News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2022, 02:32:35 PMMore "brilliant" political takes by Musk:

I am not sure I would call it brilliant, but I don't disagree with the basic sentiment as it relates to the cultural left. 

And of course it ignores what the right was doing all that time, but I guess that isn't the point of the cartoon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

The brilliant part was mine, it was ironic.  :P

Just out of curiosity, in which particular issues do you think the "cultural left" has moved since 2008-2012?

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2022, 02:47:25 PMThe brilliant part was mine, it was ironic.  :P

Just out of curiosity, in which particular issues do you think the "cultural left" has moved since 2008-2012?
Abandonment of principles around the value of free expression.

That comic would be more accurate if there was a "center as the right perceives it" and another "center as the left perceives it" with a lot of space between them where most of us live.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2022, 02:47:25 PMThe brilliant part was mine, it was ironic.  :P

Identity politics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

I'm not sure that Musk is making calculated moves, but if someone has a bunch of politically sensitive businesses around scientific exploration and renewable energy that republicans don't give a shit about, and anticipates that the democrats are about to get obliterated in the midterm elections, getting team republican to love you by getting trump back on twitter or something would be really savvy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Good of Musk to confirm that the perception of him is accurate.

The Minsky Moment

Yes Elon you have stood still as a rock and every other single American left of center has moved. 

Way to disprove that you are the exemplar of the self-absorbed billionaire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2022, 02:56:32 PM

that was never there.  They were simply overshadowed by the conservatives.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

My problem is that for years now, apart from the occasional questionable Guardian editorial, my only source of supposed terrible woke far leftism has been reports by the right.

So I suspect this is not as big a deal as the reactionaries are making it out to be.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 06:31:29 PMMy problem is that for years now, apart from the occasional questionable Guardian editorial, my only source of supposed terrible woke far leftism has been reports by the right.

So I suspect this is not as big a deal as the reactionaries are making it out to be.
I think in the UK the vast majority of it is basically in the pages of the Guardian, Independent, left alternative media on one side and the Spectator, Telegraph, tabloids etc on the other.

I'm not really sure how much there are actual arguments about this in the real world - outside, perhaps, political activist circles (on both sides).
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: viper37 on April 28, 2022, 06:07:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2022, 02:56:32 PM

that was never there.  They were simply overshadowed by the conservatives.

Yeah, as usual Berkut's crybaby nonsense about leftist "cancel culture" is hilariously off point. The left have never been free speech diehards. The free speech diehards have always been a small niche faction that tend to straddle both sides of the aisle, but the core conservative and the core liberal base have always been more or less antagonistic to speech that they dislike. This has manifested in many ways for many years, long before Joe Rogan and Sam Harris told Berkut to get upset about it.

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 28, 2022, 10:20:58 PMThis has manifested in many ways for many years,

See: Colin Kapernick. Or - during Bush II - the Dixie Chicks who were canceled by the right and pretty much had their career shut down for a while for criticizing the Iraq War.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The evidence that Kaepernick got cut because he took a knee is not overwhelming.  He had already lost his starting job IIRC, and plenty of guys kept taking the knee after he got cut and continued to play.

The Dixie Chicks got cancelled from country and western stations but kept on playing to indie crowds afterwards.  They showed up in O Brother Where Art Thou after that.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2022, 03:36:34 AMThe evidence that Kaepernick got cut because he took a knee is not overwhelming.  He had already lost his starting job IIRC, and plenty of guys kept taking the knee after he got cut and continued to play.

Kaepernick was a top 20 player his last year of playing, and easily top 10 within the past two years before that.  In a 32 team league that should be a starting job.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2022, 02:32:35 PMMore "brilliant" political takes by Musk:

:bleeding:
Jesus. Its literally the complete opposite of the truth.
The sad thing is you often get fascy types who seeriously believe this.
I checked twitter just to see and thankfully the top reply lays down the facts:

██████
██████
██████