News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on November 06, 2022, 04:30:05 PMI expect there will be a bit of a premium to rehire folks you just laid off, unless they are desperate.
And all of them will be looking for a new job and will leave asap.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2022, 01:58:56 PMThat are two different things.  No one is denying these accomplishments.

But Musk's supporters since to place him at some kind of super human genius of engineering.  Which I'm less and less convinced he is.

Some Musk supporters are like that, but we've seen groupies like them for all kinds of people.  Musk groupies are no better nor worse than Bernie groupies or Trump groupies or Jobs groupies or any other kind.  Love is blind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

if he does manage to destroy Twitter it'll be his greatest accomplishment to date though...

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm pro shutting up Kathy Griffin, on the other hand showcasing Musk'a duplicitous douchiness appeals to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2022, 06:48:49 AMI'm lying naked on the floor.

Natalie Imbruglia appreciates your patronage ^_^
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

From the Paradox memes subreddit. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Situation for tech companies today doesn't look that great. With interest rates now above 0 tech companies can no longer cover over their negative cash flows with constant "funding". Twitter being profitable would mean 12 coders chained away in a windowless back office somewhere with a small adjacent office of 6 people taking care of the rest. Musk overpaid at least 10 times for it. :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Berkut

What an immense blunder. I wonder if he even realizes it?

Buying Twitter is a stupid, stupid, stupid idea even if it was financially viable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Legbiter

Quote from: Berkut on November 07, 2022, 08:52:21 AMWhat an immense blunder. I wonder if he even realizes it?

Buying Twitter is a stupid, stupid, stupid idea even if it was financially viable.

Considering he tried everything to get out of the deal...

But it's not his problem, those who lent him the money, oh yeah, it's their problem. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on November 06, 2022, 12:25:17 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 06, 2022, 08:14:10 AMTechnologically and even in terms of engineering there is not AFAICT anything innovative in Teslas other than maybe some of their in cabin car software. The battery technology, with minor engineering improvements, is the same lithium ion batteries everyone is using.
I disagree. Tesla was extremely innovative over the last ten years. Their battery management (software, cooling) was ahead of the competition. Also they were the first in having a central computer controlling everything in the car instead of distributed systems like all other car makers, which makes OTA updates for them much better. They even made their own hardware for this central computer, which is rather unusual for a carmaker. This has so far not been emulated by any of the legacy OEMs, maybe by some Chinese startups. They also made interesting design choices, e.g. the minimalist interieur and few choices for the exterior, which allows them to manufacture at a fairly low cost level. Commercially they pioneered having direct sales instead of the more usual dealer network and of course they offered the hyperchargers, a critical differentiating service.

No one said Tesla has done nothing at all. AFAIK every car company in the world innovates new car stuff over 10 year windows.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on November 06, 2022, 01:34:09 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 06, 2022, 11:18:34 AMAnd what do we call your refusal to be honest about Musk's accomplishments--that they are largely accomplishments in attracting investor capital and not in innovating technology?

And what do we cal your refusal to be honest about the accomplishments of pretty much every founder of major companies: that their success are all largely accomplishments in attracting investor capital and not in innovating technology?

No major company was created without investors.

You seem to be reading arguments I never made since this response does not contradict anything I have said. In fact I have said it is genuinely impressive Musk's ability to raise capital. I guess for Musk fans it just never is enough if you aren't fawning, huh?

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2022, 04:33:20 PMWe should definitely bring that up with them if one shows up.

Oh I think you've been here all along.