News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-says-many-big-105629269.html

QuoteElon Musk says many big advertisers are the 'greatest oppressors' of free speech after several pull ads from X in antisemitism controversy

Elon Musk said many large advertisers are "oppressors" of free speech after several corporations said they would pause ads on X amid an antisemitism controversy.

Musk posted encouraging users to sign up for the Premium+ version of X, which he said does not have ads, and added: "Many of the largest advertisers are the greatest oppressors of your right to free speech."

Apple, Disney, and IBM were among the major corporations who pulled ads from X after a controversial post from Musk appeared to endorse an antisemitic message.

Earlier this week, Musk responded to a post that criticized "western Jewish populations" and said Jewish people were pushing "hatred against whites."

"You have said the actual truth," Musk wrote in response.

The original post hinted at the "great replacement" conspiracy theory, which claims that nonwhite immigrants to Western countries are replacing white populations. The theory is often invoked against Jews who are pro-immigration.

Musk has faced widespread criticism for his comments, including Facebook cofounder Dustin Moskovitz calling for him to step down from the six companies he is CEO of.

Amid the controversy, the nonprofit media watchdog group Media Matters put out a report saying it had found ads from big brands next to pro-Nazi content.

In response to the report, Musk said on Saturday that X will file a "thermonuclear" lawsuit against the organization.

X CEO Linda Yaccarino had tried to quell concerns about the platform, saying on Thursday: "When it comes to this platform -- X has also been extremely clear about our efforts to combat antisemitism and discrimination. There's no place for it anywhere in the world -- it's ugly and wrong. Full stop."

Always amusing to see a billionaire who uses his platform to boost/suppress opinions to his whims complain about billion dollar corporations doing same with their ad dollars. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2023, 04:05:41 PMPut aside the non-existent merits of such a lawsuit.  Media Matters is a non profit whose entire annual revenue wouldn't be enough to run The Company Formerly Known As Twitter for a day.  This is a nonsense business model.

How about a nice game of chess, Elon?

On that note, Chaya Raichik (Libs of TikTok) about Ari Drennen (the LGBTQ program director for Media Matters). And we know how Musk feels about trans people ...  :rolleyes:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Thecright picture makes look more like he's likes dressing up as a priest. Some unfortunate cropping there

Syt

Well, she's looking less priestly these days.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2023, 02:10:36 AMWell, she's looking less priestly these days.

I dunno. Tell me this woman is a priest and my response would be "yep. Off duty and no collar but the dresscode matches."

QuoteAlways amusing to see a billionaire who uses his platform to boost/suppress opinions to his whims complain about billion dollar corporations doing same with their ad dollars. :P
It really is amazing how super into projection the far right are.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Wow what a shitshow.  :lol:

Let's count our blessings and be happy Musk wasn't born a US citizen, there'd be absolutely nothing stopping him becoming President otherwise.

Syt

He feels more and more like a significantly richer John McAfee. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Many states including California and the District of Columbia, have anti-SLAPP laws. These laws impose monetary sanctions for dubious lawsuits targeting journalists exercising speech rights on matters of public interest. 

It may be possible to get around that by filing in federal court but you then expose yourself to Rule 11 sanctions for frivolous cases. Elon can talk to his buddy Donald about this, as a bunch of the Trump campaign lawyers got sanctioned in the 2020 election lawsuits.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2023, 04:29:37 PMI guess his goal is to destroy them?

Then he is not as smart as his supporters claim. This will likely end up being costly for him as the court will likely throw out the lawsuit and impose significant financial costs on him for bringing a meritless defamation claim.  He will also likely end up paying the defendant's lawyers fees.

Jacob

... but... but... there are 2 dozen+ Conservative state AGs? Won't they just do Elon's bidding?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2023, 10:59:46 AM... but... but... there are 2 dozen+ Conservative state AGs? Won't they just do Elon's bidding?

They will, well, try.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Look I am not an attorney but based on my total layman's understanding:

1. I don't think its a conservative AGs job to force people to give Elon Musk money.

2. Also even if Media Matters is just lying its ass off, I don't see where the criminal fraud comes from. Maybe it is libel, but that is notoriously hard to prove.

3. Finally not just any AG can do this, they have to have jurisdiction.

But I am not a genius like Elon Musk so what do I know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2023, 11:54:52 AMLook I am not an attorney but based on my total layman's understanding:

1. I don't think its a conservative AGs job to force people to give Elon Musk money.

2. Also even if Media Matters is just lying its ass off, I don't see where the criminal fraud comes from. Maybe it is libel, but that is notoriously hard to prove.

3. Finally not just any AG can do this, they have to have jurisdiction.

But I am not a genius like Elon Musk so what do I know?

I suspect Jacob was making a joke.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2023, 11:55:52 AMI suspect Jacob was making a joke.

And what was he making the joke about? Maybe something else posted in the thread? Maybe this:

I was also commenting on that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."