And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2023, 02:21:57 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 02:12:41 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 29, 2023, 02:04:28 AMHe's making a strong case for liberal arts education.

Or a proper history/archaeology education. Rome had already been founded by the time the Trojan war is supposed to have happened.

Aren't those liberal arts? :unsure:

Badly phrased. I meant a more factual approach rather than the myths.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 03:11:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2023, 02:21:57 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 02:12:41 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 29, 2023, 02:04:28 AMHe's making a strong case for liberal arts education.

Or a proper history/archaeology education. Rome had already been founded by the time the Trojan war is supposed to have happened.

Aren't those liberal arts? :unsure:

Badly phrased. I meant a more factual approach rather than the myths.

Got it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2023, 01:31:07 AM

:hmm:

How about that, men really do think about the Roman Empire every day; even those who are obviously completely ignorant of the subject.  I wonder what evolutionary function that serves, and why it's a sex-selective gene.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2023, 07:35:49 AMHow about that, men really do think about the Roman Empire every day; even those who are obviously completely ignorant of the subject.  I wonder what evolutionary function that serves, and why it's a sex-selective gene.

I've heard this claim before and wonder where it came from.  It's certainly not true of me nor (that I know of) any man I know.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

It was a TikTok trend of women asking their husbands/bfs and being amazed how often they think about the Roman Empire.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Daily is pushing it, but at least once a week? Definitely.

Valmy

I mean I think about the Roman Empire from time to time because I studied Latin in school and know a lot about Roman history and it relates to plenty of stuff in our western culture.

But if I didn't have an interest in that stuff why would I think about it? I mean I also think about Napoleon pretty often.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 01:57:08 AMAnd he still gets it wrong. Even in the myth the exiles were not a group of competent soldiers. Aeneas was one of the few soldiers that escaped, they were just a bunch of refugees. And Aeneas founded Lavinium, not Rome.

It's a telling error. Musk's explanation for the historical achievements of the Roman Empire is that the Romans must descend from a master race of super soldiers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2023, 09:20:11 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 01:57:08 AMAnd he still gets it wrong. Even in the myth the exiles were not a group of competent soldiers. Aeneas was one of the few soldiers that escaped, they were just a bunch of refugees. And Aeneas founded Lavinium, not Rome.

It's a telling error. Musk's explanation for the historical achievements of the Roman Empire is that the Romans must descend from a master race of super soldiers.

... who are most remembered for losing a war. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2023, 09:20:11 AM

Alba Longa was descended from the Trojans. The only Roman descended from the Trojans was Romulus himself, and he had no children IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I wonder how long until he invents Adam and Eve.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Just sayin'. Humans had to start somewhere. There must have once been two of them. And they must have had a lot of kids. Shows this to be the optimum natural behaviour.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2023, 09:57:59 AM... who are most remembered for losing a war. :P

Because of trickery

IT WAS RIGGED
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

He hasn't even watched Troy :lol: (I have a classicist friend who is obsessed with that moment in the movie and maybe the thought they were thinking of doing a Trojan cinematic universe if Troy had been...good...)
Let's bomb Russia!