News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 06:12:32 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 09, 2023, 05:59:37 PMThat isn't what we are talking about though. We are talking about sharing someone's address and hinting that it'd be good to commit violence against them.

Gotcha. 

Does the new Elon Twitter allow that?

That's what they're being sued for allowing. So apparently, yes.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2023, 06:10:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2023, 05:33:26 PMThere is no law against saying Covid is fake or that drinking pool cleaner will cure you of this fake disease.

Are there laws about doxxing people and accusing them of something, leading to their assassination shortly thereafter?

Good question.  Are there laws against doxxing?  Are there laws against accusing people of things?  Incitement to violence is certainly against the law in many/most/all jurisdictions, but that requires more than just accusing people of something.

I don't know for sure what the law says about that even in my own locality, let alone elsewhere.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Elon Musk, Boss of the year.

QuoteElon Musk's reach on Twitter is dropping — he just fired a top engineer over it

For weeks now, Elon Musk has been preoccupied with worries about how many people are seeing his tweets. Last week, the Twitter CEO took his Twitter account private for a day to test whether that might boost the size of his audience. The move came after several prominent right-wing accounts that Musk interacts with complained that recent changes to Twitter had reduced their reach.

On Tuesday, Musk gathered a group of engineers and advisors into a room at Twitter's headquarters looking for answers. Why are his engagement numbers tanking?

"This is ridiculous," he said, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the meeting. "I have more than 100 million followers, and I'm only getting tens of thousands of impressions."

One of the company's two remaining principal engineers offered a possible explanation for Musk's declining reach: just under a year after the Tesla CEO made his surprise offer to buy Twitter for $44 billion, public interest in his antics is waning.

Employees showed Musk internal data regarding engagement with his account along with a Google Trends chart. Last April, they told him, Musk was at "peak" popularity in search rankings, indicated by a score of "100." Today, he's at a score of nine. Engineers had previously investigated whether Musk's reach had somehow been artificially restricted but found no evidence that the algorithm was biased against him.

Musk did not take the news well.

"You're fired, you're fired," Musk told the engineer. (Platformer is withholding the engineer's name in light of the harassment Musk has directed at former Twitter employees.)

Dissatisfied with the work of engineers so far, Musk has instructed employees to track how many times each of his tweets are recommended, according to one current worker.

Jacob

Not only is Musk a douche, he's also a prat.

grumbler

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.  I am waiting to hear how Musk killed his father and married his mother, not knowing who Musk actually is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on February 09, 2023, 06:23:08 PMElon Musk, Boss of the year.

QuoteElon Musk's reach on Twitter is dropping — he just fired a top engineer over it

.....snip.....

Dissatisfied with the work of engineers so far, Musk has instructed employees to track how many times each of his tweets are recommended, according to one current worker.

So he shares Trump's obsession with ratings; I wonder what other characteristics they have in common?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Is there a way to fast-track past the mad stage?  I'm all for prolonging the torture as a general concept, but in this case too many innocents are along for the ride.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on February 09, 2023, 06:46:20 PMIs there a way to fast-track past the mad stage?  I'm all for prolonging the torture as a general concept, but in this case too many innocents are along for the ride.

Straight to the bullet in the bunker.  Why wait?

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Musk is probably more "isolated in a Vegas hotel" mad than "isolated in a Fuhrer bunker" mad.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Kind of an ironic first post there. Who the hell is ria.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

It's getting super-annoying that Elon is now apparently super-boosting his own tweets so everyone can see them.

More so because his tweets are invariably so inane.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2023, 04:55:53 PMIt's getting super-annoying that Elon is now apparently super-boosting his own tweets so everyone can see them.

More so because his tweets are invariably so inane.

I guess he paid $44 billion to turn Twitter into his personal captive audience.

The Larch

So Elon is jealous that the president of the US gets more attention than him? That's a high hurdle...

QuoteElon Musk reportedly forced Twitter algorithm to boost his tweets after Super Bowl flop
A tweet from Joe Biden got triple the impressions than Musk's game time post, sending engineers scrambling to boost their boss

Twitter chief executive Elon Musk rallied a team of roughly 80 engineers to reconfigure the platform's algorithm so his tweets would be more widely viewed, tech news site Platformer has reported.

A disgruntled Musk called for an emergency effort after a tweet he sent during Sunday's Super Bowl game failed to achieve as much engagement as a tweet from Joe Biden, interviews and internal documents reviewed by Platformer have revealed.

The effort was sparked when a tweet from the president, who has 37m followers, generated nearly 29m impressions while a similar tweet from Musk – who has 128m followers – generated little more than 9.1m impressions.

A Twitter employee and cousin of Elon Musk, James Musk, posted urgently in the company Slack at 2.30am the following Monday morning, asking all employees who can code to participate. "Any people who can make dashboards and write software please can you help solve this problem," he wrote. "This is high urgency."

Engineers then deployed a new algorithm that artificially inflated Musk's tweets by a factor of 1,000, ensuring that more than 90% of Musk's 128.9m followers see them. Many who do not follow Musk are also being served his tweets in their feed through the "For you" tab of the app's home page, which curates tweets from a number of accounts, including those a user is not following.

Musk seemed to publicly confirm the move, in his own way, posting a meme about forcing followers to read his tweets. He also told followers to "stay tuned" while Twitter makes adjustments to the algorithm.

The decision to devote internal resources to promoting his own tweets comes amid ongoing reports about Musk's obsession with his own impressions on the platform. Last week, a report from Platformer also revealed Musk had fired a principal engineer at Twitter who told him views on his tweets had decreased organically, with interest in the erratic CEO waning. Users have complained since Twitter made its "For you" page the default feed on the platform in January that Musk's tweets were appearing more frequently.

Musk, who purchased Twitter in October 2022 for $44bn, has made a number of additional changes to the platform in the intervening months, allowing the return of previously banned accounts like that of Donald Trump, changing the process for Twitter verification, and revoking free access to the platform's API, or application programming interface.

Amid ongoing criticisms of his decisions as chief executive, Musk has promised to step down and find a replacement as soon as later this year. Current employees have described a harrowing environment at the company, which laid off nearly half its workforce in November 2022. At the time, Musk defended the cuts and other cost-cutting measures, stating the company was losing $4m per day.

Zanza

:lmfao: He is the very definition of a narcissist.