And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

D'Nesh DSouzu is just a troll.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 03:06:43 AMD'Nesh DSouzu is just a troll.

Yep. No need to engage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2023, 02:15:52 AMWhat's the turning point from European settlers to European immigrants?
Popery?
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2023, 02:15:52 AMWhat's the turning point from European settlers to European immigrants?

Mythology.

crazy canuck

Racism

DGuller

I think there can be a clear delineation.  Settlers go into wilderness to establish organized society, immigrants join the established society.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2023, 12:19:11 PMI think there can be a clear delineation.  Settlers go into wilderness to establish organized society, immigrants join the established society.

What do you define as wilderness?

What settlers go into winderness to establish an organized society?  My ancestors came to Canada to take up an offer to "settle" on land to set up family farms.  None of my ancestors cared one wit about creating  an organized society.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2023, 01:21:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2023, 12:19:11 PMI think there can be a clear delineation.  Settlers go into wilderness to establish organized society, immigrants join the established society.

What do you define as wilderness?

What settlers go into winderness to establish an organized society?  My ancestors came to Canada to take up an offer to "settle" on land to set up family farms.  None of my ancestors cared one wit about creating  an organized society.
Creating, no, but joining, most likely yes?

Creating an organized society was for the early settlers of the 17th century.  There was no society* when Champlain came here with his first settlers.  Same for the first British down south, and the Dutch.

Once we had a few cities established, creating farms further away was simply a matter of joining the society, not recreating a new one, imho.

*As defined by Europeans.  Obviously, First Nations had their own societies, distinct from what Europeans would create.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Indeed, what are the spaces that were wilderness?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

To our Europeans ancestors, I'd say anywhere where Europeans are not. If you are the first white to show up you are settling wilderness.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2023, 01:49:20 PMTo our Europeans ancestors, I'd say anywhere where Europeans are not. If you are the first white to show up you are settling wilderness.

My ancestors "settled" on land (wilderness?) that was not yet occupied by a European.  That was in the early 1900s. Hardly fits the definition DG provided.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2023, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2023, 01:49:20 PMTo our Europeans ancestors, I'd say anywhere where Europeans are not. If you are the first white to show up you are settling wilderness.

My ancestors "settled" on land (wilderness?) that was not yet occupied by a European.  That was in the early 1900s. Hardly fits the definition DG provided.

I think it does. Your ancestors, like mine, were extending civilized society.*

*From their own colonialist perspective, obviously.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I think the key function of settlers in the North American context was to perform ethnic cleansing. The "wilderness" is a post-fact rationalization.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2023, 04:11:27 PMI think the key function of settlers in the North American context was to perform ethnic cleansing. The "wilderness" is a post-fact rationalization.

The author of 1492 made the claim that when western settlers arrived large portions of North America were uninhabited because of diseases.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 04:30:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2023, 04:11:27 PMI think the key function of settlers in the North American context was to perform ethnic cleansing. The "wilderness" is a post-fact rationalization.

The author of 1492 made the claim that when western settlers arrived large portions of North America were uninhabited because of diseases.

But they also didn't mind "uninhabiting" areas that still had populations.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.