Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2023, 03:41:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2023, 02:55:33 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 13, 2023, 02:03:05 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 13, 2023, 02:01:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2023, 01:44:40 PMSeems a bit of a misstep in his quest. He'll have to outcompete both Uber and PayPal?

Or alternately convince them to collaborate based on his vision and leadership track record.

How is PayPal managing to keep going these days anyway?
Given the ease of direct bank transfers in the 21st century so much of its previous necessity seems to have gone, and this is a field with a lot of stuff going on that looks destined to further eat into it.

Crime.

The USP of all these online payment systems (and cryptocurrencies) is crime.

Lol no. That's cryptos field now I am fairly certain.

PayPal is good for not having to provide your credit card details for every random website you order from. It's for security, not crime. Even for trustworthy sites I find it better to use PayPal instead of saving my card details with the site or my browser, or Hod forbid having to type it in every time.

Yeah, that's my use case too. I find myself using Paypal quite often for both safety and comfort.

Same. I also think added layer of protection for potential disputes as if they don't solve can always then tackle with my credit card company.

PayPal did help me when I paid an online merchant who never sent the items.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2023, 02:55:33 AMPayPal is good for not having to provide your credit card details for every random website you order from. It's for security, not crime. Even for trustworthy sites I find it better to use PayPal instead of saving my card details with the site or my browser, or Hod forbid having to type it in every time.

That, and I've been using it for subscriptions to some sites. I used to sub to NYT at some point, and the cancelation process at the time was quite opaque and wanted you to jump through a silly amount of hoops. If I run PayPal as payment method on those I can just cancel the auto-payment for the site I want to cancel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Barrister

Musk is entirely tiresome.  Wholeheartedly agree.

But CBC is overly precious at times as well.  It is heavily funded by the government.  I agree it's an arms-length agency that reports to Parliament, but Parliament also appoints both the CBC's board of directors but also the CBC President.  Heck we've had two Governor Generals appointed out of CBC (Adrienne Clarkson and Michaelle Jean).

There's nothing to suggest that the PM is calling up the CBC to kill stories.  Everyone involved has more integrity than that.  But to think that the level of control the government has over the CBC doesn't influence what stories they cover, or to what degree, is I think naive.

I mean I don't really care whether the CBC's Twitter profile says "government funded" or not.  I mean I know its government funded.  Heck if you want to get technical a lot of Canadian media is government funded - most legacy newspapers are subsidized through the Canadian Periodical Fund.  But how is it an attack on anyone's editorial independence to point that out?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

But does the CBC insert "69 hur hur" stuff?

garbon

BB is smarter than he plays on TV.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2023, 12:45:03 PMBut does the CBC insert "69 hur hur" stuff?

No they do not.  I mean that's the really tiresome part, isn't it.

By the way I see that our opposition leader Pierre Poilievre is posting replies to Musk and again calling for the CBC to be "defunded".  Pierre I really think that message is a net loser.  Enough people like the CBC, plus it does have a role in providing news and information to remote communities that nobody else can do (plus "defund" is terrible messaging) that he should reconsider.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Google translateSveriges Radio [Swedish state-funded radio] stops being active on Twitter. The reason stated is that fewer and fewer Swedes are on Twitter, according to Sveriges Radio's blog.

"The public has simply chosen other places to be. And therefore Sveriges Radio is now choosing to deactivate or delete the last remaining accounts".

SR also comments that the Ekot [news show] account has recently been labeled by Twitter as "Publicly funded media". Something which, according to the radio, is not an oddity, but is "a correct description of how Sveriges Radio is financed". The Ekot account will remain even if will not be active.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2023, 12:38:08 PMMusk is entirely tiresome.  Wholeheartedly agree.

But CBC is overly precious at times as well.  It is heavily funded by the government.  I agree it's an arms-length agency that reports to Parliament, but Parliament also appoints both the CBC's board of directors but also the CBC President.  Heck we've had two Governor Generals appointed out of CBC (Adrienne Clarkson and Michaelle Jean).

There's nothing to suggest that the PM is calling up the CBC to kill stories.  Everyone involved has more integrity than that.  But to think that the level of control the government has over the CBC doesn't influence what stories they cover, or to what degree, is I think naive.

I mean I don't really care whether the CBC's Twitter profile says "government funded" or not.  I mean I know its government funded.  Heck if you want to get technical a lot of Canadian media is government funded - most legacy newspapers are subsidized through the Canadian Periodical Fund.  But how is it an attack on anyone's editorial independence to point that out?

You are becoming one with PP.

How is it an attack you ask?  Well you yourself did the attacking in your post.  Naive to suggest that the CBC reporting is independent you say?  Stop with your right wing conspiracy bullshit please.

Grey Fox

The Federal government can't even pay it's employees. I don't think it can assert any kind of control over the CBC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2023, 01:40:13 PMThe Federal government can't even pay it's employees. I don't think it can assert any kind of control over the CBC.

:D