News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Given the wide reporting it the twitter resignation poll, integrated in BBC news et al, I suspect Musk plans to do this and is looking to legitimise it in a way where he can claim to be a good fair guy who was ousted by outsiders?
I guess he will get some data on which accounts vote which way.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2022, 02:42:32 AMCalling Tesla a pump and dump is silly.

Stoke and broke?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Well, there's a lovely couple, at the World Cup final:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2022, 04:31:39 AMWell, there's a lovely couple, at the World Cup final:

It's like they don't understand at all what's happening.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on December 19, 2022, 01:50:35 AMI think the Saudis yanked the chain and Elon will be out as CEO of Twitter soon. He's currently running, and losing, a poll where he asked if he should resign as CEO of Twitter. I think it's all a cover for what he's being forced to do anyway. Maybe he'll be out at Tesla, too, if their stock price continues its freefall. I'd love for this ego trip to land him in the poorhouse. He most definitely is deserving.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-no-working-ceo-stock-225039462.html

Quote[...]
On Wednesday, Leo Koguan, one of Tesla's largest individual shareholders, called for a leadership change, tweeting: "Elon abandoned Tesla and Tesla has no working CEO. Tesla needs and deserves to have working full time CEO."
Leo said someone more focused on the operational side of the company, similar to Tim Cook at Apple, should take over the company. Cook became Apple CEO after the death of co-founder Steve Jobs, who like Musk was strong on the visionary side.
"Elon is a mere hired hands," Leo added. "He is our employee...Elon was the proud father, Tesla has grown up. An executioner, Tim Cook-like is needed, not Elon."
Tesla investor frustration
Leo's comments were in sharp contrast to ones he himself offered in January, when he tweeted, "Tesla bulls, the future rainbow are here and now. Smile to your fortunate self."
At that time, Tesla had a market cap of $1.2 trillion and ranked among the world's most valuable companies. On Wednesday, its market cap dropped below $500 billion for the first time since Nov. 23, 2020.
"For investors, the clock has struck 12. Frustration has massively built, and Musk appears to be doubling-down, not backing away," Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives told CBS MoneyWatch.
Ives believes Musk overpaid for Twitter by about $20 billion and needed to tap into his Tesla shares to pay for the acquisition.
"One of investors' bigger concerns is that Musk is using Tesla as an ATM machine," Ives said. "That has been a massive overhang on Tesla's stock."
Another concern is that Musk's perceived lean toward far-right beliefs on Twitter could translate to left-leaning car buyers avoiding Teslas. They'll certainly have more options, with more automakers piling into the EV space. S&P Global Mobility recently predicted that Tesla's market share in the U.S. will drop from 65% this year to below 20% by 2025.
Gary Black, managing partner of the Future Fund and a Tesla shareholder, tweeted on Wednesday about Musk: "He will realize soon (if not already) that his polarizing political views are hurting customer perceptions of $TSLA EVs. Customers don't want their cars to be controversial. They want to be proud as hell to drive them — not embarrassed."
[...]

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

I don't think it is a controversial statement to say that:

1) Tesla valuations got quite frothy over the past 2 years
2) Musk happened to sell TSLA stock at those high valuations
3) TSLA stock has declined significantly as the Musk-Twitter drama has played out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2022, 12:04:59 PMI don't think it is a controversial statement to say that:

3) TSLA stock has declined significantly as the Musk-Twitter drama has played out.

I don't think that controversial at all.

I think what Yi was objecting to was a notion that this was all done deliberately by Musk to have that effect.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2022, 11:52:15 AMDid anyone vote in the poll?

No. I am not an enabler for attention whoring.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2022, 12:04:59 PMI don't think it is a controversial statement to say that:

The frothiness of Tesla is debateable.  Pre tightening bear market (I think it was before the most recent split) I saw an analyst on MSNBC talk about his firm's valuation of Tesla at $930 a share based on sales projections of X.  I did the math on that came up with IIRC a PE of 24.

But my main objection to pump and dump is that it requires a malicious actor to "talk up" the share price based on false information.  That is the missing element.

Now I concede the one time way way way back when Elon tweeted about the "firm offer to take Tesla private at such and such price" does fit the definition of talking up the price based false information.  But to take an action 10 or so years ago and sales of shares in the present as constituting a pump and dump is specious.

Elon is deeply unpopular at the moment.  He may be an awful person.  I oppose making false claims about awful, unpopular people.  I support true statements about everyone.

Valmy

I think the idea that Elon is intentionally tanking the stock of a company he is CEO of is ridiculous. I think he stood to make far more money by having the stock stay high.

Trying to make any logical business sense, either ethical or criminal, out of Musk's erratic behavior is a fools errand because he has been acting like a fool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LnT699vUB0

Live stream titled I'm resigning as CEO of Twitter and then the stream is talking about bitcoin.  At least right now.

Valmy

Bitcoin?  :huh:

Ah well. You had a good run as CEO. Came in and fired everybody for no particular reason and then left.