News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2023, 03:45:05 PMhttps://www.theverge.com/2023/10/26/23934216/x-twitter-bank-elon-musk-2024

QuoteElon Musk gives X employees one year to replace your bank

Elon Musk wants X to be the center of your financial world, handling anything in your life that deals with money. He expects those features to launch by the end of 2024, he told X employees during an all-hands call on Thursday, saying that people will be surprised with "just how powerful it is."

"When I say payments, I actually mean someone's entire financial life," Musk said, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Verge. "If it involves money. It'll be on our platform. Money or securities or whatever. So, it's not just like send $20 to my friend. I'm talking about, like, you won't need a bank account."

X CEO Linda Yaccarino said the company sees this becoming a "full opportunity" in 2024. "It would blow my mind if we don't have that rolled out by the end of next year," Musk said.

The company is currently working on locking down money transmission licenses across the US so that it can offer financial services. Musk told employees Thursday that he hopes to get the others X needs in "the next few months."

Musk has discussed his plans to turn X into a financial hub before. He even renamed Twitter after his dot-com-boom-era online bank, X.com, which eventually became part of PayPal. He previously said the platform would offer high-yield money market accounts, debit cards, checks, and loan services, with the goal of letting users "send money anywhere in the world instantly and in real-time."

The original plan for X.com is clearly on Musk's mind. "The X/PayPal product roadmap was written by myself and David Sacks actually in July of 2000," Musk said on Thursday's internal X call. "And for some reason PayPal, once it became eBay, not only did they not implement the rest of the list, but they actually rolled back a bunch of key features, which is crazy. So PayPal is actually a less complete product than what we came up with in July of 2000, so 23 years ago."

Turning X into a rich hub for financial services ties directly into Musk's goal of making the platform into an "everything app," akin to super apps like WeChat in China that offer access to shopping, transportation, and more.

Musk faces major challenges to get there, though. Convincing people why they need such a platform is one. Getting them to trust X with their entire financial life is another.

Currently I wouldn't trust Musk to hold my drink while I tie my shoes, let alone my money. :P

That's an interesting headline, given that it's about something never covered in the article.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote"If it involves money. It'll be on our platform. Money or securities or whatever. So, it's not just like send $20 to my friend. I'm talking about, like, you won't need a bank account."

I think it could be inferred from this comment that he wants to make banks (or at least bank accounts) superfluous.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, surely the kind of post you should make when your companies make a lot of money from the US government:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Bizzare post. More something you'd expect from the left. Can't see his fans much going for that.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

I think the military base thing is one of the pillars of Russian propaganda, you can't listen to it for long before military bases come up.  Any bit of Russian propaganda will eventually have believers on the right.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on October 28, 2023, 10:56:22 AMBizzare post. More something you'd expect from the left. Can't see his fans much going for that.

Not really. It's on brand for a South African to side with Russia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Yes, all those nonexisting US bases in Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan must be such a threat.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Maladict on October 28, 2023, 11:19:02 AMYes, all those nonexisting US bases in Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan must be such a threat.

maybe some of those flags represent mc donalds franchises?

HVC

The stable genius obviously knows where all the secret bases are
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

HVC

All the history lost, like tears in the rain  :cry:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

OttoVonBismarck

HVC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 30, 2023, 03:29:04 PMWhat am I missing?  :ph34r:

When languish was down the Elon musk thread disappeared. Current bets are Elon did it, Berk did it, or it was just a weird coincidence :P

Solmyr

Quote from: HVC on October 30, 2023, 03:30:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 30, 2023, 03:29:04 PMWhat am I missing?  :ph34r:

When languish was down the Elon musk thread disappeared. Current bets are Elon did it, Berk did it, or it was just a weird coincidence :P

Where's the Jaron option?