News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

A wise man once said, I think, we need "50 more guys like him" in reference to Dear Elon.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 31, 2023, 08:06:04 AMA wise man once said, I think, we need "50 more guys like him" in reference to Dear Elon.

Meh, SpaceX, Tesla, "x" - 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
This really nothing fundamentally wrong with Elon that a little nationalization of Starlink can't fix.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2023, 08:23:04 AMWas that man Vladimir Putin?

I won't slur Berky like that, I do like the guy despite us arguing at times.

DGuller

For all his faults, the impact of which may yet grow catastrophically, it does feel very off when his accomplishments are dismissed.  With both Tesla and SpaceX, you can make an argument that one man made a big difference to the world.  Yes, some people say that Musk didn't do anything himself, but that sounds like an unserious selective critique.

Jacob

At the very least, he was good at identifying a winner and swooping in to take the credit.

A more generous interpretation is that he brought something to the table that turned potential winners into de-facto winners.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2023, 11:15:38 AMAt the very least, he was good at identifying a winner and swooping in to take the credit.

Blind luck that he chose Tesla

HVC

He's a great pitch man. He can get investors to hand over money. Which is a great skill in and of itself.  But then again so is trump.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2023, 11:19:17 AMBlind luck that he chose Tesla

I have no clue, and don't really care either way. Being consistently lucky is not bad either.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on October 31, 2023, 10:54:32 AMFor all his faults, the impact of which may yet grow catastrophically, it does feel very off when his accomplishments are dismissed.  With both Tesla and SpaceX, you can make an argument that one man made a big difference to the world.  Yes, some people say that Musk didn't do anything himself, but that sounds like an unserious selective critique.

My take was always Musk's killer talent is as a pitch man. I think some people view that as a derogatory claim--it isn't. If everyone could attract massive investor capital to businesses which, at the time, were losers in every meaningful respect (SpaceX and Tesla) and continue to maintain investor enthusiasm until both became viable businesses--then there would be a lot fewer businesses of this type going tits up after a few years. It is a genuine skill, and one that is rewarded lucratively.

What I have always objected to is the portrayals of him as a modern day Edison or Tesla (and yes, I know Edison himself has an exaggerated reputation.) Musk largely is not a technical person, lied about how much of technical education he even had, has apparently not worked on any actual technical work since doing some PHP programming in the mid-90s in his small startup that later got acquired--and fell ass backwards into a few billion due to being acquired by the company that became PayPal.

He was not responsible for PayPal's success--in fact he was fired from there due to being bad at his job.

But he deserves meaningful credit in being able to hold investors together to fund two companies in fields that historically have not been able to attract capital or sustain much investment as startups--a car company and a rocket company.

However, he wants to claim full credit for the tech work, which he didn't do. Tesla was started by two smart automotive engineers, and all of its technical successes have been because of its engineering teams, not Musk's personal tech savvy. SpaceX was always largely staffed by rocketry experts from other aerospace firms.

Musk just literally does not have the education or the occupational history to design rockets or cars. He has, factually, not designed rockets or cars. He pays people to do so.

That isn't a neg, it is a statement of fact. The reason it comes off as a neg is because Musk wants to be known as an inventor, not a really successful capital raiser, but that is what he is.

Valmy

Musk was incredibly effective as a pitch man. I love him, he was just what the EV market needed. EVs had to be cool to succeed and he made them cool.

So it is really frustrating he is destroying himself as an asset with all this insanity. Yet another thing twitter/X ruined.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Musk made a lot of money in the late 90s from Paypal.  I mean there was the whole dotcom bubble, lots of people made money.  Musk made out with $175 million when Paypal was acquired by eBay.  Obviously a lot of money, but nothing completely crazy in the world of silicon valley.

He could have done a bunch of things with his money.  He could go retire on a tropical island somewhere.  He could go form yet another venture capitalist firm.

But no - he goes out and invests $100 million to found SpaceX, and then goes on to buy a majority stake in start-up Tesla.  Both of which promised technologies that could revolutionize their respective industries by having reusable rockets and electric cars.  But both of which were highly risky endeavours, and well outside the typical world of software startups.

Not a technical genius, although he'd like you to think he is.  He has many personal flaws, and definitely in a story as old as time his considerable success has gone to his head making him think he can do no wrong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

So good of us to recreate the content of my dead thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2023, 03:06:19 PMSo good of us to recreate the content of my dead thread.

We won't let Elon win!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2023, 03:06:19 PMSo good of us to recreate the content of my dead thread.

It belonged to the people  :pope:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.