News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

It's very well known that ventilators killed thousands of COVID victims by preventing them from evolving the capacity for anaerobic respiration.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2023, 01:28:43 PMI mean this is sort of like saying most of those who receive treatment for stage 4 cancer die, so clearly the treatment is killing the patient not the stage 4 cancer.

Finally there is understanding.
100% of everyone who died in all of history breathed oxyygen.  If we could just get people to stop doing that we could save billions of lives.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2023, 01:30:58 PMIt's very well known that ventilators killed thousands of COVID victims by preventing them from evolving the capacity for anaerobic respiration.

maybe they think people get 'connected' to those big ventilators using fast-spinning blades in their fans?

DGuller

To be fair, I vaguely recall that at the beginning of the pandemic, ventilators were often not used correctly (they needed to be used differently for Covid patients than what was SOP pre-Covid), and I recall some arguing that they were indeed more likely to finish off the patient that might have survived than to save the patient that would've died.  This is not to say that those two towering intellects were thinking of it in this way, though.

HVC

These are the guys that would protest against seat belt because they increase vehicle injuries while ignoring the decreased vehicle deaths.

I used to like Joe, I could look past his dumb moon conspiracy stuff, because it was harmless, but he's just a dumb rich guy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, most likely Elon's off the cuff was a misunderstanding of that.

Ventilators do damage the body, and are brutal to use, but they are typically used when someone is in a condition where the alternative is "dying from inability to breathe."

Early covid, in some cases, people may have been vented before they needed to be, and that can cause harm that perhaps would not have otherwise occurred. However, at the same time--without some of the better treatments available, venting them early often times you may still have been talking about a patient that was on their way out regardless. But later in covid they definitely tried to use positional breathing and oxygen supplementation for longer before switching someone to a vent.

I would wager the vast majority of those who died on vents died because they had a terminal covid infection and weren't going to survive regardless.

Syt

Not sure why you guys question Elon Musk, MD.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2023, 02:42:34 PMTo be fair, I vaguely recall that at the beginning of the pandemic, ventilators were often not used correctly (they needed to be used differently for Covid patients than what was SOP pre-Covid), and I recall some arguing that they were indeed more likely to finish off the patient that might have survived than to save the patient that would've died.  This is not to say that those two towering intellects were thinking of it in this way, though.
Yeah I don't think that's at all what they mean, but I think it was one of the early shifts in treating covid was that they were intubating etc too quickly and too often. I think it was basically treating it like you would other similar-ish diseases, but it turned out to not help.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2023, 02:57:58 PMNot sure why you guys question Elon Musk, MD.

That's an interesting theory.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Elon is going to buy up all the hospitals and pharma companies next. Tell them how to do things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

To fully capture the previous thread, the sub caption on the thread title should have read "and we need 50 more like him"

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2023, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2023, 02:42:34 PMTo be fair, I vaguely recall that at the beginning of the pandemic, ventilators were often not used correctly (they needed to be used differently for Covid patients than what was SOP pre-Covid), and I recall some arguing that they were indeed more likely to finish off the patient that might have survived than to save the patient that would've died.  This is not to say that those two towering intellects were thinking of it in this way, though.
Yeah I don't think that's at all what they mean, but I think it was one of the early shifts in treating covid was that they were intubating etc too quickly and too often. I think it was basically treating it like you would other similar-ish diseases, but it turned out to not help.

If we're going to be generous maybe reports about these early screw ups got filtered through a few years of insane people playing Chinese whispers into a modern general purpose VENTILATORS ARE DEATH MACHINES.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The Spanish trade market regulator has announced it is investingating X for running fraudulent cryptocurrency advertising.

Jacob

I thought a whole bunch of IC vehicles actually gained value on the used market in the last few years. Seems like Tesla's fared quite poorly relative to a number of other vehicles in terms of depreciation.