News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Guardian reporting that Musk announced Twitter will be instituting a monthly fee for all users.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2023, 05:00:38 AMGuardian reporting that Musk announced Twitter will be instituting a monthly fee for all users.
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Well I guess he's looking for a tax write off at this point?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2023, 05:00:38 AMGuardian reporting that Musk announced Twitter will be instituting a monthly fee for all users.

He should try to make the fee retroactive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2023, 07:03:03 AMWell I guess he's looking for a tax write off at this point?

He is probably feeling pressure from his Saudi backers as they see their money evaporate.

Syt

Every time someone has a Tweet (Xeet?) on screen it's a "view" regardless of interaction or just scrolling past, including multiple views by the same user. And with the API restrictions probably a lot of scraping scripts? :hmm:

It's like counting newspaper views by how often I walk by a news stand.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zoupa

Grifters are gonna grift. HE'S A GENIUS CAN WE GET 50 MORE OF HIM PLEASE!@!!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 26, 2023, 01:12:25 AMEvery time someone has a Tweet (Xeet?) on screen it's a "view" regardless of interaction or just scrolling past, including multiple views by the same user. And with the API restrictions probably a lot of scraping scripts? :hmm:

It's like counting newspaper views by how often I walk by a news stand.
That's the problem with measuring media impact online in a nutshell :lol: Everyone tries to work out what is a meaningful click from a media perspective - for social media it's normally a scroll. And the honest answer is it's really difficult to work out. There is no agreed metric. I know some look at time spent on the page - but again that doesn't account for the length and complexity of the article.

You can identify some bots because they declare themselves or because their behaviour is obvious. But it is not easy and there are an awful lot who are not declared but scraping (in media the default paranoid assumption is that is someone hoovering up our content to build AI models). And some bots are actually a legitimate view from a social media perspective - for example, if you post a Tweet to another social media platform that social media platform will scrape Twitter's site to display a thumbnail. Given the way Twitter works especially that is often enough to read the Tweet, there is no need to click in the way there normally is with, say, an article or an Instagram post.

For what it's worth the internet equivalent of newspaper circulation figures is largely based on views and clicks - at the minute the best we can do is supplement that with surveys and market research. I think it does capture something and is a really important additional bit of context with viewership and circulation figures. But it is really imperfect and there is an irony that arguably the media that allows us to collect the most data is actually the one that we have least information about.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

It explains much about Musk  - he treats myth as being factual.

Syt

What I find more telling is his framing this as his idea, or at the very least not making any references to this being an old story.

It ties in with how he often finds a meme, likes it, and then shares it without crediting the person he took it from. Now, that happens all the time on social media, but for some reason it feels a bit extra petty from him (esp. on a platform where you can easily share someone else's posts).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

He seems to be claiming one of the most well-known Roman myths as an independent discovery, which is quite bizarre.

And he still gets it wrong. Even in the myth the exiles were not a group of competent soldiers. Aeneas was one of the few soldiers that escaped, they were just a bunch of refugees. And Aeneas founded Lavinium, not Rome.

Edit: preempted by the presumptive king of languish. :sleep:

Hamilcar

He's making a strong case for liberal arts education.

Maladict

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 29, 2023, 02:04:28 AMHe's making a strong case for liberal arts education.

Or a proper history/archaeology education. Rome had already been founded by the time the Trojan war is supposed to have happened.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2023, 02:12:41 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 29, 2023, 02:04:28 AMHe's making a strong case for liberal arts education.

Or a proper history/archaeology education. Rome had already been founded by the time the Trojan war is supposed to have happened.

Aren't those liberal arts? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.