News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2022, 04:15:53 AMAndor has a pretty diverse cast, including many leading females, and a lesbian couple. Didn't see much backlash from the anti-woke brigade against it, but it may have been too niche.

There was a twitter thread a while ago (around the "Black Little Mermaid" "scandal", or maybe "Black Admiral April" in Star Trek SNW, because on Animated he'd been white) - can't find it anymore. But it tackled the "it's not accurate to the source" complaint that often comes up when adaptations change a character's race to non-white by pointing out a whole list of (white) characters from big franchises that were changed in appearance from their sources without major backlash.

I increasingly suspect where you see a big fasc backlash about diverse casting theres a very good chance this is astroturfed and encouraged by the studio-  it is suspicious that you largely just seem to see this coming around otherwise not very good big budget productions (e.g. Ghostbusters) or those where such backlash fits in well with the show itself (e.g. Shehulk)

Though honestly I've not seen andor yet but SW's recent diversity trend does sadden me a little. Oh sure when you're talking aliens then having a black nazi sort of makes sense, but pro-empire aliens?

QuoteGet woke go broke still seems to trip up entertainment (tv and movies). Whether the shows were just bad and happened to be woke, or if the wokeness was their downfall is up for debate.

But I agree with ads. It's not worth the bad press to be associated with hate and lies. Last thing Walmart wants is an add to pop up along side a tweet proclaiming the virtues of the kkk
I'm not so sure it does trip them up though. All publicity is good publicity and all that- having social media arguing about your film as soon as the trailer is out with the complaint being there's two women kissing or a black guy in charge or whatever it might be, rather than say the special FX looking like shit, is good for promotion.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 24, 2022, 07:44:50 PMAnd now it seems that Musk has moved into "blanket amnesty" for all historical Twitter malcontents.

QuoteMusk had previously said there would be no account reinstatements until a newly announced content moderation council had met. However, the Tesla CEO then said human rights groups "broke the deal" by urging advertisers to halt spending on the platform.

Yes, this will surely attract more advertisers. Surely a very stable genius.

That part is pretty hillarious. At first he was all "A moderation council will be established and that'll be the company body that will take all decisions", then threw a tantrum and now takes decisions via general poll from his own account.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on November 25, 2022, 02:50:30 AM:wacko:

He's reinstating any and everybody. I feel bad for every woman on twitter that will have to face an avalanche of their stalkers and rape-threats makers because fReE SPeeCH!!!1111!

Apparently he draws the line at people who have actively broken the law. Alex Jones was singled out as somebody who wouldn't be reinstated, for instance.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 06:13:31 AMApparently he draws the line at people who have actively broken the law. Alex Jones was singled out as somebody who wouldn't be reinstated, for instance.

Alex Jones lost a civil case.  He's never been convicted of a crime AFAIK.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on November 25, 2022, 02:55:19 AMWhat is the point of the report function if the guys get a blanket amnesty?

Like I got a bunch of accounts of russian tankies banned for denying the Holodomor for example. Now they'll be back. I don't think this very stable genius thought this through. Twitter will turn into 4chan/8chan territory reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaal quick, and then you get zero ad dollars.

Does he not have any advisors/lawyers or something?

I'm curious to see if he'll now do a massive unbanning or will just go to the big names. Let's see if @adolfdidnothingwrong88 starts posting again soon.

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 06:13:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 25, 2022, 02:50:30 AM:wacko:

He's reinstating any and everybody. I feel bad for every woman on twitter that will have to face an avalanche of their stalkers and rape-threats makers because fReE SPeeCH!!!1111!

Apparently he draws the line at people who have actively broken the law. Alex Jones was singled out as somebody who wouldn't be reinstated, for instance.

As I understand it musk is keeping him off not because of the law suits, but because Elon has a dead child and took Jones actions personally. So to recap, free speach is good, unless it makes him feel bad.

But I guess a broken clock can be right in this case of keeping Jones off. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I saw mention that accounts that broke the law or had severe transgressions would not be reactivated? He says they'd be back Monday, but who knows what squirrels draw his attention till then. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2022, 06:18:25 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 06:13:31 AMApparently he draws the line at people who have actively broken the law. Alex Jones was singled out as somebody who wouldn't be reinstated, for instance.

Alex Jones lost a civil case.  He's never been convicted of a crime AFAIK.

Sorry I don't speak legalese. I've only repeated what I've seen reported.

As HVC said, Musk is particulary sensitive to Jones' case because he lost a son himself. Don't know which other free speech luminaries could be affected by this distinction.

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on November 25, 2022, 02:55:19 AMWhat is the point of the report function if the guys get a blanket amnesty?

Like I got a bunch of accounts of russian tankies banned for denying the Holodomor for example. Now they'll be back. I don't think this very stable genius thought this through. Twitter will turn into 4chan/8chan territory reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaal quick, and then you get zero ad dollars.

I sw a recent report that someone was mentioning that he has succumbed to the standard error of the powerful narcissist - he has surrounded himself with yes men and sycophants.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2022, 09:12:03 AM

I sw a recent report that someone was mentioning that he has succumbed to the standard error of the powerful narcissist - he has surrounded himself with yes men and sycophants.

That's correct. :yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

The big thing about the mass "general amnesty" is it is Musk saying he no longer cares at all about advertising revenue. This means if he hopes to eventually have Twitter turning a profit he is going all in on some sort of to be announced subscription scheme.

The complete noncompliance with regulators I think is par for the course. Until I actually see some of these regulatory agencies hit Musk with meaningful sanctions I have doubt they matter. He has been in violation of a lot of things due to statements, marketing practices etc with US regulators and it seems like the worst that ever happens to him are the equivalent of parking ticket level fines (relative to his wealth.)

OttoVonBismarck

I also tend to think the 8chanification of Twitter will result in a lot of disengagement by the mainstream "blue checks" and a lot of more casual users (which will make Twitter not only less valuable to advertisers but shrink the potential user base for any subscription scheme.)

It's easy to say most people will just keep using Twitter as usual, but Twitter has been around since 2006 and has never been the equivalent of 8chan before, there's no way it will maintain its current system of users with such a dramatic change in platform culture.

Berkut

There isn't anything particularly magical about Twitter's tech. It could easily be replaced by another company basically just doing the same thing and calling it something different.

The only reason that doesn't happen previously is that Twitter has the market share and critical mass. If that declines, something else will come along and Twitter will be the next AOL or MySpace.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/25/elon-musk-to-launch-new-blue-gold-and-grey-twitter-ticks

QuoteElon Musk to launch new blue, gold and grey Twitter ticks

New colour-coded categories next week for individuals, government and firms with accounts 'manually authenticated

Let's make things more complicated. :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2022, 09:13:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2022, 09:12:03 AM

That's correct. :yes:
:XD: