News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 03, 2022, 02:02:22 PMIt's not exactly wrong is it?

It's correct that most people are willing to pay more for a refreshing hot drink than an intangible check mark.

But I'm not sure if that was the point Musk was trying to make.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 03, 2022, 03:15:09 PMAnyway, I wouldn't be surprised most of the whining would not have existed if musk followed a certain orthodoxy.
I've said before - the thing that worries me about Musk owning Twitter: massive interests in China and his main financial backer is Saudi. Both seem a little concerning for a social media platform. And of course an ironic position for a man proclaiming his intent to buy this platform for the good of the public square and free speech - let's see how that lasts for Chinese, Hong Kong, Saudi etc activists.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Is that the real price for a Starbucks fru fur drink?  :huh:

viper37

84hr work week now the norm at Twitter

So, really, it was overstaffed. :)

QuoteStaff at Twitter have been clocking up much longer hours than usual since Elon Musk took over, CNBC reported. This comes as staff face the looming threat of layoffs amid the tech mogul's planned overhaul of the company.

Twitter managers have told some staff to work 12-hour shifts, seven days a week — equivalent to 84 hours a week — to meet Musk's deadlines, CNBC reported, citing internal communications.

Musk's $44 billion purchase of the social-media platform went through on Thursday evening, but concerns about layoffs at the company have been swirling since well before that. It remains unclear how many staff will be laid off and when, as well as which teams will be most affected.

Since Friday, staff at the company have been set tasks which some see as a test by Musk's team to see who works hard.

Insider previously reported that Musk's team assigned some of Twitter's engineers coding projects to work on over the weekend, known as sprints. Other tasks include making major changes to Twitter's verification service.

Insider previously reported that an internal message was sent to Twitter staff working on changes to the company's verification process telling them that: "The expectation is literally to work 24/7 to get this out."

CNBC reported that staff haven't been told whether they'll get overtime pay, time off in lieu, or job security for working on the assignments.

Staff worry that their careers at Twitter could be over if they don't complete their tasks by the early November deadlines, CNBC reported.

Twitter's managers, meanwhile, have been asked to carry out performance reviews and send Musk's team lists of which employees should be kept on, people familiar with the discussions told Insider.

But the managers themselves are also feeling the strain, with some telling The New York Times that they slept at Twitter's office on Friday and Saturday nights.

Twitter's top managers were pulled into meetings with Musk and his team last week at Twitter's San Francisco headquarters, where they were asked to describe their division's work, two people involved in the meetings told The Times.

Some Twitter managers told the publication that they felt like they were being assessed.

The Washington Post reported that Musk's team plans to cut around a quarter of Twitter's staff in a first round of layoffs, citing a person familiar with discussions that took place at Twitter HQ last week.

Twitter didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment on working hours, staff sleeping at the office, and layoffs.

Musk dissolved Twitter's board of directors, a Monday SEC filing shows, cementing his position as Twitter's sole director.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Musks' shenanigans, but especially the reading/research on how Tesla manages their employees, is why I would never buy a Tesla and went with a competing EV instead.

Jacob

Yeah I ruled out getting a Tesla and put Elon in my idiosyncratic "avoid supporting this guy's business" bucket a while ago. IIRC it was his behaviour around the trapped Thai boys situation that put him on it. Certainly, nothing I've seen sense has caused me to want to reevaluate that decision.

Jacob

In other news, it looks like Twitter is doing massive layoffs tomorrow.

Saw what was supposed to be the email circulated to staff, outlining the process: https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1588327845348093952

If the email is indeed real, I'm also going to take a moment to scoff at an email like that being signed "Twitter" rather than the name of whoever owns the decision - or at the very last, someone who's been delegated the responsibility to communicate it.

HVC

Tesla's build quality is what would keep me away. 20k car QA on a 65+k car. Now that the competition is truly ramping up I think Tesla is in for a world of hurt.  And as much as I loath him as a person his companies home battery/solar tech is intriguing and way ahead of the game.  same with satellite internet.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Teslas are expensive with tons of bells and whistles. They are toys for rich car lovers. Not really my bag baby. I want a more economical EV.

My hope is that all his catering to the fake-libertarian quasi-fascist right wing set will trick them all into supporting EVs and solar tech  :lol:

Certainly a ton of left wing climate change people are now going to buy other EVs and solar tech, which makes this even a more puzzling series of moves. Surely this is his main target market right? Why antagonize them over this nonsense trolling he does?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Occam's razor. He's just not that bright.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2022, 11:59:23 PMTeslas are expensive with tons of bells and whistles. They are toys for rich car lovers. Not really my bag baby. I want a more economical EV.

My hope is that all his catering to the fake-libertarian quasi-fascist right wing set will trick them all into supporting EVs and solar tech  :lol:
?

Less so in real politics but as i have mentioned before in the real world and online I'm definitely spotting this.

They're switching over from climate change isn't real towards Evs as a direct one to one solution for climate change where we just swap out Ice for Evs and problem solved, no need to change anything around urban design or public transport.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Maybe that's Musk's 5D Chess plan. Becoming a darling of the cretin right so they embrace renewable energy to own the libs.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on November 03, 2022, 11:25:40 PMTesla's build quality is what would keep me away. 20k car QA on a 65+k car. Now that the competition is truly ramping up I think Tesla is in for a world of hurt.  And as much as I loath him as a person his companies home battery/solar tech is intriguing and way ahead of the game.  same with satellite internet.

What Tesla did right with EVs (and is frustrating other EVs right now), more than the cars themselves, is put a huge investment into a robust, easy-access charging network.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2022, 01:48:31 AMMaybe that's Musk's 5D Chess plan. Becoming a darling of the cretin right so they embrace renewable energy to own the libs.

I had the same thought too.  Make EV cool for rednecks and he's a climate god.

Threviel

Besides charging network the software in Teslas are (were?) far superior to traditional cars.

Infotainment, maps and usability is just far far better than every other car I've tested. The others are probably catching up, but Tesla had a huge head start.