News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So despite Twitter agreeing to sell itself to Musk for $54.20 per share, the current stock price of Twitter is $48.65.  It seems like you could make easy money buying stock today in order to sell to Musk in a few months.

Unless you think the deal doesn't go ahead...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2022, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2022, 01:00:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2022, 12:58:45 PMOK. So you problem is with DG's question asked, not with my answer. Perhaps bring it up with him?

I am not sure how you got that understanding from me pointing out that your answer used the word "objective" improperly.
I was answering a question - can there be an optimistic scenario where there is an objective good from Musk taking over Twitter.

If you define "objective good" as a good that nobody disagrees with, then either your example of good is very vague, like "increase in human knowledge" or "greater justice" in which case it cannot really be answered specifically, or it means something more like "a good that can be measured and most people would agree is a benefit in net evaluation". In that case, it can be answered by reasonable people who are willing to accept that their definition of those things might not always align perfectly, but even so there is a discussion to be had.

Why you find this argument about the "improper" use of the term objective is interesting at all is beyond me. I am confident that everyone, including you, knew exactly what was being discussed. Have a nice day.

You have some serious reading comprehension problems today.  Bye.

Berkut

Well that was fascinating.

But back to DG's original post - it's not like Twitter NOW isn't a total disaster from the standpoint of society and it's role in polarization and the dumbing down of discourse.

There is a perfectly reasonable argument to be made that its bad enough that Musk can't make it that much worse....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2022, 02:05:40 PMSo despite Twitter agreeing to sell itself to Musk for $54.20 per share, the current stock price of Twitter is $48.65.  It seems like you could make easy money buying stock today in order to sell to Musk in a few months.

Unless you think the deal doesn't go ahead...

Merger arb.  Musk has a lot of cash to raise to close.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

That price does seem to imply a non-insignificant probability of the deal falling through, doesn't it?  Am I correct in reasoning that if the normal price of Twitter share, pre-Musk, were $40, and the Musk buyout price is $54, then the price of $49 implies about a 1 in 3 chance of the deal not being completed?

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4yYeh-ygg

Large changes in # of followers after takeover annoucement.

Syt

Posted a Twitter thread about follower changes (left wing down, right wing up) bit further upthread. Saw a comment it might have been a bot realignment?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

What does a bot master get out of being a follower?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2022, 07:49:49 AMWhat does a bot master get out of being a follower?
Payment from the person being followed?

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2022, 07:46:52 AMPosted a Twitter thread about follower changes (left wing down, right wing up) bit further upthread. Saw a comment it might have been a bot realignment?

Ill have to look this up. Seems interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2022, 07:52:59 AMPayment from the person being followed?

OK, but how does that play into Musk taking over and Obama losing 300K followers and MTG gaining 93K?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2022, 08:11:48 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2022, 07:52:59 AMPayment from the person being followed?

OK, but how does that play into Musk taking over and Obama losing 300K followers and MTG gaining 93K?
:hmm: It doesn't.  Maybe some troll accounts follow some real people just to give themselves legit cred?

Jacob

I think it's left-wing folks quitting twitter and right wing folks returning/ signing up based on where they think Twitter is going.

The Larch

More "brilliant" political takes by Musk:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.