News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 25, 2022, 02:14:44 PMElon will unban Trump from Twitter and after some hemming and hawing about social media Donald will make a triumphal comeback tweet:

Quote"I AM BACK, no thanks to all those Losers And Haters!"

Our long national nightmare is going to get worse.

I'd think that the twitter ban is one of hte best things going for the republicans.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 25, 2022, 01:59:27 PMI really can't see where Twitter fits.

The world's most expensive vanity purchase?

OttoVonBismarck

I deactivated my account / deleted Twitter apps the moment the deal was announced. I have zero interest in Parler which is all that I imagine Twitter under Musk will be, nonstop white nationalism and anti-vaxx stuff. I used it solely as a passive account to access news, so guess back to things like RSS and etc instead.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2022, 01:53:58 PMAnd it's announced.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/elon-musk-to-acquire-twitter-301532245.html

Huh. Everyone was certain it was a joke. Damn.

What happened to the poison pill defence they were planning?
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

I have a Twitter account, but I never actually use it. 

It just seems to uniquely designed to concentrate all of the worst elements of social media. Anonymity combined with an intentional format designed to make sure there is little or no nuance or depth to anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2022, 02:53:24 PMI have a Twitter account, but I never actually use it.

It just seems to uniquely designed to concentrate all of the worst elements of social media. Anonymity combined with an intentional format designed to make sure there is little or no nuance or depth to anything.

Yeah, Twitter has always been useless for interacting/discussing (which may be why of all the "major" social media platforms it has never made money, and has a relatively small user base), but after RSS feeds kinda became less common I do think it was a pretty good way, if you curated who you followed, to get breaking news updates. My now-deleted account followed a lot of reputable journalists and news outlets, and a lot of times they would break stuff on Twitter before anywhere else, I'm hoping many of them choose to go elsewhere.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 25, 2022, 02:51:08 PMI deactivated my account / deleted Twitter apps the moment the deal was announced. I have zero interest in Parler which is all that I imagine Twitter under Musk will be, nonstop white nationalism and anti-vaxx stuff. I used it solely as a passive account to access news, so guess back to things like RSS and etc instead.

My social media break started last week when I got a new phone and didn't know my passwords. I think I'll continue with that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on April 25, 2022, 02:52:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2022, 01:53:58 PMAnd it's announced.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/elon-musk-to-acquire-twitter-301532245.html

Huh. Everyone was certain it was a joke. Damn.

What happened to the poison pill defence they were planning?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/25/twitter-elon-musk-buy-takeover-deal-tesla

QuoteTwitter's board at first enacted an anti-takeover measure known as a poison pill that could have made a takeover attempt prohibitively expensive. But its initial reluctance to accept a transaction appeared to fade after Musk confirmed a funding package for the deal and shareholders warmed to it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

let's see what happens first eh.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2022, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 25, 2022, 02:14:44 PMElon will unban Trump from Twitter and after some hemming and hawing about social media Donald will make a triumphal comeback tweet:

Quote"I AM BACK, no thanks to all those Losers And Haters!"

Our long national nightmare is going to get worse.

I'd think that the twitter ban is one of hte best things going for the republicans.

It's the best thing going for anyone who consumes American media.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

I use Twitter a lot. Not for discussion but it's a great place to get news. Especially sporting News. I'll miss it so when Musk ruins it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I've just started using Twitter the way Otto described - basically a month into the current war.

I think I'm going to save my account deletion for when he unbans Trump and his fellow enemies of democracy.

Sheilbh

Practically speaking I'm not sure Musk will actually make much difference to Twitter - I don't fully get the garment-rending online. Trump'll get unbanned but I think that's about it. It's not like Twitter did a mass sweep of the Nazis or anti-vaxx they are still very much there (just ask any female journalist).

I also thnk there's a slight contradiction between people who have (rightly) said that Twitter is a private company and can ban whoever they want, who are now considering its takeover by a weird billionaire (as opposed to Jack and the Saudis) a threat to the public sphere.

I still basically lean to the side that it's a private company that I'll use as long as it provides me with the service I want - and I think it probably will. But I don't massively think the stuff around disinformation/misinformation and the impact of social media is correct.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I personally think the "it's a private company" argument was always a little strained.  I think social media companies are closer to being privately-held utility companies, which puts some responsibilities on them that purely private companies won't have. 

I think the "private company" argument kicked the can down the road on the discussion of limits of tolerance of intolerance.  I personally think that it should've been legal to ban Trump from Twitter even if Twitter were government-owned, and it would be the shortcoming of the First Amendment if it prohibited such an action.  Paradox of tolerance is a thing, and sticking to a principle that rests on a paradox is a punt, not a principled stand.

FunkMonk

I've always used Twitter to connect with people of similar interests. I have a soccer list and an Arsenal FC list  :lol:
As well as a list containing historians and other academics.  :smarty: 

I will continue to use Twitter as long as these folks continue to as well.

I occasionally scroll through my regular feed just to see what the latest outrage is. I use it to get a feel for the current fad or discourse. I also use it for laughs if I'm bored of YT videos or IG or the Discord servers I chat on and I've already done the day's Wordle.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.