News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:23:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.

But what we are talking about here is not in your regular life are bears or men more of a threat.
In that men are the obvious right answer for almost everyone.
It's in a situation where you roll a one and get a rare encounter with a bear vs meeting a random guy.
More of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:45:51 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq5npwdv3wzo

QuoteRussia to hold nuclear drills following 'threats' from West

Russia has started preparations for missile drills near Ukraine simulating the use of tactical nuclear weapons in response to "threats" by Western officials.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said recent statements by French President Emmanuel Macron and the British Foreign Secretary David Cameron constituted a "completely new round of escalation of tension".

Last week, Mr Macron refused to rule out potentially deploying French troops, should Kyiv request them, while Lord Cameron said that Ukraine had the right to use British weapons for strikes within Russia.

On Monday, Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that Lord Cameron's "hostile outburst" contradicted previous British assurances that the long-range missiles sent to Ukraine would not be used on Russian territory and meant that the UK was a "party to the conflict".

The ministry added that the response to Ukrainian strikes using British weapons on Russia could involve targeting any British military facilities and equipment on the territory of Ukraine and beyond.

It also said that Mr Macron's statement on possible deployment of French troops to Ukraine could be considered as "readiness for direct confrontation with Russia".

Both the British and the French ambassadors in Moscow were summoned on Monday.

The tactical nuclear weapons drills announced on Monday were ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to TASS news agency.

They were expected to take place "in the near future" and would involve missile formations as well as air and naval forces.

Tactical nuclear weapons are small nuclear warheads and delivery systems intended for use on the battlefield, or for a limited strike.

They are designed to destroy enemy targets in a specific area without causing widespread radioactive fallout.

Strategic nuclear weapons, on the other hand, are large and designed to be fired at a long range - for example, between continents. Russia holds regular drills with strategic nuclear weapons.

In April, Belarus's long-time leader Alexander Lukashenko said "several dozen" tactical nuclear weapons were stationed in his country.

A Ukrainian military intelligence spokesman dismissed the announcement that drills would take place, calling it "nuclear blackmail".

But Nato spokesperson Farah Dakhlallah said it was "dangerous and irresponsible" and stated that Nato remained "vigilant".

Following a meeting in Paris with Mr Macron and Chinese President Xi Jinping, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said that she hoped President Xi would help de-escalate Russia's "irresponsible" nuclear threats.

Russia's sabre-rattling comes on the eve of President Vladimir Putin's inauguration for a fifth presidential term.

Ukraine's foreign ministry has said it will no longer regard Vladimir Putin as a legitimate president after his inauguration and has urged other countries and international organisations to follow suit.

However, a French diplomatic source quoted by Reuters said the French ambassador would attend the ceremony.

Germany and several other European countries have ruled out sending their envoys.

Off the Record / Historical Anniversary Thread
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:20:20 AM
Just a new (mega?) thread for various historical anniversaries.

200 years ago today, this little tune premiered in Vienna:

:wub:
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by grumbler - May 06, 2024, 08:50:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2024, 12:18:52 PMSame holds for the Shi'a: Ayatollah is not an official position but a title that a cleric acquires by popular acceptance or general consensus among appears.  It's just that who can claim the honor became politicized after the Revolution.  Technically an Ayatollah is just a very well-respected interpreter of Islamic law.

An Iranian I know explained it as "An ayatollah is more like a Supreme Court Justice than an archbishop."  Even then, their pronouncements are just advisory.
Last post by Admiral Yi - May 06, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.
Last post by Valmy - May 06, 2024, 05:39:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2024, 11:54:50 AMBears don't even make the list.

They are more of a threat to picnic baskets.
Last post by Valmy - May 06, 2024, 05:38:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2024, 11:46:27 AMI'm concerned about engaging further as you seem like you are getting into a place where you famously fly off the handle.

Though not so concern so as to not needle you. ^_^

What can I say? This is my safe space to vent.  :P

I just remembered something that pissed me off 20 years ago and YOU PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HEAR ABOUT IT
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by Barrister - May 06, 2024, 03:45:38 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 06, 2024, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2024, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 02:58:30 PMOJ Simpson sort-of reminds me of Michael Jackson.  MJ went through a big child sex abuse trial in (googles - 2005).  He was acquitted.  People seemed quite happy about that.  In the years since then the reputation of MJ has completely shifted though and people recognize he was a serial child sex abuser.
Maybe - with Jackson. I mean there's a biopic coming out next year starring his nephew but also with, say, Colman Domingo and Miles Teller in it.

I don't know what that will or won't cover.

Ive gotten the opposite impression, that Jacksons reputation has been largely rehabilitated with the general public.  :hmm:

I don't think so.

I mean I think where we went through a phase where people weren't sure if it was okay to play his music, and now that's gone away, but I don't think anyone's views on MJ himself have improved.
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by Eddie Teach - May 06, 2024, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2024, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 02:58:30 PMOJ Simpson sort-of reminds me of Michael Jackson.  MJ went through a big child sex abuse trial in (googles - 2005).  He was acquitted.  People seemed quite happy about that.  In the years since then the reputation of MJ has completely shifted though and people recognize he was a serial child sex abuser.
Maybe - with Jackson. I mean there's a biopic coming out next year starring his nephew but also with, say, Colman Domingo and Miles Teller in it.

I don't know what that will or won't cover.

Ive gotten the opposite impression, that Jacksons reputation has been largely rehabilitated with the general public.  :hmm:
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by Barrister - May 06, 2024, 03:02:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2024, 02:50:33 PMI was thinking " there was a similar story like a year ago", then I saw the date lol.

D'oh!