News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

What about this bit...

QuoteMusk prefers that Twitter coders fly to San Francisco for the short interviews. "If possible, I would appreciate it if you could fly to SF to be present in person. I will be at Twitter HQ until midnight and then back again tomorrow morning," he wrote in another email.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

So that's by now about 70-80% staff reduction within three weeks. The utter chaos for the remaining employees must be really bad.

garbon

Musk put up a poll on whether Trump should be reinstated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 06, 2022, 11:20:44 AMThe reality is it is an idea that the sum activities of many millions is more deterministic than the decisions of one man.

Hari Seldon has entered the chat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2022, 09:53:10 PMMusk emails remaining Twitter staff to find "anyone who actually writes software"

QuoteAfter laying off half of Twitter's employees and issuing a stay-or-leave ultimatum to the rest, Elon Musk sent an email to the remaining staff today seeking responses from "anyone who actually writes software."

"Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2 pm today. Before doing so, please email a bullet point summary of what your code commands have achieved in the past ~6 months, along with up to 10 screenshots of the most salient lines of code," Musk wrote in the first of three emails reportedly sent around midnight PT Friday.

Musk's emails were published in full by Business Insider and also reported by Fortune, CNBC, and Reuters. His emails requested in-person meetings with coders despite Twitter informing staff that it was closing all office buildings and disabling employee badge access until Monday.

"If you're working remotely, please email the request below nonetheless and I will try to speak [to] you via video. Only those who cannot physically get to Twitter HQ or have a family emergency are excused," Musk wrote in a second email. "These will be short, technical interviews that allow me to better understand the Twitter tech stack."

[...]

He might have started with that...

So after blindly firing like half the people working there, he is letting who remains interview for keeping their job, assuming they can make it to San Francisco in time?

Surely if you can actually code, working at Twitter does not worth this amount of stress and humiliation?

Josquius

Very revently there's been lots of layoffs at other tech companies too.
I'm glad I was made redundant and found a new job a week or so before it all started happening.
As yeah, having twitter on your cv and having a perfectly valid well publicised reason for looking for something new at the moment should make things very easy for them.
It's those without the big names on their cv trying to find a job at the same time I worry for.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2022, 04:15:26 AMSurely if you can actually code, working at Twitter does not worth this amount of stress and humiliation?
This is his genius at work.

Once he is done, he will fire everyone who remains - they are the true low performers, as evidenced by the fact that they didn't leave.

Then he will hire everyone who walked back.

Profit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I wonder how many of those that are left are on H1B visa?  If you lose your job, you have 60 days to find another one or you're gone.  In that situation, you'll probably crawl on your knees to SF to talk to Musk if you have to, until you get another job lined up.  It doesn't seem wise to quit without having another job lined up while a whole bunch of people in your exact situation are already on the job market after layoffs.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2022, 06:20:37 PMStudies on identical twins raised separately still show a strong correlation of IQ with their birth parents.  However, theer are caveats:  first, the number of genes associated with intelligence is very large, and no individual gene appears to be dominant in research to date, and secondly that intellectual achievement (as opposed to just IQ results) is highly correlated with socio-economic status and parental involvement in the child's intellectually-stimulating activities.

Interesting.

I wonder what the correlations are like between other traits - creative talent, emotional intelligence, social aptitude, self discipline etc.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2022, 11:56:42 AMInteresting.

I wonder what the correlations are like between other traits - creative talent, emotional intelligence, social aptitude, self discipline etc.
It would be interesting to know that, but researchers would have to create valid means of testing those traits to find out.

Psychiatry uses a concept call "the Big Five components of personality" which are
  • openness to experience,
  • conscientiousness,
  • extraversion,
  • agreeableness and
  • neuroticism.

According to this report contained in the National Library of Medicine, only openness to experience and neuroticism have significant genetic components (found by comparing twin studies with non-twin studies).

I'd have guessed neuroticism and extraversion.  Openness to experience would have been my guess for the most driven by environment, not the least.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2022, 03:18:49 AMMusk put up a poll on whether Trump should be reinstated.

And "Yes" seems to have won, so Elon has just announced that they're lifting his ban.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2022, 09:56:57 AMI wonder how many of those that are left are on H1B visa?

I'd assume most coders are.

Quote from: Zanza on November 19, 2022, 02:28:14 AMSo that's by now about 70-80% staff reduction within three weeks. The utter chaos for the remaining employees must be really bad.

70-80% overall staff. A large part of those 20-30% are probably doing clerical functions and thus lack the knowhow to cover for those that left.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2022, 02:36:21 AM

Not to mention he bought the damn thing.  If he was being diligent he should of gotten this briefing before the purchase.

Zanza

That does not seem to be the appropriate level of detail for the CEO.