News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

What can I say, I didn't realize she was Asian until I knew she was Asian.  Maybe I'm just unnaturally oblivious.  I just focused on the joke itself, which was Kyle Larson's poor driving decision. 

I also know that Denny Hamlin is a pretty prolific memer, I recall him posting a video of a car driving into a storefront after another incident (though now that I think of it, it may be ageist).

The Minsky Moment

DG did you listen to the audio?

The comments on the thing I posted are divided between it's stereotypical but not a big deal/get a sense of humor and it's stereotypical but true (so ok?). No one seems to think it isn't a stereotype joke
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2022, 01:27:47 PMThe GOP let itself be captured by the right wing crazies. The Tea Party and such. As such, the composition of the political representation of the "right" reflects to most extreme members of the right.

The left has avoided that, thank god. The left has NOT let the Democratic Party get captured by its most radical elements. This is a good thing, and something we should continue to resist, and part of that involves not kidding ourselves about their existence and desire to do to the Democrats what the Tea Party did to the GOP.

I agree, but this is the exact opposite of what that cartoon implied.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2022, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2022, 01:27:47 PMThe GOP let itself be captured by the right wing crazies. The Tea Party and such. As such, the composition of the political representation of the "right" reflects to most extreme members of the right.

The left has avoided that, thank god. The left has NOT let the Democratic Party get captured by its most radical elements. This is a good thing, and something we should continue to resist, and part of that involves not kidding ourselves about their existence and desire to do to the Democrats what the Tea Party did to the GOP.

It's a cartoon. They aren't exactly nuanced.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2022, 02:42:58 PM

You seemed to miss its point though. :P

DGuller

Actually, never mind, that particular tweet was about Denny Hamlin, not from Denny Hamlin.  The tweet was in response to Denny promising to get Kurt Busch flowers as an apology for a crash he caused.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusch/status/1374142268098117638?s=20&t=-GVyy13yjLruLCsGVHGiwQ

Nevertheless, memeing seems to be a pretty common way for one NASCAR driver to roast another after a wreck, so I was approaching that tweet from that expectation.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2022, 02:44:22 PM

No, I think I exactly got its point, because I didn't start from the presumption that I was trying to interpret its point in the mos negative light possible. 

I find that really does help actual discussion. If you start with the presumption that the person you are trying to communicate with is not some stick figure two dimensional asshole and the goal is to find out how to not understand what they are trying to say.

YMMV, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2022, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2022, 02:44:22 PM

No, I think I exactly got its point, because I didn't start from the presumption that I was trying to interpret its point in the mos negative light possible.

I find that really does help actual discussion. If you start with the presumption that the person you are trying to communicate with is not some stick figure two dimensional asshole and the goal is to find out how to not understand what they are trying to say.

YMMV, of course.

You seemed to focus on its "left went left-way" point, but I think it was equally an important point it tried to make with the "conservative" view point not moving an iota. Which is of course a ridiculous notion, as we have established.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2022, 02:40:50 PMDG did you listen to the audio?

The comments on the thing I posted are divided between it's stereotypical but not a big deal/get a sense of humor and it's stereotypical but true (so ok?). No one seems to think it isn't a stereotype joke
The comments all came after the controversy came out, in fact there wouldn't even be this tweet if the original weren't deleted.  The comments do not represent the contemporaneous interpretation of the meme.  When I watched it the first time, I didn't come to the tweet with expectations already set.  I personally had no idea there was anything Asian about it, that's all I can say, but I concede that the cartoon part would probably be obviously Asian to enough people even without coming to it with biased expectations.

Again, I'm going to stress on the other part.  In order for this to be an Asian driver joke, Kyle Larson has to be viewed as an Asian driver.  He simply isn't viewed that way.  It would be very different with Bubba Wallace, who most definitely is viewed as a black driver, and the fact that he's a black driver would be on the minds of everyone.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on April 29, 2022, 01:37:25 PMThe normalization of "you think that because you're white" argument is another irritant that makes people perceive the influence of extreme left.  Not only is that a horrible argument when it comes to the power of convincing people, but it's also racist.

"You think so because you're white" is annoying, yes, and usually put forward in bad faith (or lack of thinking things through). I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Nor do I see some public person having to take some sensitivity training because they retweeted something racist as being a fucking deal... especially when compared to the radical right agenda of undermining democracy, waging war on truth, and hurting minorities because it makes them feel good to be bullies.

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2022, 02:03:46 PMParticularly when any sane person sees we're literally in the midst of an assault on our democracy fueled massively by right wing propaganda, and a chief concern of yours is...the things right wing propaganda wants you to be concerned about? Nah, fuck that. I'm not letting them set my narrative.

So far you've been 100% on the money in this thread :cheers:

Josquius

I must say again though "You think that because you're white" is the sort of argument I hear more from the right, though they don't say white and rather some variant on liberal metropolitan elite (ABSOLUTELY NOT JEW) or the like.

I'll totally believe there are idiots on the left saying this stuff too, but lets not pretend they're alone or even that they're the main problem.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on April 29, 2022, 02:18:37 PMThe simplest explanation is that they're not powerless idiots now.  They're very powerful on a corporate level.  I'm sure the CEOs golfing in their private clubs are not themselves woke, but they know they may have problems if they don't pay the right kind of lip service.

How does this express itself?

Yeah, CEOs of big corporations (and small ones, for that matter) have to be in favour of inclusivity and diversity, not tolerate sexual harrassment, discrimination, and bullying and things like that... even if they'd prefer not to care. Sometimes, some folks use that to play clever politics, which is annoying and different when the clever politics relied on other tools... is that what you mean? And if so, how is it a big deal?

And if that's not what you mean, what do you mean?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2022, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2022, 01:35:46 PM"Not part of the radical right", but "chooses to spend most of his time crying about the same things they cry about." Mhm.
That is just a fucking lie.

I do no at all spend most of my time, or most of my posting talking about the radical left at all. To the extent that I do spend time on it, it is because I think it is important - incredibly important - that the left stay the adult in the room, seeing as their isn't another option.

I post about a lot of shit, and I think anyone who has paid any attention to my views know exactly where I stand in regards to whether I am "part of the radical right"

So please feel free to go fuck yourself. What an asshole.

You are then unwittingly spouting their lines. Which might even be worse than doing it intentionally.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2022, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 29, 2022, 02:18:37 PMThe simplest explanation is that they're not powerless idiots now.  They're very powerful on a corporate level.  I'm sure the CEOs golfing in their private clubs are not themselves woke, but they know they may have problems if they don't pay the right kind of lip service.

How does this express itself?

Yeah, CEOs of big corporations (and small ones, for that matter) have to be in favour of inclusivity and diversity, not tolerate sexual harrassment, discrimination, and bullying and things like that... even if they'd prefer not to care. Sometimes, some folks use that to play clever politics, which is annoying and different when the clever politics relied on other tools... is that what you mean? And if so, how is it a big deal?

And if that's not what you mean, what do you mean?

I actually hope CEO's are woke.  I know quite a few who are.  Not in the way the right has attacked the meaning of the word.  In the sense the word was intended to be used.  In fact there is a national conference being organized by such people right now to address what the right wing knuckle draggers would call being woke, and the benefits it brings to their businesses.

I know I am a broken record on this, but buying into their rhetoric enables the agenda of the extremists of the right.