News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2022, 06:36:16 PMSo are there any protections for minority shareholders, or are the "1 cent takeover" risks factored into the price of minority positions?

The management of the company has a legal responsibility to act for the benefit of the shareholders.  They cannot act in their own best interests first, else they will have their asses sued off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2022, 08:01:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2022, 06:36:16 PMSo are there any protections for minority shareholders, or are the "1 cent takeover" risks factored into the price of minority positions?

The management of the company has a legal responsibility to act for the benefit of the shareholders.  They cannot act in their own best interests first, else they will have their asses sued off.
The management is not acting in their own best interests, they are in fact acting in the best interest of 51% of the shareholders.  They better be.  :ph34r:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2022, 08:19:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2022, 08:01:49 PM

The management is not acting in their own best interests, they are in fact acting in the best interest of 51% of the shareholders.  They better be.  :ph34r:

How could selling the company at $0.01 per share be in the interests of any of the shareholders?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Minority shareholders who think that their shares are being sold for less than they are worth have a statutory right (in the US, anyway) to ask a court to conduct an appraisal review.  The court can then force the buying entity to pay fair market value for those shares.

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

To clarify—if a company's value is reasonably agreed to be in the range (say a large range) of $15-30 a share, a single shareholder and CEO with 51% of the voting shares cannot legally liquidate the company at $0.01 a share.

They have a lot of discretion and leeway, but not to such a crazy degree. The officers of a company have a legally binding fiduciary interest to 100% of the shareholders, having 51% of the votes is not (in the USA anyway) a way to legally steal the entire investment in the company by minority owners.

If this was legal no one but fools would throw money in as minority investors in closely held firms.

As grumbler said a management team attempting such a heist would face a tidal wave of legal problems.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2022, 08:27:03 PMHow could selling the company at $0.01 per share be in the interests of any of the shareholders?
I own 51% of the venture being sold, and 100% of the company that is acquiring that venture.  I get to go from owning 51% of the venture to owning 100% of it (via a fully-owned subsidiary) for a nominal expense.  I'm the shareholder, and my interests seem to be doing just fine.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2022, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2022, 08:27:03 PMHow could selling the company at $0.01 per share be in the interests of any of the shareholders?
I own 51% of the venture being sold, and 100% of the company that is acquiring that venture.  I get to go from owning 51% of the venture to owning 100% of it (via a fully-owned subsidiary) for a nominal expense.  I'm the shareholder, and my interests seem to be doing just fine.

Again—not how it works. The minority shareholders have a right to have their fiduciary interests protected.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm as far from (any kind) of lawyer as it gets--but even moreso for corporate law, but my understanding is the broad rules are that:

- Controllers in companies, when their actions are ones they have an "interest" in, the law is going to put restrictions on what actions they can take and how they take them. Determining controller status and whether someone has an interest is complex in some scenarios--particularly where a controller is a minority shareholder--there have been legal cases involving both Larry Ellison (Oracle) and Musk (Tesla) in which it was asserted they were effectively controllers of their companies despite not owning anywhere near 51% of voting shares.

- When something must be decided involving interested and disinterested stockholders, i.e. a merger spearheaded by an interested stockholder who is also the controller, the courts are going to want to protect the rights and standing of the disinterested stockholders. I believe typical things that must be done are things like convening a committee representing only the disinterested stockholders and receiving their affirmative vote to move forward--this would stop cold the meme of a 51% controller being able to sell his company at $0.01 a share to a third entity he also controls.

- The courts also allow for actions to stop "oppressive actions" which is a legal term of art by the controller against minority shareholders. Oppressive actions can be things like freezing minority shareholders out of corporate records to which they are entitled to audit etc etc.

- The courts apply something called an "Entire Fairness Test" to some of these matters, that require analyzing whether an action is "Fair Dealing" and whether a transaction is a "Fair Price"

All of this gets complicated and varies from place to place based on where an entity is incorporated and the specifics, and I only understand the vague outlines, but the TLDR is you can't just fuck over minority shareholders and wipe out their entire stake in the company at a $0.01 valuation in most cases, no matter how many voting shares you own.

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 19, 2022, 09:16:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2022, 09:02:10 PM

Again—not how it works. The minority shareholders have a right to have their fiduciary interests protected.
I know that's not how it works.  I brought up this extreme hypothetical to make a point that just because non-Musk investors on aggregate are minority shareholders doesn't mean that Musk has a cart-blanche to trash Twitter however he sees fit.

The Brain

I recently ordered some stuff from Swedish company Elon which sells appliances and stuff. I got a text from the parcel delivery company that informed me "Elon is packing your items". How the mighty have fallen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Or he really likes you, and you're in for a surprise.

The Brain

I've now received it and my shares didn't implode. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Maybe this is a Canadian-only thing, but I could have sworn that when there's a controlling shareholder, there's a requirement that there needs to be a "majority of the minority" vote in favour.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Just checking in: Is Elon Musk still a douche?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien