News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Wait, that Scalise fellow not hardline enough for the MAGA wing? Christ.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2023, 09:14:55 AMWait, that Scalise fellow not hardline enough for the MAGA wing? Christ.

Christ is definitely not hard line enough.  He doesn't have a chance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

We don't like his eye of a needle stance, but we love his "if you come to me but will not leave your family, you cannot be my follower. You must love me more than your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters—even more than your own life!" stance.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Christ is weak on tax cuts.  And this business about easier for camels to get through the eye of a needle than for Wealth Creators to enter heaven  - the whole camels business is very sus.  He claims to be some kind of "Christ"ian but sounds more radical Islam to me.  Apparently, no one has ever seen his real birth certificate and his press guy keeps telling different stories - was it Nazareth or Bethlehem? More like some mosque in Nairobi no doubt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Christ is also weak on military spending - love thy neighbour?  Yeah right.  Christ is also weak on gay marriage.  It sounds a bit like he would not selectively enforce Leviticus the way the GOP would like.  And have you looked into his background of spending time with prostitutes?

Savonarola

Key Republican wears scarlet 'A' T-shirt after vote to oust McCarthy

While I thought that seemed like a bold statement; (and really something she should be discussing with her husband rather than parading it in the capitol,) she doesn't actually mean she's an adulteress or that she's pregnant due to an adulterous affair.  Instead:

Quote"I'm wearing the scarlet letter after the week I just had, being a woman up here, and being demonized for my vote and for my voice," Mace told reporters on Tuesday, adding: "I will do the right thing every single time, no matter the consequences."

That's a... um... unique take on Hawthorn's novel.  (And really, couldn't you get a silk screen or something?  The iron-ons my mom used to put on my t-shirts when I was five looked more professional than that.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

20 GOP members vote against Jim Jordan for speaker.

Have the house moderates FINALLY started to stand up for themselves?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Doesn't look like it, no.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

A vote for Gym Jordan is a vote for shutdown.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Seriously, a guy who was the responsible person during a massive sex abuse scandal is going to lead the Republicans in Congress?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2023, 02:01:46 PMSeriously, a guy who was the responsible person during a massive sex abuse scandal is going to lead the Republicans in Congress?

As chair of the Judiciary Committee he is already a leading Republican in Congress.

But he isn't speaker yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

An absolute travesty that completely destroys any pretensions to moral righteousness the Republicans may have.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2023, 04:32:32 PMAn absolute travesty that completely destroys any pretensions to moral righteousness the Republicans may have.

Just another one to add to the pile.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2023, 01:05:03 PM20 GOP members vote against Jim Jordan for speaker.

Have the house moderates FINALLY started to stand up for themselves?

When I looked at the list of the Republicans who voted against him I assumed Jordan frequently uses racial epithets.  (I'm not saying that he doesn't, but) the ones who voted against him in Florida represent urban districts (Miami and Jacksonville) and the one in Michigan represents Detroit's older (blue collar) suburbs.  These districts would all by hit hard by an inevitable Jordan shutdown.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2023, 02:01:46 PMSeriously, a guy who was the responsible person during a massive sex abuse scandal is going to lead the Republicans in Congress?
You're talking like that hasn't happened before.