News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Troy had some OK stuff mixed in with the rest IIRC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 09:04:04 AMDaily is pushing it, but at least once a week? Definitely.

That sounds like a poll...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2023, 10:32:35 AMAlba Longa was descended from the Trojans. The only Roman descended from the Trojans was Romulus himself, and he had no children IIRC.

Alba Longa's populous was absorbed into Rome, and several patrician families claimed descent from the Trojans, notably the Julii from Aeneas himself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/4/23903859/x-elon-musk-headlines-links-image-twitter

QuoteX stops showing headlines because Elon Musk thinks it will make posts look better

X, formerly Twitter, is no longer showing headlines on articles shared on the platform. Instead, X is only showing the article's lead image and the domain it will link you to.

You can see the differences between the new version of link previews in the X iOS app and the old version on the web in this comparison image I stitched together:

[His screenshot sucks, I add other below]

I also made a post on X to demonstrate what's going on.

After I first published this article, I also saw the new format on the web.

This change, while very annoying, doesn't come as a total surprise. Fortune reported in August that this change was in the works, and X owner Elon Musk confirmed that the switchover was "coming from me directly" and would "greatly improve the esthetics [sic]." I don't have an Android device to test with, but if the change hasn't already appeared on the Android version of the app, I'd guess it will show up there eventually.

Musk has recently been encouraging users to post more content to X directly in an effort to help boost engagement on the platform (and perhaps also because he "almost never" reads "legacy news anymore"). He's also said that the platform's algorithm "tries to optimize time spent on X," meaning that "links don't get as much attention" and that the "best thing is to post content in long form on this platform."

In my opinion, removing headlines makes X harder to use — posts are less easy to parse at a glance — so I'm not sure if this change is going to lead to people posting more often like Musk hopes.

Update October 5th, 1:02AM ET: The change has appeared on the web, too.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

And yet millions keep using.  :whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Which is baffling. I was quite reluctant to leave because I had curated my feed and mostly got relevant content/discussion in it, and most people I was following hadn't left, either..

But when it was switched to showing paid sub comments at the top of all responses ... nah, not gonna scroll through all that. And none of the "improvements" since were exactly enticing.

Also seeing conflicting reports on platform usage. I think login by unique users per month are up, but interactions are away down?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Im not so sure people keep using it... A lot of prominent figures have left.
I suppose a lot keep wanting to watch the flames and there's a lot happening in the world now.
Also the drop off in usage by the sane will be somewhat counter balanced by the shit eaters coming back.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I mean ... I guess it's worth a try. :lol:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I suspect the EU will not use Twitter to serve notice on regulatory infractions. 

crazy canuck

I wonder if Elon understands that regulator has the authority to order X to suspend its operations until they come within compliance.

And am I correct that there is essentially a reverse onus?

Hamilcar

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2023, 12:29:37 PMI wonder if Elon understands that regulator has the authority to order X to suspend its operations until they come within compliance.

And am I correct that there is essentially a reverse onus?

Also the burden of proof for compliance lies with X. This isn't the US legal system.

Hamilcar

My guess is Elmo fired all the compliance people so he couldn't produce evidence of compliance with the DSA even if he wanted to.

Also the DSA fine is up to 6% of global turnover. Enjoy!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 12, 2023, 01:37:32 PMMy guess is Elmo fired all the compliance people so he couldn't produce evidence of compliance with the DSA even if he wanted to.

Also the DSA fine is up to 6% of global turnover. Enjoy!

He didn't fire them all, but the ones he didn't quit within a couple weeks anyway.