News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Not sure if it's tied to the same exodus but IBM just left when they found out their ads next to pro nazi ones.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

How much of his own money is tied up with the debacle? Don't think he'd really care if and when twitter goes belly up.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: HVC on November 17, 2023, 07:02:03 PMHow much of his own money is tied up with the debacle? Don't think he'd really care if and when twitter goes belly up.

My understanding is of the $44bn deal, Musk agreed to put up $33.5bn of the purchase.

Investment banks put up the difference (which they have subsequently had trouble offloading, because during the time they were processing it the market sentiment on Twitter massively collapsed and it is seen as very junk grade debt.)

Of the $33.5bn Musk put up, I believe $7bn was from his equity partners--entities like Oracle's Larry Ellison, the Saudis. That left around $26.5bn to cover from Musk. Now, Musk already owned around 9.5% of Twitter publicly traded stock, which was folded into the deal for around $4bn, so Musk basically had to come up with around $20-22bn of real cash to close out the deal, which AFAIK was financed by selling TSLA shares.

I don't think the nominal value of the money is probably what he cares about, he is probably annoyed he had to move that much money out of TSLA since it is certainly the more valuable investment and more likely to have high future returns (although he is working vigorously to undermine Tesla's market standing as well.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2023, 06:14:07 PMMusk is learning, or rather finding out, in real time that speech does have consequences, no matter how freely it is exercised. And I suppose more to the point, if not exercised in a way that is thoughtful.

I would say speech has many facets. Klansman and neo-Nazis want the freedom to exploit powerful tech platforms to spread their noxious message.  Large advertisers want the freedom to deliver their own messages to potential customers free from assocation with Nazi propaganda.  Both freedoms can't be exercised at the same time; either one or the other has to accept some disappointment.  It's up to the platform to decide which speech to privilege. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Seems to me that Twitter privileges the spreading of Musk's inane verbal wankery.

Gups

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2023, 06:14:07 PMThe New York Times is reporting that advertisers are leaving X in droves as a result of Musk's endorsement of the antisemitic post.

Musk is learning, or rather finding out, in real time that speech does have consequences, no matter how freely it is exercised. And I suppose more to the point, if not exercised in a way that is thoughtful.

No, it's the fault of an organisation called Media Matters and he is going to sue them the split second the courtsopen on Monday. Thermonuclear style.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/18/elon-musk-to-file-thermonuclear-lawsuit-as-advertisers-desert-x

He sounds more and more like Trump every day.

Syt

Surely he doesn't want to take them to task for exercising their right to free speech in their reporting etc.? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Media Matters is going to regret this bigly

The Brain

Are they on North Norfolk Digital?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2023, 09:58:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2023, 06:14:07 PMMusk is learning, or rather finding out, in real time that speech does have consequences, no matter how freely it is exercised. And I suppose more to the point, if not exercised in a way that is thoughtful.

I would say speech has many facets. Klansman and neo-Nazis want the freedom to exploit powerful tech platforms to spread their noxious message.  Large advertisers want the freedom to deliver their own messages to potential customers free from assocation with Nazi propaganda.  Both freedoms can't be exercised at the same time; either one or the other has to accept some disappointment.  It's up to the platform to decide which speech to privilege. 

Very true.  But entirely inconsistent with the views, musk has expressed regarding speech.

It's why I qualified my comment that he was learning something. I don't think he's learning anything at all, but rather this episode has confirmation of his own beliefs, that all speech should be free and without consequence.

At some point he had to collide with reality.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on November 18, 2023, 04:52:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 17, 2023, 06:14:07 PMThe New York Times is reporting that advertisers are leaving X in droves as a result of Musk's endorsement of the antisemitic post.

Musk is learning, or rather finding out, in real time that speech does have consequences, no matter how freely it is exercised. And I suppose more to the point, if not exercised in a way that is thoughtful.

No, it's the fault of an organisation called Media Matters and he is going to sue them the split second the courtsopen on Monday. Thermonuclear style.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/18/elon-musk-to-file-thermonuclear-lawsuit-as-advertisers-desert-x

He sounds more and more like Trump every day.

Yep

Jacob

He doesn't believe Media Matters should have free speech?

The Minsky Moment

Put aside the non-existent merits of such a lawsuit.  Media Matters is a non profit whose entire annual revenue wouldn't be enough to run The Company Formerly Known As Twitter for a day.  This is a nonsense business model.

How about a nice game of chess, Elon?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

I guess his goal is to destroy them?

Sheilbh

Hell of a scoop:
https://www.semafor.com/article/11/19/2023/twitter-bets-big-on-ceos-son

We know Yaccarino can't control Musk, but it sounds like she's got no interest in even trying to build a credible platform either.
Let's bomb Russia!