News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Users who are not paying for Blue are now limited to reading 600 tweets per day. I've deleted the app.

Syt

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 01, 2023, 02:47:52 PMUsers who are not paying for Blue are now limited to reading 600 tweets per day.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hamilcar

It's pure product suicide. Does Elon hate Twitter this much?

HVC

I'm sure there's a BingTM alternative :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

I can't wait for a stable, moderated version from Microsoft, Meta or Google.

Hamilcar

So apparently the problem is that Elon decide to just not pay his GCP bill.

Syt

Saw this comment. Tech talkers, does this make sense? :unsure:

QuoteWhen Elon Musk announced the price changes for Twitter APIs, people predicted that this exact situation would happen.

Free Twitter APIs were introduced to reduce scraping. People want to know what's going on twitter no matter what and they will scrape the site if they have to. If you give them free APIs, you can reduce the network traffic, lighten the load, and you have better control of everything.

So he put prices that made the APIs unusable. People went back to scraping. Load is higher and extreme measures have to be taken. Exactly as predicted.

Does scraping vs. using API really make so much of a difference?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Hamilcar

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2023, 03:00:18 PMSaw this comment. Tech talkers, does this make sense? :unsure:

QuoteWhen Elon Musk announced the price changes for Twitter APIs, people predicted that this exact situation would happen.

Free Twitter APIs were introduced to reduce scraping. People want to know what's going on twitter no matter what and they will scrape the site if they have to. If you give them free APIs, you can reduce the network traffic, lighten the load, and you have better control of everything.

So he put prices that made the APIs unusable. People went back to scraping. Load is higher and extreme measures have to be taken. Exactly as predicted.

Does scraping vs. using API really make so much of a difference?

No he literally refused to pay is Google Cloud Platform Bill and Google throttled/cut him off. He is BSing.

Josquius

I guess? Loading every element of pages vs just some data trimmed of everything superfluous.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Could Google throw up a "Twitter hasn't paid its bills" page, because that would be hilarious.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 01, 2023, 02:47:52 PMUsers who are not paying for Blue are now limited to reading 600 tweets per day. I've deleted the app.

For real?  :wacko:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2023, 03:00:18 PMDoes scraping vs. using API really make so much of a difference?
It depends. Again it's not a social media platform but from a media publishing perspective - scraping v API has a technical impact (and cost). Also bluntly you don't really know what companies that are scraping your site are necessarily doing (you can't identify all of them) or how they're using that data. An API would massively help mitigate it.

The industry is quite keen to move to that model but it would kill off some businesses ("ad safety" vendors especially) and also basically restrict and introduce a cost to other companies who can currently do what they want for free (Oracle, Google etc). But that's because the people actually hosting the site are bearing the cost.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2023, 03:19:47 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2023, 03:00:18 PMDoes scraping vs. using API really make so much of a difference?
It depends. Again it's not a social media platform but from a media publishing perspective - scraping v API has a technical impact (and cost). Also bluntly you don't really know what companies that are scraping your site are necessarily doing (you can't identify all of them) or how they're using that data. An API would massively help mitigate it.

The industry is quite keen to move to that model but it would kill off some businesses ("ad safety" vendors especially) and also basically restrict and introduce a cost to other companies who can currently do what they want for free (Oracle, Google etc). But that's because the people actually hosting the site are bearing the cost.

Thanks for the explanation. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://sfba.social/@sysop408/110639435788921057

QuoteThis is hilarious. It appears that Twitter is DDOSing itself.

The Twitter home feed's been down for most of this morning. Even though nothing loads, the Twitter website never stops trying and trying.

In the first video, notice the error message that I'm being rate limited. Then notice the jiggling scrollbar on the right.

The second video shows why it's jiggling. Twitter is firing off about 10 requests a second to itself to try and fetch content that never arrives because Elon's latest genius innovation is to block people from being able to read Twitter without logging in.

This likely created some hellish conditions that the engineers never envisioned and so we get this comedy of errors resulting in the most epic of self-owns, the self-DDOS.

Unbelievable. It's amateur hour.

#TwitterDown #MastodonMigration #DDOS #TwitterFail #SelfDDOS

QuoteLest anyone doubt that Twitter was idiotic enough to release code that would cause a race condition and result in its own users executing a DDOS attack on it, here's the network console readout from Firefox showing all the network requests blasting away.

Of course I immediately closed out my connection because I'm a good person. Oh, but it's the weekend and Evil Sheldon is in control so I kept the party going for a while since Twitter insisted on it.

#TwitterDown #Twitter #MastodonMigration #DDOS #TwitterFail #SelfDDOS

(images at link)
—Stephen Jay Gould