News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Hmmm... certainly a non-standard way to engage with existing and potential clients. Pretty sure it's quite unorthodox for heads of organizations depending on advertising for their revenue.

I suppose time will tell how this is a genius way to run his company.

Grey Fox

He's going to again get a call from MBS pretty soon, imo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

It's like he's transforming into a living social media meme.

"If you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best."

Then the one of some badass looking into the camera with the caption, "I tell it like it is snowflake!"
PDH!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

On the one hand - that is the right response. The commercial/advertising tail of social media platforms or publishers shouldn't wag the dog.

On the other hand their owners shouldn't go around chatting shite/shitposting and it's probably not a great business decision to spend billions just so you have your own dedicated shitpost product...
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on November 30, 2023, 08:26:55 AMGo anti woke, go broke.
I know you like playing the Uno reverse card with everything woke-related, but you do realize that you're talking about literally the richest person in the world, right?

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2023, 10:07:31 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 30, 2023, 08:26:55 AMGo anti woke, go broke.
I know you like playing the Uno reverse card with everything woke-related, but you do realize that you're talking about literally the richest person in the world, right?

His beer is currently being held.
Certainly limiting things just to twitter it all looks quite the disaster.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 09:55:53 AMOn the one hand - that is the right response. The commercial/advertising tail of social media platforms or publishers shouldn't wag the dog.

Of course, and the earth shouldn't have to revolve around the sun either.  The sun should get its ass in gear and revolve around us.

Every major social media platform is designed to fund itself through advertising.  Given that and the disinclination of government to effectively regulate, at least in the US, this is spitting into the wind.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

There's different scales as well--Facebook for example captures the vast majority of social media advertising dollars. While they probably, like any company, will make certain concessions to really big blue chip accounts, my guess is if some random company paying them for ads got pissed over some Facebook policy or position that the company viewed as important, they would invite them to buy ads on another platform.

Musk's issue is he bought a company that was a major laggard in advertising revenue before he took it over--because Twitter was much smaller than the other social networks and also seen as intrinsically less valuable per-user. (For many reasons we've already discussed--there is less rich user data attached to most Twitter accounts, the way Twitter serves advertising is seen as less effective etc.) I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think before all the drama started Apple alone was a major chunk of all of Twitter's revenue, probably significantly larger as a single customer than any of Facebook's customers.

Musk also has just never been involved in running a company where he is so vulnerable to what this "type" of customer thinks. Advertisers are all risk-averse, corporate types. They generally care quite a bit about perception, PR, etc. Musk is just used to not having to work in that world--in fact Musk often has ignorantly mocked people who do as being woke / etc because he doesn't (or didn't) understand the financial reasons many companies manage their PR the way they do.

He jumped pretty deep into a pool he knew very little about, and the results are unsurprising.

Jacob

Who would've thought PR folks would care about things like PR? I can see why Musk would be surprised by discovering this :lol:

But yeah, I think that's spot on OvB.

Sheilbh

Agree - and you can see the subscription model as a way to hedge against advertising. But it doesn't really exist, I don't think, and there's only so much you can do for brand safety when the main risk is the owner.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 01:19:40 PMAgree - and you can see the subscription model as a way to hedge against advertising. But it doesn't really exist, I don't think, and there's only so much you can do for brand safety when the main risk is the owner.

Add to that the fact that Musk fired all the people engaged in risk management.

Zoupa

Wasn't he supposed to be a free-speech absolutist?

It's like he wants to bully brands into buying ad space on twitter lol. That's not how any of this works, buddy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 03:25:30 PMWasn't he supposed to be a free-speech absolutist?

It's like he wants to bully brands into buying ad space on twitter lol. That's not how any of this works, buddy.

You always have to remember the way in which free-speech is understood by some.  That they can say whatever they want and nobody has the right to say anything bad about what they said.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 03:25:30 PMWasn't he supposed to be a free-speech absolutist?

He's been labeling leftwing accounts "antifa" and blocking them.  Largely at the request of far-right groups.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017