Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on November 15, 2022, 10:27:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2022, 10:08:19 AMMusk, champion of free speach, fires guy for correcting his disinformation on Twitter

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/14/23458247/elon-musk-fires-engineer-correcting-twitter

This is the hero some people want.
I don't think it is....

I mean, I literally do not know anyone who thinks Musk is good for Twitter. I am sure they are out there, but....

I think the best you can spin this is that Twitter sucks, so watching Musk destroy it has some schadenfreude to it....

I've found the whole affair immensely entertaining; it probably is the death of Twitter was having any value at all, which it is debatable the degree to which it had value, but that isn't my problem.

Tamas

What if: the turning of Twitter into 4chan will not mean the death of Twitter, but the 4chan-ification of public discourse?

Oexmelin

Musk is really showing his expertise at digging holes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2022, 04:17:05 PMSomebody should tell Elon that pissing off US senators at this point is not exactly a brilliant move.

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2022, 04:17:05 PMSomebody should tell Elon that pissing off US senators at this point is not exactly a brilliant move.

Regarding Markey's last tweet to Elon...I don't think it is cool for sitting US Senators to threaten people with congressional regulation during a twitter slap fight.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Participating in public arguments with your employees, who know vastly more about the product and service than you do, does not seem to be a good use of time for someone who is supposed to be running multiple multinational corporations.

I think there was an article or interview or something where Musk characterized himself as not a micromanager but a "nanomanager" and that seems true.

Anyway, supposedly Twitter's 2FA for users went down yesterday because Elon made his engineers turn off some services that run in the background. So there's that lol
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 12:17:52 PM

Regarding Markey's last tweet to Elon...I don't think it is cool for sitting US Senators to threaten people with congressional regulation during a twitter slap fight.

Yeah.

OttoVonBismarck

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-15/spacex-said-in-talks-to-raise-capital-above-150-billion-value?srnd=premium

Looks like SpaceX is doing a funding round which would value the company at $150bn. This is about 50% more valuation than Boeing, as a comparison, and continues my amazement at Elon's ability to distort reality to generate investment capital.

Since SpaceX is private, we don't really know their revenue. However, in traditional investing how investors value a company is generally an expression of what they anticipate future revenue to be.

I don't know off hand how big the commercial launch industry is, but I would not be surprised to find out that the total value of the entire global commercial launch industry is less than Boeing's aerospace business (which involves supplying many thousands of airframes for many airlines and militaries around the world.) Note that I'm comparing the total global commercial launch industry to Boeing, SpaceX does not have a monopoly on the global launch industry. Essentially a $150bn valuation is expecting what is certainly a simply impossible multiplier of revenue at SpaceX, just wild.

I take my hats off to it though, convincing rich investors to keep giving you huge amounts of money is not a talent I possess, but it is certainly a handy one to have.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 12:50:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 12:17:52 PM

Yeah.

Cool.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 15, 2022, 01:06:57 PMhttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-15/spacex-said-in-talks-to-raise-capital-above-150-billion-value?srnd=premium

Looks like SpaceX is doing a funding round which would value the company at $150bn. This is about 50% more valuation than Boeing, as a comparison, and continues my amazement at Elon's ability to distort reality to generate investment capital.
(snip)

You'd think that the bubble would burst at some point, but...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 15, 2022, 12:11:33 PMMusk is really showing his expertise at digging holes.
He missed his career path.  He would have made one hell of an infantryman.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2022, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 15, 2022, 12:11:33 PMMusk is really showing his expertise at digging holes.
He missed his career path.  He would have made one hell of an infantryman.

Except that he never stops digging, no matter how deep the hole.

I don't see how those he is seeking as investors don't recognize that he is as flighty as they come.  Why invest in a guy who has a zero attention span?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 15, 2022, 01:06:57 PMhttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-15/spacex-said-in-talks-to-raise-capital-above-150-billion-value?srnd=premium

Since SpaceX is private, we don't really know their revenue. However, in traditional investing how investors value a company is generally an expression of what they anticipate future revenue to be.
We've gone around and round on Musk, but I certainly cannot argue anything you are saying here.

I will note that valuation is not about anticipated future revenue, it is about anticipated future stock value.

It's tulip bulbs all the way down!

There isn't anything magical about Musk here - this is an ongoing thing in tech industries in general. Just look at all the virtual currency mania or the valuation of any number of tech companies compared to "traditional" industries.

I am sure Musk is happy to ride that tiger though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

IIRC, when the whole thing about Musk wanting to buy Twitter started there were some rumours about Musk using the operation as an excuse to capitalize on a chunk of his Tesla shares and turn them into money/other stock, as Tesla was considered to be highly overvalued (wasn't it said that on market value Tesla was worth as much as several other big, traditional car companies put together?) and due for a sharp downwards market adjustment, which would mean that he'd stand to loose a lot of money.

It'd seem that Musk's companies' shares being wildly overvalued is a common thread if he's seeking such a high evaluation for SpaceX.

Berkut

Hehe, yeah, trying to sell of overvalued company shares by buying Twitter at a valuation of $44 fucking billion is rather....dumb.

That is recognizing that the tree you are hiding under is almost soaked through by the rain, and deciding you better go hide under the tree right next to it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned