one any time soon).

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 01:23:01 PMI am highly skeptical of this.  Cybertruck has to pass a number of crash tests in order to be certified for sale.  Those tests pretty much necessitate a crumple zone of one sort or another in order to pass.
Yes. Although I have seen doubts that it can pass European pedestrian safety regulation.

QuoteNow I am curious how Tesla does this, since Cybertruck was supposed to be based on it's stainless steel "exo-skeleton" rather than a traditional unibody frame.  And maybe Cybertruck will have pretty crappy crash-worthiness.  But it's not going to be a death-trap - NHTSA and other agencies won't allow it.
There were body-in-white pictures a while ago that looked like the Cybertruck has a traditional unibody, just with flat instead of curved panels.

Iormlund

Pedestrian safety guidelines ask for a curved surface of the bonnet, that should be able to deform and absorb the impact of the person hit.

To say that an angular steel shape doesn't seem ideal would be an understatement.

Plus it's high enough for kids to crush their thorax and hit their head on the leading edge of the bonnet.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on December 01, 2023, 03:17:41 PMPedestrian safety guidelines ask for a curved surface of the bonnet, that should be able to deform and absorb the impact of the person hit.

To say that an angular steel shape doesn't seem optimum would be an understatement.

Plus it's high enough for kids to crush their thorax and hit their head on the leading edge of the bonnet.

I don't know the intricacies, but regulations are different for trucks than for cars.  My F-150 obviously doesn't have the extreme angular shape of Cybertruck, but it also doesn't have a curved bonnett and is really quite high.